TForce | Feeder driver

Hell, that makes me want to jump ship. That 'seasonal' part is a show stopper for me though.

A buddy of mine works there and he said there really feeling the pinch for drivers. There a huge sign in front of there facility off 294 looking for srivers

I take it that you are talking about a parcel driving position and not a freight position. If they said feeder you will be running to and from terminals like you do for conway. As I'm not very familiar with parcel operations I can not help you out much beyond that. However I can tell you that if that is the parcel hub off of 294 it is the 2nd largest parcel facility in the country behind Louisville Worldport.

Sorry renegade you are mistaken. The Addison terminal is NOT the cache hub off of 294. Addison is the toilet bowl of the small PAC terminals in the area. At least that's what I hear from the "feeder" driver I talk to.

Sorry renegade you are mistaken. The Addison terminal is NOT the cache hub off of 294. Addison is the toilet bowl of the small PAC terminals in the area. At least that's what I hear from the "feeder" driver I talk to.
10-4 I don't know what they call the hub there I just know it's the 2nd largest in the country. Also that helps me understand how they could close Addison down for a yr or 2 for equipment upgrades. I couldn't see them closing the 2nd largest facility to upgrade right now with volume so heavy out there

What yr did u work? $14.00? It's 27 an hr right now. I can deal with that until Jan.

Actually its 29$ an hour in my area. I know this because i went thru the entire hiring process in october. Keep in mind the hub where i applied is in a Feeder driver deficit so
full time is very possible . I had 2 interviews, a good road test and passed the drug/phys. exam. I was very straight foward with the H.R. person and told him i had one prior accident in which the other party was 100% at fault and charged. The individual felt the need to make a cell call while driving his car, crossed the centerline and slammed into me.
He admitted full fault to the state patrol. UPS said that wouldnt be an issue. when i went to turn in my new medical card i was told there was 1 issue, the accident was under review by UPS . Needless to say they wont hire me because it is on my DMV record. So when UPS says "Clean DMV record" i guess they mean zero on your record even if its not your fault. Perhaps its an Omen for me. I was giving up 19 years seniority and 4 weeks vacation with benefits for a job with a Prestigeous carrier the Offers NO benefits or Health insurance for seasonal positions. Think carefully, if you fall and get hurt you are done. God forbid you have a minor accident while under probation you are done. This is how UPS works

Thanks guys. Was told it was just seasonal with the possibility of full time after January. Doing drug test now and starting Monday. Hope all goes well

If you are truly serious about going full time here is how you can make a good impression with the managers.

1. Do not call off unless the weather makes it too dangerous. Don't be late for your work assignment. When they say show up at work at 7:00am/pm you get there at 6:30am/pm
2. Make yourself available for any and all work calls. That would include working in the yard once in a while or traveling to another terminal to fill in for a guy on vacation.
3. Be professional and answer your cell phone when they call you.
4. Let them know you want to be a full time employee.
5. Dont assume anything. Always ask lots of questions. There are a lot of good people at this company who will gladly help you.
6. Show up a half hour early (Im not kidding about this), pre trip your truck and pull your load as scheduled.
7. After you have slept your 6-8 hours call them before your 10th hour and let those dispatchers know you want to work everyday. They will put you to work after that 10th hour.

Good luck I wish you all the best with UPS. And yes we are having difficulty finding good people to drive these trucks. UPS is not immune from the driver shortage either. Do a good job and you could easily have a job for life.

If you are truly serious about going full time here is how you can make a good impression with the managers.

1. Do not call off unless the weather makes it too dangerous. Don't be late for your work assignment. When they say show up at work at 7:00am/pm you get there at 6:30am/pm
2. Make yourself available for any and all work calls. That would include working in the yard once in a while or traveling to another terminal to fill in for a guy on vacation.
5. Dont assume anything. Always ask lots of questions. There are a lot of good people at this company who will gladly help you.
6. Show up a half hour early (Im not kidding about this), pre trip your truck and pull your load as scheduled.
7. After you have slept your 6-8 hours call them before your 10th hour and let those dispatchers know you want to work everyday. They will put you to work after that 10th hour.

