Yellow | FEDEX Driver manual

Sort of like when fred says that freight you hauled yesterday will be pulled by usa truck today. Stay home.

That isn't a non-union phenomenon either, Ups Freight forum says otherwise. Yellow was putting freight on the rail many years ago
too. If my run gets cancelled I dovetail into the extra board where my seniority carries me.

UPS Freight utilizes outside carriers a lot. In fact I read in an article somewhere online (I'll post the link if I can find it) that UPS Freight utilizes in the neighborhood of 40% to 45% outside contractors. While that is taking place I have only worked two days this week. If they'd take some of that freight off the contractors I'd be working five days a week. Oh well.

Maybe you should direct your anger at the proper channels instead of posting inflammatory nonsense at your fellow drivers next time. It comes off petty and childish. Comments like that don't do much to persuade your fellow drivers at FedEx to want to organize, which I might point out, would greatly improve your bargaining power at YRC should you survive.

Ohhh no you di'ent!!

UPS Freight utilizes outside carriers a lot. In fact I read in an article somewhere online (I'll post the link if I can find it) that UPS Freight utilizes in the neighborhood of 40% to 45% outside contractors. While that is taking place I have only worked two days this week. If they'd take some of that freight off the contractors I'd be working five days a week. Oh well.

Got to say you're handling that very well... I'd be a little peeved!

Unfortunately I feel like this is the wave of the future. Now if we can just get a contract passed at UPS Freight I'd feel a little better moving forward. But I don't think the use of outside contractors at that percentage will decline. And given the fact that UPS and the IBT want to create a new class of unionized linehaul driver called an LHD at lower wages, I see the writing on the wall.

I knew this post would shake out some FEDEX'ers snooping around on our forum! First of all, I'm not trying to organize FEDEX, although we'd love to have you guys come aboard! In N.E. you could get into the new pension like UPS without all the debt obligations. I can send you a card if you want. Secondly, I was talking about the Freight division. We get paid extra for a lot of the things that's included in your trip pay, (i.e. placarding, DOT inspections, waiting for dispatch, etc.) In N.E.we get paid for all time involved fueling, waiting, drop/hooks, weighing, breakdowns, placarding, etc., or any other delay when the wheels aren't turning. Each leg of trip is mileage or 8hr mini, what ever is greater. Show up time when not put to work is 8hrs city, shortest trip road. I'm not going compare the whole manual with our contract, but we definitely have better work rules. We're the captains of the ship, we say whether or not the equipment is safe to drive without worrying about being fired. When you add in $10hr for what's paid into healthcare, dental, vision and then what's paid into our pension, it doesn't even compare! And, as far as the problems at YRC, they were caused by bad management, not the union! The Teamsters have given concessions to the company to make us more competitive with the non-unions. :butt kiss:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody said the problems at yrc were the fault of the union did they? I'm sure you don't snoop on anyone's forums if they were titled YRC Manual blah blah blah huh? We can all agree the pay and bennies many of us enjoy union or not is because of the union and what they did, however IMO there is a whole new generation that has never even seen a picket line but want to come on here and tell people to grow a set and fight the good fight while they themselves mail in their ballot with the yes box checked. Or they get the opportunity to do it again if too many vote no. You didn't give concessions to compete with the nons as much as you think if you know anything about what kind of freight these companies haul. ABF people might say they were damned near forced into concessions just to compete with YRC. Zollars and his dumba $$ decisions had more to do with your concessions than Fedex or anyone else but hate on.