Feds looking in on Sysco's hours of service violations.

Uh Oh!

It is stuff like this that is driving the push toward universal e-log use. Also, the guy in the video that rear ended the disabled car, why was he in the hammer lane? In California trucks are not allowed in the left lane, anywhere in the state.

Ever.

Ruh Roh, it sounds like GTs in for a pay cut now.

Uh Oh!

It is stuff like this that is driving the push toward universal e-log use. Also, the guy in the video that rear ended the disabled car, why was he in the hammer lane? In California trucks are not allowed in the left lane, anywhere in the state.

Ever.
In the link Pro 1 posted earlier today it said he was sitting in the right lane, so who knows which ace reporter is correct.

Uh Oh!

Ever.
Article says that they are on computer logs, isn't that the same as e-logs?

Sysco is already on ELOGs. There's a fundamental problem with ELOGs though:

Just because you get an HOS violation with an ELOG doesn't mean it goes str8 to the Feds. They won't know of the violation until said violation is caught during a level 1 and/or an audit.

Sysco is already on ELOGs. There's a fundamental problem with ELOGs though:

Just because you get an HOS violation with an ELOG doesn't mean it goes str8 to the Feds. They won't know of the violation until said violation is caught during a level 1 and/or an audit.
And not only does driver have ability to make certain edits, the company can make more detailed edits.

In the link Pro 1 posted earlier today it said he was sitting in the right lane, so who knows which ace reporter is correct.

From the news video in the story.

SyscoWreck_zps334f1c69.jpg

Search me.

And not only does driver have ability to make certain edits, the company can make more detailed edits.

From what I have seen so far, different companies set them up with varying degrees of "editability". Some allow the driver to edit everything but on duty driving time, some do not allow the driver to edit any entries.

I also have heard from various drivers that there seems to be quite a bit of difference in just how much the company will edit the log data. Some claim that their company can and will edit everything, some say that the company claims that they do not have the ability to make any edits to the data.

In the case of this Sysco story, it would appear that the company has indeed been doctoring the log data, to show that drivers are only on duty for 16 hours once every week, rather than the multiple days that the anonymous driver claims in the news report.

You're correct. The driver can edit everything except line 3. This is outlined in the regs. Companies can edit the ELOGs as well. There are a few urban myths with ELOGs,

1) You automatically get CSA points if you violate a reg with an ELOG.

Not true. The ELOG is directly linked to the carrier, and no one else.

2) ELOGs will prevent HOS violations.

Not true. ELOGs will flag a violation making it easier for an LEO to spot, but they do nothing to stop them from happening besides warn the driver when he/she is close to running out of hours. If the driver keeps on going, the ELOG won't do anything. It won't shut off the truck, hit you on the head with a hammer, etc.

My company allows us to edit on and off duty time only, which really just saves a driver hours against his 70 if he forgets to switch and logs 10 hours on duty while on a break as I have done. Start dozing off..."did I change status?... I dunno, snore... worry about it when I get up...snore,"

But driving time is etched in stone, for the driver anyway.

But the company can change anything the want. I know because a city driver, unfamiliar to the elog, used my truck for three days while I was on vacation. I came back to a mess. One day he managed to leave it on driving overnight while he was off. I had about 60 hours combined driving/on duty in three days on my account. I have since learned to completely log out of the system whenever I am home.

I called the home office and they made it all go away and reset me to 70 hours. I would be skeptical of a company saying they didn't have that ability.

Name one company that hasn't or doesn't push their drivers to drive over. Some just do it more often then others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name one company that hasn't or doesn't push their drivers to over. Some just do it more often then others.

Everyone does it, even my own employer. It's part of being a trucker. You're going to be pushed around.

*Yes, my employer is exempt, BUT they try to follow the 60/7 rule. It doesn't always work out though. I'm poised to work 84 hrs this week*