Good luck I wish you all the best with UPS. And yes we are having difficulty finding good people to drive these trucks. UPS is not immune from the driver shortage either. Do a good job and you could easily have a job for life.
Thanks for the advice buddy. That's something I did at Conway for 10 yrs and it got me nowhere. This past yr they gave me a 9 am start while guys on the flex which have about 4-5 yrs in were starting at 4,5,and even 6 am and Doing their 12 hrs while I was struggling to get 8. Morning supervisor wanted me early and even freight operations manager asked for me in early but terminal manager wouldn't give it because I went above him last yr about a complain so in sure that had to do with him not moving me up. A guy who starts at 4:30 broke his hand and has been in light duty since March which after 4 months that person should be replaced and again nothing. They just used the flex. Why? Cheaper labor. But that's all in the past. I start Monday and I hope it's a start to a new beginning and a new career. Once again, thanks for the advice

Thats really sad you got shafted like that. Nothing worse than showing up and doing what your supposed to do only to get treated that way.

It does pay $27 an hour as a seasonal. You will more than likely get put on permanently after your seasonl stint is over. Seasonal should end after December. They will then ask if you would like to work for them permanently. You will than go through the hiring and training process all over again.

Most important rule of thumb here is don't get hurt or damage anything. Do what they ask of you. Not sure of something? Ask a manager or fellow feeder driver. Keep management aware of any situations. Don't assume.

You should be fine. We are putting on so many Conway and FedEx drivers it's ridiculous. They all love it by the way. You guys are "Turn Key". You know doubles and already have expierence. It makes it easy on them(UPS). YRC Freight and Holland drivers are plentiful here as well.

Yes it's true they are closing Addison down to rebuild it and make it sate of art. It's not closing completely, but in two phases for the rebuild. Some drivers are being sent to other nearby centers. Not sure which ones. I'm hearing Bedford Park and Northbrook.

Haven't talked to anyone that is unhappy about making the move to us. Even as a seasonal. It will more than likely lead to permanent employment. You will not be babysat here. Get your work and go. Everything comes through the IVIS(tractors computer). Just do what they ask of you. This includes everything you'll learn in training. Pull the air chord tank twice, use your heel not your toes, key in hand when out of tractor etc. you'll be fine.

Please be wise with your money. It's rough in the beginning. Those that have a little money to fall back on will make it. Those that don't will fail. You may not get five days every week, may only get four. Possibly even three. Will it be like that always?No,just be prepared that it's a possibility.

Get ready because this is nothing like freight. Easier in most aspects, but harder in others. We run a tight ship(tighter than what you're used to)but you'll figure it all out. Good luck and welcome to "Big Brown".

8. Bring doughnuts. Good private bakery trumps Dunkin' Doughnuts.

It does pay $27 an hour as a seasonal. You will more than likely get put on permanently after your seasonl stint is over. Seasonal should end after December. They will then ask if you would like to work for them permanently. You will than go through the hiring and training process all over again.

Most important rule of thumb here is don't get hurt or damage anything. Do what they ask of you. Not sure of something? Ask a manager or fellow feeder driver. Keep management aware of any situations. Don't assume.

You should be fine. We are putting on so many Conway and FedEx drivers it's ridiculous. They all love it by the way. You guys are "Turn Key". You know doubles and already have expierence. It makes it easy on them(UPS). YRC Freight and Holland drivers are plentiful here as well.

Yes it's true they are closing Addison down to rebuild it and make it sate of art. It's not closing completely, but in two phases for the rebuild. Some drivers are being sent to other nearby centers. Not sure which ones. I'm hearing Bedford Park and Northbrook.

