FedEx Freight | Fedex Retiree Health Care Coverage

Still haven't found the 2018 plan with the changes noted by Geeee.

No sense in going too deep into the 2017 plan, since it's changing, but I will share some interesting facts.

Again, the link to the download: https://fedex.ehr.com/ESS/Documents/educatepdfs/exnret_heg.2017.v1016.pdf

How to Enroll as a Newly Eligible Retiree:

"You must call the FedEx Benefits Center at 1.800.888.5622 to make benefit elections and add eligible dependents to your coverage. You will receive a Retiree Health Enrollment packet within 14 days of your retirement date. The packet will have your plan options, costs and instructions for enrolling. Be sure to review this information carefully to make enrollment decisions. It is important that you make your medical, dental and/or vision benefit elections by the deadline indicated in your personalized letter contained in your packet. You will also receive a Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (COBRA) packet allowing you to continue your existing active medical, dental and/or vision coverage.
If you fail to make your Retiree Health Coverage elections including deferring your coverage, you will not have another opportunity in the future to enroll in Retiree Health Coverage for you or your eligible dependents. Once you elect to commence your Retiree Health Coverage, you will receive separate billing information.
You may defer commencement of your Retiree Health Coverage while participating in COBRA. However, it is important that you review both packets before making your Retiree Health elections."

If you don’t have access to FedEx Benefits Online, a computer or the internet, you can still call the FedEx Benefits Center at 1.800.888.5622 to enroll. But the easiest and most convenient way to access information about your benefit choices is by logging in to FedEx Benefits Online at fedex.ehr.com.

"You must contact
the FedEx Benefits Center within 31 days of the date
your active group health coverage ends so that you may commence your Retiree Health Coverage.
If you do not elect coverage by this deadline, you will not be able to elect coverage at a later date." (Note recurring theme)

Newly Eligible Retirees:

"As a newly eligible retiree, you must elect retiree medical, dental and/or vision coverage by the deadline indicated in your Retiree Health enrollment packet. If you do not elect coverage by this deadline, you will not be able to elect coverage at a later date. If you wish to defer commencement of your Retiree Health coverage, you must still make your election to defer commencement of coverage by the enrollment deadline."

Now, I'm not a retirement expert, nor do I really want to be. But we do need to define the term "eligible", in this conversation. At what point are we "eligible" to retire, per FedEx? Clearly prior to 65, but when? Research will continue as time allows...

Last edited:
Last one, just for informational purposes. The 2017 plan costs, for what pretty much looks (at a glance) like the same group plans we currently have, including the reimbursement accounts:

7Ilkvtu.jpg

When I retired in 2012, retiree health benefits were not available to Freight employees.. They were available to all other opcos, including freight employees in the Memphis HQ..

Well after further follow up by our SCM, "THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO US". It's found in the online site for "My Retirement Benefits" but only applies to a select group of brass from Fedex Freight Corp. You were right Swamp, don't know why they put it out there for all to see. Oh well the dream was nice while it lasted.

One more just for you Dave:

"Too long have the workers of the world have waited for some Moses to lead them out of bondage. He has not come; he never will come. I would not lead you out if I could; for if you could be led out, you could be led back again."

Eugene V. Debs.

Oh what the hell, one more for good measure!

"As long as he owns your tools he owns your job, and if he owns your job he is the master of your fate. You are in no sense a free man. You are subject to his interest and to his will. He decides whether you shall work or not. Therefore, he decides whether you shall live or die. And in that humiliating position any one who tries to persuade you that you are a free man is guilty of insulting your intelligence."

Eugene V. Debs

Well after further follow up by our SCM, "THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO US". It's found in the online site for "My Retirement Benefits" but only applies to a select group of brass from Fedex Freight Corp. You were right Swamp, don't know why they put it out there for all to see. Oh well the dream was nice while it lasted.

Thanks, but I'm not absolutely certain that is the case. A SCM does not provide the final word on topics like this. I don't want to take credit for being right unless it's true.

