Female student looking for a company...any suggestions

hunnyB

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm fresh out of trucking school looking for a good company. I live in NJ and appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
the "usual" places for some students is one of the big mega carriers. in NJ, (can't say where for sure), there is indeed JB Hunt.

then you are lucky enough that also in NJ (along I-95 NJTP) there are many LTL carriers as well that may give you a chance.

sometimes you have to start working the docks, sometimes you have to start as a yard switcher.

also, again, near the airport, you have FedEx.

you even have at or about exit 12 off the pike in Carteret i believe..??? the C&J warehouse..???

you in NJ have a pretty darned good chance to at least pound the pavement and get to fill out applications.

any place can be a "good place" to work, it's is all what you make of it.

please remember too, that right out of school, you want to start working ASAP. many times, if you go past 3 months, or 6 months and no job, you have to go back to school for a refresher course, usually on your own dime however.

best of luck to you, being in NJ, you might really have it better than someone living in say Florida....(no kidding)

If your looking to go OTR you shouldn't have issues at all, I got out of school about 6mo ago and went to a beer company and was lucky enough to get on bulk grocery right away (no hand trucks for me) :) In another 6 months I can start applying to other local stuff that pays!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Thanks pro1driver. I have a couple of the big carriers on my list, but just wanted to see if there's anything I'm missing.

Thank you snatale42. Everyone does seem to offer OTR starting out, which I obviously have to be open to, but I would love something more NE Regional if I could get it...you know to at least get home on weekends.

Really Guardrail...US Xpress was one of my choices. I didn't realize they had a program designed for female drivers

Woody was a bad boy. :732: C'mon she was a newbie even. You should go sit out in Magoo's shack and repent.

Really Guardrail...US Xpress was one of my choices. I didn't realize they had a program designed for female drivers

some companies do have female trainers. however, i do not know if there is a "waiting list" to get on with one.

that being said, sometimes, going OTR gives a newbie the very best experience driving many roads, and weather and traffic conditions.

back in my day, it was called "4 seasons driving", and that of course would include the plethora of mountains to drive through.

some students are indeed "lucky enough" to get a local job right out of school, but to me personally, i think they lose out on the experiences, even if for only 3 to 6 months worth.

when i graduated, like back when God was a mere tot in pre-school all we could do was go OTR, or "long haul" as it was really known then.

many companies "do try" to get you home for a weekend, but be forewarned, that in trucking, a "weekend" is any 2 consecutive days off, like Thursday, Friday, Wednesday, Thursday...."local" companies most times, if you do an over night run, and have to stay out, you may be able to be home for Saturday, Sunday.

PM Guardrail for more information regarding the US Express training

Woody was a bad boy. :732: C'mon she was a newbie even. You should go sit out in Magoo's shack and repent.

well....someone...must have deleted what was said....

so what woody should now be saying is.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Guardrail. In my researching companies I've found everything you said to be true. I really appreciate your comments.

It was very mild...no chAins, wipps, positions.... etc.
"I didnt even ask to pull bunny ears"...geez

Ps. Do you think she would change her mind ..if I told her my real nAme was woodpEcker ?

It was very mild...no chAins, wipps, positions.... etc.
"I didnt even ask to pull bunny ears"...geez

Ps. Do you think she would change her mind ..if I told her my real nAme was woodpEcker ?

:LMAO:....

yOU dA mAn wOOdy.....

wE sTilL LiKe yOu..........

sHE jUSt DoN'T kNow yOU iS aLL

wHICh iS wHy yOU'Re oUR sPEciAL wOOdpEcker..........:notworthy:

Estes in Pine Brook is always hiring. I know they need p&d drivers if you want to be home everyday. They already have a girl for p&d so that won't be an issue. I was with that bunch for almost 10 years. They're a good bunch of people. Trucks.... Not so much.