Haven't talked to anyone that is unhappy about making the move to us. Even as a seasonal. It will more than likely lead to permanent employment. You will not be babysat here. Get your work and go. Everything comes through the IVIS(tractors computer). Just do what they ask of you. This includes everything you'll learn in training. Pull the air chord tank twice, use your heel not your toes, key in hand when out of tractor etc. you'll be fine.

Please be wise with your money. It's rough in the beginning. Those that have a little money to fall back on will make it. Those that don't will fail. You may not get five days every week, may only get four. Possibly even three. Will it be like that always?No,just be prepared that it's a possibility.

Get ready because this is nothing like freight. Easier in most aspects, but harder in others. We run a tight ship(tighter than what you're used to)but you'll figure it all out. Good luck and welcome to "Big Brown".
Sounds like something I'm looking for. With Conway I would sit around for sometimes up to 45 min waiting for pickups. I think I was 1 of the few or only one that would would call dispatch and tell him to send me pickups. He would just say " hey just take another lunch". I can't stand just sitting around. Lol. As a driver that's what I'll be doing huh? But u know what I mean. As long as I'm moving I'm happy. I've never been lazy and always worked hard. Apparently hard for the wrong company. Once again thanks for the pointers. Well if u excuse me, I need to say my goodbys to my beard . Take care buddy and lookin forward to my first day tomorrow even though I was told it will be videos and paperwork but hey, I'm in

All depends on what "side" you're being hired for as well. Local 705 or 710. We have two different locals in the Chicago area. 705 does all local work. 710 does all road work. You'll more than likely be 710. If that's the case, you'll probably start your day by building a set and running out to let's just say Indianapolis. Once there you'll break that set and put them in doors, go inside and take your meal(we don't call it lunch). Finish up and at that point you should have work sitting in your IVIS. May have to hook another set or grab a long box and make your way back to Addison. That's your day. Easy Peasy. Weather and traffic are your biggest concerns. Get a CB and make acquaintances with those around you. Try to get some phone numbers. A lot of times there's a guy running just a little ahead of you or for that matter going to Indy at the same time.

Sounds like something I'm looking for. With Conway I would sit around for sometimes up to 45 min waiting for pickups. I think I was 1 of the few or only one that would would call dispatch and tell him to send me pickups. He would just say " hey just take another lunch". I can't stand just sitting around. Lol. As a driver that's what I'll be doing huh? But u know what I mean. As long as I'm moving I'm happy. I've never been lazy and always worked hard. Apparently hard for the wrong company. Once again thanks for the pointers. Well if u excuse me, I need to say my goodbys to my beard . Take care buddy and lookin forward to my first day tomorrow even though I was told it will be videos and paperwork but hey, I'm in

Don't worry you won't ever hear take another lunch at UPS and they do keep you moving at a brisk pace. With your experience in LTL the only piece of equipment that will be different is the dollies. They are a counterbalanced dolly. You will learn it in a quick training session but it is different. By the way shave everyday or they will make you shave at the terminal with those crappy disposable razors. Good luck and welcome to Brown.

All depends on what "side" you're being hired for as well. Local 705 or 710. We have two different locals in the Chicago area. 705 does all local work. 710 does all road work. You'll more than likely be 710. If that's the case, you'll probably start your day by building a set and running out to let's just say Indianapolis. Once there you'll break that set and put them in doors, go inside and take your meal(we don't call it lunch). Finish up and at that point you should have work sitting in your IVIS. May have to hook another set or grab a long box and make your way back to Addison. That's your day. Easy Peasy. Weather and traffic are your biggest concerns. Get a CB and make acquaintances with those around you. Try to get some phone numbers. A lot of times there's a guy running just a little ahead of you or for that matter going to Indy at the same time.

I was told by driver trainer who took me on road test that I'm local 705. Is that good or bad? Honestly I just want to work and enjoy working. Not dread going to work

Yellowpride is right on the money....follow his advice. 705 is good as you can do many different jobs if you got the seniority to hold them. Any questions just ask one of your fellow drivers....they've all been happy to help so far. I thought it would be really strict here....as long as your working safe you'll have no problems. Good luck!