FedEx Freight | FedEx Freight vs Ups Freight

BumpDraft

TB Lurker
Credits
Just curious why FedEx Freight road drivers pay is 6 to 8 cents less on the mile vs Ups Freight road drivers. Is it the union? That's a big difference!!!

Just curious why FedEx Freight road drivers pay is 6 to 8 cents less on the mile vs Ups Freight road drivers. Is it the union? That's a big difference!!!
I work for FedEx Freight and the pay is over 0.7 per mile ,i dont think UPS freight drivers get paid 0.78 per mile

I work for FedEx Freight and the pay is over 0.7 per mile ,i dont think UPS freight drivers get paid 0.78 per mile
I've been a FedEx Freight for 19 years and my top road pay is 62 cents a mile. Top rate at ups freight is 70. You must live where the cost of living is high.

It all depends on location at FedEx Freight. At UPSF they have a national scale, giving them a huge advantage in many locations. Less (or none) in others.

You have to factor in the starting rate, as well. Can you stomach the low entry level rate, for the long term gain?

There are lots of union benefits, despite the initial pay gap. Their contract is up for renewal/renegotiation, but you can read the current one below, including wages/benefits.
http://www.teamsterslocal17.org/agreement/051613UPSMasterFreightFINAL.pdf

It all depends on location at FedEx Freight. At UPSF they have a national scale, giving them a huge advantage in many locations. Less (or none) in others.

You have to factor in the starting rate, as well. Can you stomach the low entry level rate, for the long term gain?

There are lots of union benefits, despite the initial pay gap. Their contract is up for renewal/renegotiation, but you can read the current one below, including wages/benefits.
http://www.teamsterslocal17.org/agreement/051613UPSMasterFreightFINAL.pdf

Too true! A senior FedEx freight guy/gal would be nuts to jump ship since he/she stands to loose nearly 10.00/hr.

Not to mention you will surely jump on a lift as soon as you park your truck.
I'd be happy to trade my truck for a lift. Only problem with that would be the pay cut. The real difference between the 2 companies isn't the pay. It's the pension. UPS offers a pension one can actually retire on. FedEx retirement depends a lot more on your 401. The pension is far from generous.

Our truck goes too fast already.

I'm starting to hate my new Peterbilt. The X15 cummins has so much power, it cut 7 minutes off my run time each day. That's 35 minutes a week (averaging the time, despite 3/2 bid), or 30.33 hours per year less clock time at $37.17 per hour. Effectively a paycut of $1,127.49 annually. Turn this tractor down!!!

ST

I'm starting to hate my new Peterbilt. The X15 cummins has so much power, it cut 7 minutes off my run time each day. That's 35 minutes a week (averaging the time, despite 3/2 bid), or 30.33 hours per year less clock time at $37.17 per hour. Effectively a paycut of $1,127.49 annually. Turn this tractor down!!!

ST
Drink more water and take more pee breaks.

ST
Plenty of flux capacitors floating around on ebay. That should fix your problem.

Too true! A senior FedEx freight guy/gal would be nuts to jump ship since he/she stands to loose nearly 10.00/hr.
Wouldn’t a person need to sit down and do their due diligence?
Decide how many more years the are going to work and then figure what the pay loss would be short term, what the payback period would be and what the gains in pension might be. Throw in the possibility of retiree medical and....
But we all know some people aren’t into long term commitments.

One thing I see the UPSF drivers complaining about constantly over on their board is how they're constantly being sat down while PTS hauls the freight. Their current contract has no protection against the use of PTS.

One thing I see the UPSF drivers complaining about constantly over on their board is how they're constantly being sat down while PTS hauls the freight. Their current contract has no protection against the use of PTS.
We have similar issues with bids being cut to outsource the freight.

Wouldn’t a person need to sit down and do their due diligence?
Decide how many more years the are going to work and then figure what the pay loss would be short term, what the payback period would be and what the gains in pension might be. Throw in the possibility of retiree medical and....
But we all know some people aren’t into long term commitments.

True, just speaking from a topped out drivers perspective. But I have serious doubts that anyone here would be willing to loose 2 grand a month or more. But if my info is correct, being a feeder driver for UPS freight is far more advantageous that UPS freight but I could be wrong

True, just speaking from a topped out drivers perspective. But I have serious doubts that anyone here would be willing to loose 2 grand a month or more. But if my info is correct, being a feeder driver for UPS freight is far more advantageous that UPS freight but I could be wrong
If you mean the regular UPS then yes its a night and day difference. Everything was drop and hook and you never saw the inside of the docks. The problem is it takes a really long time to get any seniority...you could be on call for 10 years or more.

ST
God help us if my partner sees that post!!!!