Stay tuned...

Thanks, but I'm not absolutely certain that is the case. A SCM does not provide the final word on topics like this. I don't want to take credit for being right unless it's true.

Stay tuned...
He is sort of right.. It does apply to folks at Freight HQ in Memphis, all of them not just brass.. Their benefits are the same as Fedex Corporate.. They also get more vacation then other FXF employees.. I had a friend who worked here entire career at Viking/FXF and a couple of months before she retired her department (sales) was moved to Fedex Services.. When she got her retirement package she was surprised (pleasantly) to discover she was eligible for retiree for health benefits.. I asked about it when I retired and while they didn't laugh at me, they said no, that is only available to freight employees who work at Memphis HQ.

He is sort of right.. It does apply to folks at Freight HQ in Memphis, all of them not just brass.. Their benefits are the same as Fedex Corporate.. They also get more vacation then other FXF employees.. I had a friend who worked here entire career at Viking/FXF and a couple of months before she retired her department (sales) was moved to Fedex Services.. When she got her retirement package she was surprised (pleasantly) to discover she was eligible for retiree for health benefits.. I asked about it when I retired and while they didn't laugh at me, they said no, that is only available to freight employees who work at Memphis HQ.

Thx. AR, I couldn't remember all the details.

Stay tuned...

Pretty sure he got his info from Dist. manager & HR

RC called the benefits people on an unrelated issue yesterday and after getting info on the other issue, he told the person helping him that he was hearing rumors about retiree health benefits. The person helping RC said that was news to him. I think that was a nice way of saying no such thing.
RC persisted and stated it had to be true because he read it on the internet. The other person and RC had a good laugh and wished each other well and hung up.

I too called the number provided. After a series of automated prompts and selections, a real live person checked my info. The fact that I'm still "active" in the system limited the info she could provide. She gave me another number, where I could learn the 2018 details on applicable credits, etc. She was nice enough to connect me internally. After EXTENSIVE hold time, I was informed that this number was only for initiation of the benefits. I was given yet another number to call, for the info...Not yet called that one.

Each of the above contacts stated that upon retirement, a packet would be mailed within 14 days. This personalized packet would provide all of the details...

Last edited:
The conflicting information is the only reason for continuing the research into this. I want to be absolutely certain, one way or the other. Were almost there...

The PDF download, shared previously, says this:

"Retirees eligible for the benefits described in this guide include any former U.S.-based or domestic employee of FedEx Corporation; Federal Express Corporation; FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage, Inc.; FedEx Trade Networks Trade Services, Inc.; World Tariff, Ltd.; FedEx Corporate Services, Inc.; FedEx Trade Networks, Inc.; FedEx Freight Corporation; FedEx CrossBorder and any other subsidiary that adopts the Plan who has satisfied the eligibility requirements for the Plan. Former employees of Federal Express Virgin Islands, Inc., retirees domiciled in Guam and collectively bargained pilots are not eligible to participate."

Then we have this link http://plantoday.van.fedex.com/resources which guides us to the various operating companies.

The FedEx Freight Corporation link says:

"Applicable for employees of the following operating companies: Federal Express Corporation, FedEx Corporate Services, Inc., FedEx Corporation, FedEx Freight Corporation (holding company employees only), FedEx CrossBorder, LLC, FedEx Trade Networks, Inc., FedEx Trade Networks Trade Services, Inc., FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage, Inc., and World Tariff, Limited."

The FedEx Freight Inc. link (with no mention of such benefit) says:

"Applicable for employees of the following company: FedEx Freight, Inc."

Obviously the key distinction is the difference between FedEx Freight Corporation vs FedEx Freight Inc.

So, unless you work for FedEx Freight Corporation, it appears that your retiree health benefit will be limited to COBRA. I'll still call that final number they gave me, just for the absolute confirmation & perhaps some specifics on the actual COBRA costs.

Until then, it appears to be case closed...

Last edited: