FedEx Freight | FedEx Buying Watkins!

My question is...........did FedEx buy them for the coverage, or to soak up the extra freight?? I thought FedEx Freight had all the coverage throughout the US?? I know in NC, we have both FedEx and Watkins in the same area. Someone has to go. :chairshot: DS.

Docksteward said:
My question is...........did FedEx buy them for the coverage, or to soak up the extra freight?? I thought FedEx Freight had all the coverage throughout the US?? I know in NC, we have both FedEx and Watkins in the same area. Someone has to go. :chairshot: DS.

Hmmm....you also have Yellow & Roadway in NC too!....KK

Watkins did 1 billion last year. We have 136 terminals and cover all states except Mt, Wy, SD & ND. We also have full coverage to Canada, Mexico and PR.

mud-flap said:
how big is watkins?? what part of the US do they cover??

"Watkins is part of Watkins Industries, which includes SunCo Carriers Inc., an LTL with refrigerated trailers; Watkins Canada Express Inc., Land Span, the truckload line; and Highway Transport Inc., a line of tanker trucks."

Kennesaw Kid said:
Hmmm....you also have Yellow & Roadway in NC too!....KK
Hey KK.......You are right but, I don't see FedEx playing the "share the freight" game on their quest to be #1. DS.

With the things Watkins has, they could easily use the Canadian rights, plus they get refrigerated ltl, a tanker line, and long haul capabilities, I think there will be plenty of work for everyone and then some, FedEx will be the global leader in all means of transportation.

FM

not the global leader

Watkins is only selling the Watkins Motor Lines division. As far as I know they are not selling our other trucking companies such as Highway Transport, Landspan, and Sunco.
Heck the Watkins family will need something to do after they sell off the big money maker.

Right Turn Clyde said:
Watkins is only selling the Watkins Motor Lines division. As far as I know they are not selling our other trucking companies such as Highway Transport, Landspan, and Sunco.
Heck the Watkins family will need something to do after they sell off the big money maker.
yeah they'll need something to do, like count cash.

I would ride it out local61man. a lot of older drivers will probably take severance and retire. there will probably be many opportunities for a full time gig coming up soon.

local61man said:
will the same happen to watkins as it did to american freightways by doing away with the watkins logo?

I will just about be 100% sure that anything Fedex buys will be Fedex branded.

i go and sign on this coming tuesday. they told me that i will get about 15-20 hours a week,but its a small terminal,so it looks like a gamble.

local61man said:
i may be hiring on at watkins part-time in the next week,i just wonder what will happen to me. lay-off,position cut out,etc.

local61man, remember that everything you have heard about a Watkins sale is RUMOR. Don't worry about your possible future with them until there is something carved in stone. You may be worrying about nothing.

Good luck

local61man said:
i go and sign on this coming tuesday. they told me that i will get about 15-20 hours a week,but its a small terminal,so it looks like a gamble.
Is there a FedEx Freight Center near-by?