Central Transport | Fedex to buy vitran

Where are you pulling double 53 footers at???

We pull them in the Southwest division. We can pull them from Kansas city (KAN) to the Texes/Oklahoma state line. There are actually like 16 states that it is legal to pull Doulbe vans, van and pup, triple pups. I pull those combinations every night from Wichita (WIC) to Kansas City every night.

Way out west is where they do that. Of course, most of the trailers I see are junk, since you guys back east keep the new ones.

Hard to see the back of the trailer as this Vitran trailer was sitting in Fed-Ex ground yard with the nose facing 88th street.

I asked my T.M. (a former F.E. T.M.) if he had heard of any scuttle about F.E. considering buying Vitran. His response? "Why would F.E. buy Vitran?" My response- "Why did Vitran Buy Milan Express?" I did not get an answer.

From what I hear Fed-Ex needs Canada. Supposedly their sales people have said they will have Canada real soon and are selling it. Fed-Ex line haul out around North Platte told our line haul that they have purchase a huge chunk of land for a container service of some kind. Out around or near Ogallala Ne. There rumor is that they are going to turn the U.S. portion into some kind container service. They ain't going to tell you anything. Talk to the ones getting fired.

I just noticed my first one at the dock in Indy Thursday or Friday night with the "P" on it. I'll take a look-see Monday when I get down there, or if I can't find one I will just ask around. The pintle-hook theory makes sense to me though. Twin 53's can be pulled on the toll road from Chicago(Gary area) across IN and OH. BUT-- it requires a very clean record from all concerned. The co.CSA(we're out) and the driver's record and years experience comes into play for that one.

From what I hear Fed-Ex needs Canada. Supposedly their sales people have said they will have Canada real soon and are selling it. Fed-Ex line haul out around North Platte told our line haul that they have purchase a huge chunk of land for a container service of some kind. Out around or near Ogallala Ne. There rumor is that they are going to turn the U.S. portion into some kind container service. They ain't going to tell you anything. Talk to the ones getting fired.

FedEx Freight Canada Locations

FXF already has a Canada operation. We picked it up as part of the Watkins acquisition in 2006.

oaf

Like OAF just said, they have already established a presence in Canada.... As far as the container rumors, we don't know anymore than you do......

Fedex has had Canada ever since they bought Watkins.

I just noticed my first one at the dock in Indy Thursday or Friday night with the "P" on it. I'll take a look-see Monday when I get down there, or if I can't find one I will just ask around. The pintle-hook theory makes sense to me though. Twin 53's can be pulled on the toll road from Chicago(Gary area) across IN and OH. BUT-- it requires a very clean record from all concerned. The co.CSA(we're out) and the driver's record and years experience comes into play for that one.

Most of us in the Southwest Grandfathered in to the LCV rules much like those whom Grandfathered into Hazmat. Most of you would have to go thru a class and with a driving portion. The rules for LCV are in the DOT green book and driver qualifcations. LCV rules are not enforced. I contacted safety, I wanted to be a trainer but, our safety department isn't concerned with it. What makes a LCV is not the length but, the gross weight of the vehicle must exceed 80,000 pounds. So yes you can pull all over length combinations if your truck has the permits without being certified as a driver because your "doubles" endorsement covers it. My truck is permitted in the state of kansas for a max length of 125 feet with a gross weight not to exceed 120,000. Now all you cry babies that complain about how your truck dosen't pull be my guest and come on down to Wichita and hook a set of heavy triples and run the flint hills in the wind.....you will never complain about power again!

We pull them in the Southwest division. We can pull them from Kansas city (KAN) to the Texes/Oklahoma state line. There are actually like 16 states that it is legal to pull Doulbe vans, van and pup, triple pups. I pull those combinations every night from Wichita (WIC) to Kansas City every night.

And you do it illegally. The Kansas turnpike allows double vans (45' Max length each), a van (48/53') and a pup, a van (45') and 2 pups or triples as long as the rig is not over 120,000 lbs. (90K in OK) and 119 (2005 rules) foot long. Of course no one pays attention to the rules because no one enforces them. Hell, when I was leased to Chris, we didn't even have the KSTPK permit.

Try this one on for size........
Could the Fed Ex/Vitran scenario be that Fed Ex is going to contract out some of their hauling with the influx of Canada freight which may overload their Linehaul as is? Con Way bought out another company to make Con Way Truckload (and still uses Werner and Swift) Every so often I see other carriers at USF and Fed Ex terminals too (they may be hauling in truckload for breaking and distribution also)

vitran doesnt even pull triples down the ind,ohio toll road, they would have to pay more for " floor loaded pups, cuz we all know dockworkers at vitran really arent the greatest loaders in the industry............ I'm not trying to take shots at anyone, It's just everyday that I come into work and see the outbound trls, that most of them if loaded right would take up alittle more then half of the space, that is what I call "chasing greatness".