FedEx Freight | FedEx Freight as opposed to FedEx National LTL

PocketChange

TB Lurker
Credits
The way it was explained to us by management is like comparing FedEx Express to FedEx Ground, Express is a premium priced 2-3 day package service Ground is a discount priced slower 5-7 day package service, Freight will be the premium priced faster freight service and National LTL will be the discounted slower 5-10 day freight service, which is essence will be competing with roadway and yellow for the customers that are not in a hurry to move certain freight and want a lower price comparable to yellow and roadway etc.

Both will operate as seperate entities <--- is that correct spelling?

That's what I got out of it in a nut shell too Pocket.
I think this is great !
I'm very happy for the company !
:1036316054:

PocketChange said:
The way it was explained to us by management is like comparing FedEx Express to FedEx Ground, Express is a premium priced 2-3 day package service Ground is a discount priced slower 5-7 day package service, Freight will be the premium priced faster freight service and National LTL will be the discounted slower 5-10 day freight service, which is essence will be competing with roadway and yellow for the customers that are not in a hurry to move certain freight and want a lower price comparable to yellow and roadway etc.

You are incorrect on the difference in the 2 services..... Freight is a premiun priced REGIONAL SERVCE.....Watins, soon to be National is a premiun priced national LTL Company which does compete with yellow roadway ect but we are much higher priced much like freight is higher than some of the other regional freight companies and Watkins provides 3 to 5 day service nationwide not 5 to 10 day service.I thought you would like to know. Here's looking forward to a smooth transistion.:bgroovy:

I think in the smaller terminals we will do like we do for Fedex Express frt.We pick up and deliver their freight for them.We will give them the national freight at the hub.This freight will be slower and cheaper.They will probably do like roadway.(Don't move them until they are full)

just a ballpark figure,percentage wise how muck do you think the former watkins freight will pick-up in the coming weeks?some of the fedex guys might lend a hand on this one.

local61man said:
just a ballpark figure,percentage wise how muck do you think the former watkins freight will pick-up in the coming weeks?some of the fedex guys might lend a hand on this one.
Acorording to my TM, during there conference call Friday fed-ex thinks this will increase Nationals/ Watkins frieght by 25%.

thats good numbers ,but its to early to tell.i just hope that the small watkins terminals pick-up some road runs and add p&d divers that will create some full-time jobs for us part-timers.

PocketChange said:

Have not the other companies within the Watkins Corp operated on their own too?.....KK

ls57racer said:
You are incorrect on the difference in the 2 services..... Freight is a premiun priced REGIONAL SERVCE.....Watins, soon to be National is a premiun priced national LTL Company which does compete with yellow roadway ect but we are much higher priced much like freight is higher than some of the other regional freight companies and Watkins provides 3 to 5 day service nationwide not 5 to 10 day service.I thought you would like to know. Here's looking forward to a smooth transistion.:bgroovy:

3-5 day nationwide service? That would match FedEx freights current service and from what i understood only conway and usf currently were matching that, But hey ill be sure to let my tm and ops managers know they are wrong in telling us that, Thanks for the info.:wavey:

Kennesaw Kid said:
Have not the other companies within the Watkins Corp operated on their own too?.....KK

Maybe ls57racer can answer that KK, aparently what i've been told is misinformation, And aside from what i've been told i really dont know much about watkins.

from what i see and hear, Freight will be premium service for customers that need the service, and this includes west coast. National will be a deffered service, basiclly waiting till the trailer filled to run it. the price would be a little cheaper due to revenue would be more on each trailer. customers could chose based off what they need. my opinion.

PocketChange said:
3-5 day nationwide service? That would match FedEx freights current service and from what i understood only conway and usf currently were matching that, But hey ill be sure to let my tm and ops managers know they are wrong in telling us that, Thanks for the info.:wavey:
I should add that a couple of yrs back we started hauling some truck load cheap back haul rate freight in some of the unbalanced inbound to outbound lanes to reduce the empty miles. That particular frieght is on a you get it when it gets there basis and is a very small % of what we have done in the past.:rolleyes:

I've been driving for wml for over 16 yrs. we were always told that all that wml has to sell is service and we charged the customer a premium price. Then we also have what they call almost air. (Like fdf expeditor) Also if the customer wants the freight am or pm. We hall a lot of high dollar electronics hdtvs plasmas etc. Wml would walk away from bad freight and cheap freight. So as for slowing down our service that would be unconscionable in my opinion. Wml doesn't do truckload either. Also we are kicking Yellow and big R's butt in cross country servive by a day at least in most lanes. Again I can't imagine that FDX would buy us then mess with the reputaion that wml built. Regional service is something that we were just starting to get into. We have had a lot of growing pains in this area. So maybe we at national can get back to what we due best.

wtnmale650 said:
from what i see and hear, Freight will be premium service for customers that need the service, and this includes west coast. National will be a deffered service, basiclly waiting till the trailer filled to run it. the price would be a little cheaper due to revenue would be more on each trailer. customers could chose based off what they need. my opinion.
You hit the nail on the head.