FedEx Freight | FedEx tumbles after lowering earnings guidance, cites global trade slowdown

Sumting Wong

TB Lurker
Credits
  • FedEx Corporation (FDX) After Hours Trading
    FDX $173.88 * $-11.13 Down 6.02% 52 Week low in normal hours trading was $181.28

• The logistics company lowered its full year 2019 earnings guidance to a range of $15.50 to $16.60, down from $17.20 to $17.80 per share. Analysts expected $17.33 per share.
  • The company announced plans to cut costs, including a voluntary buyout program, limiting hiring, reducing international network capacity at FedEx Express and reducing discretionary spending to help save costs.
  • "Global trade has slowed in recent months and leading indicators point to ongoing deceleration in global trade near-term," said Alan B. Graf, Jr., executive vice president and chief financial officer of FedEx.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/18/fed...fter-lowering-earnings-guidance-for-2019.html

FDX $173.88 * $-11.13 Down 6.02% 52 Week low in normal hours trading was $181.28

• The logistics company lowered its full year 2019 earnings guidance to a range of $15.50 to $16.60, down from $17.20 to $17.80 per share. Analysts expected $17.33 per share.
  • The company announced plans to cut costs, including a voluntary buyout program, limiting hiring, reducing international network capacity at FedEx Express and reducing discretionary spending to help save costs.
  • "Global trade has slowed in recent months and leading indicators point to ongoing deceleration in global trade near-term," said Alan B. Graf, Jr., executive vice president and chief financial officer of FedEx.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/18/fed...fter-lowering-earnings-guidance-for-2019.html
Sounds like the excuse for No Bonus to me sorry drivers

They should open up our 401K to stock purchases again plus allow us to buy FedEx stock at a discount from our pay.

You make it sound like FX is THE ONLY company showing a downturn.
Paid attention to the markets in the last YEAR?
Everything is sketchy right now.

Seen XPO's stock lately?

Buy me out! Buy me out!

And everything isn’t sketchy right now. You’re watching too much CNN and XPO sucks (well the head honcho does anyway)

I don't watch CNN, and yes, this time is the textbook definition of sketchy.
Dow dropping 700 Monday, being up 500 tuesday, down 400 Wednesday, and having done that for the last 12mo along with unstability is a LOT of the large European places + a trade dispute with one of the worlds largest players is NOT the definition of stable.

I don't watch CNN, and yes, this time is the textbook definition of sketchy.
Dow dropping 700 Monday, being up 500 tuesday, down 400 Wednesday, and having done that for the last 12mo along with unstability is a LOT of the large European places + a trade dispute with one of the worlds largest players is NOT the definition of stable.

Market still up a substantial amount since trump took office. Just because our stock dropped 11 dollars in one day doesn't mean anything. Downturn my ass if you worked here you would know that we are really busy.

Market still up a substantial amount since trump took office. Just because our stock dropped 11 dollars in one day doesn't mean anything. Downturn my ass if you worked here you would know that we are really busy.

I'm on your side. I was defending Fx Vs the other cardiers.
I know it doesn't, but OVERALL, there is skepticism with the current trade unknowns.
Stock price and the level of freight have little to do with each other.
Some, not everything.
Almost every carrier is busting at capicity.

There's tons of talk about another recession coming. Most of it is coming from Wall Street and the idiots at CNN. I don't believe a word of it. The only thing dropping the value of transportation right now is the dropping price of oil, which will result in cheaper fuel and therefore lower surcharges.

This "slowdown" I keep hearing about isn't evident at all; dispatch asked me if I wanted to work Christmas Eve because we're so busy, and that's in TL. When I declined, their first question was "When are you going to be back to work?" Capacity is still tight. There's still not enough drivers. Pay is still on the rise. I don't see a slowdown.

FedEx: At Least Amazon Wasn't The Culprit

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4229474-fedex-least-amazon-culprit?dr=1

"The stock initially took a hit due to the Amazon fears as the online retailer expands their Amazon Air operations. The stock took another hit due to the loss of the FedEx Express President. Now, the stock is taking a hit due to EPS cuts from the updated guidance related to the prior issue with FedEx Express.

The stock has now taken too many hits and dipped to a forward P/E multiple of about 8x, down from nearly 15x. While the FY20 estimates are likely to dip further from the current estimate above $18, one can easily argue that the stock could return to the previous multiple on an EPS stream of $17 next year. Such a move would place the stock back at $255."

One analyst's take on things...

There's tons of talk about another recession coming. Most of it is coming from Wall Street and the idiots at CNN. I don't believe a word of it. The only thing dropping the value of transportation right now is the dropping price of oil, which will result in cheaper fuel and therefore lower surcharges.

This "slowdown" I keep hearing about isn't evident at all; dispatch asked me if I wanted to work Christmas Eve because we're so busy, and that's in TL. When I declined, their first question was "When are you going to be back to work?" Capacity is still tight. There's still not enough drivers. Pay is still on the rise. I don't see a slowdown.

That’s just the Libs wanting Trump to fail. Trump may not be the saving grace for this country, but it did stop that wench from being president and staved off that downward spiral this country was headed on for at least 4 years.

IMO he won’t be interested in reelection or perhaps wouldn’t even win at this point. He’s a good no nonsense kinda man, but we nationalist will need someone a bit more polished and centrist to represent us if we are to see this country on a more positive path.

Runs cancelled most nights past few weeks.
At least in Chicago market...
Not buying "not enough drivers"... but depends on location and its customer mix.