Female student looking for a company...any suggestions

If your looking to go OTR you shouldn't have issues at all, I got out of school about 6mo ago and went to a beer company and was lucky enough to get on bulk grocery right away (no hand trucks for me) :) In another 6 months I can start applying to other local stuff that pays!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I was on auxiliary bulk grocery delivery for the first half of the day today and then spent the second half of the day going all over the place doing hot shots. Was in a 20 bay side loader on Thursday, the company I work for only has a couple 20 bay side loaders. Speaking of hand trucks I need a new one.

I was on auxiliary bulk grocery delivery for the first half of the day today and then spent the second half of the day going all over the place doing hot shots. Was in a 20 bay side loader on Thursday, the company I work for only has a couple 20 bay side loaders. Speaking of hand trucks I need a new one.

I have a brand new wheeler Mike, I made dang sure of it, knowing I was going back on delivery, the boss got me a new curb ramp too! Its really nice, and bright yellow so the dummies that fancy the phone more important than the deadly missile they are driving, might spot it before they run it over..LOL!

I have a brand new wheeler Mike, I made dang sure of it, knowing I was going back on delivery, the boss got me a new curb ramp too! Its really nice, and bright yellow so the dummies that fancy the phone more important than the deadly missile they are driving, might spot it before they run it over..LOL!

I've already started specking out the new Magliner I am going to buy. I own a Magliner Gemi II that I paid well over $600.00 for it, but one of the liquor drivers from my previous job uses it and it's a little to much for what we do at my work it's a convertible and that's to much for what I need. The wheeler I was issued my first day at work didn't last all but a couple weeks and the barings all went to H-E-L-L and now the thing sqeeks and wobbles along, it'll do the job, but I don't know, one day I am afraid it's going to just break.

Curb ramps the Budweiser guys here in Cleveland have those, but not where I work. I get to muscle the wheeler up the curb back words with the stair glides.

I try to stay away from two wheelers and pallet jacks.

hunnyB you might want to try Fedex Freight. They have a couple of female drivers in my area and they pay OT. I'd stay away from Estes, Old Dominion, R&L and some others because they do not pay OT. I am not sure what Conway's OT policy is but with them it could vary across the country, and could change on a whim too. That extra 1/2 time makes a huge difference over time.

I've already started specking out the new Magliner I am going to buy. I own a Magliner Gemi II that I paid well over $600.00 for it, but one of the liquor drivers from my previous job uses it and it's a little to much for what we do at my work it's a convertible and that's to much for what I need. The wheeler I was issued my first day at work didn't last all but a couple weeks and the barings all went to H-E-L-L and now the thing sqeeks and wobbles along, it'll do the job, but I don't know, one day I am afraid it's going to just break.

Curb ramps the Budweiser guys here in Cleveland have those, but not where I work. I get to muscle the wheeler up the curb back words with the stair glides.

You boys need to get one of these:

Magliner Stairclimbing Hand Truck

1clk170egs4-magliner-liftkar-powered-stair-climbing-hand-truck-ergo-170-model-ergo-handle.jpg

And for only $3,527.50 it is a steal.

for some of you guys that "have to" buy your own equipment, have you ever browsed Harbor Freight.com or given any thoughts at all to going to a rental place that sells used equipment..??

or even Craig's List..???

just a'wonderin', is all......

Stay away from any company that tries to force you to lease a truck from them.

when i was teaching a couple of years ago, i had a student, that couldn't afford a pair of wally-world work shoes....what...$19.99..??

but he could ALWAYS afford $6 or more each day for a sandwich, and snacks...

then he gradumacated....

and signed a lease deal right out of school....

ain't never heard anything good after that....

you can talk someone till you're blue in the face about NOT getting involved with a lease deal......

but the driver-trainers especially at C R England, make you feel so good about the deal..........

but yes, PLEEZ, Miss hunnyB........

​STAY DA HELL AWAY FROM LEASE DEALS............!!!

hunnyB you might want to try Fedex Freight. They have a couple of female drivers in my area and they pay OT. I'd stay away from Estes, Old Dominion, R&L and some others because they do not pay OT. I am not sure what Conway's OT policy is but with them it could vary across the country, and could change on a whim too. That extra 1/2 time makes a huge difference over time.

back before God was born, and i graduated from trucking school, another student from my class went straight over to OD, he started on the docks, maybe for all of 1 month..??

got put into the city, been there ever since.

i may not know the pay they get, or OT, but something has to be good about OD..?????

WOW, you guy's have Magliners? All i have is the 35 buck Home depot special

when i was teaching a couple of years ago, i had a student, that couldn't afford a pair of wally-world work shoes....what...$19.99..??

but he could ALWAYS afford $6 or more each day for a sandwich, and snacks...

then he gradumacated....

and signed a lease deal right out of school....

ain't never heard anything good after that....

you can talk someone till you're blue in the face about NOT getting involved with a lease deal......

but the driver-trainers especially at C R England, make you feel so good about the deal..........

but yes, PLEEZ, Miss hunnyB........

​STAY DA HELL AWAY FROM LEASE DEALS............!!!

Well, since you named the demon from Utah anyway. The school I helped build, Interstate Driver Training was pretty well put out of business by that firm. I begged the owner not to get himself involved with then and he wouldn't listen to me. At the time ANY company was glad to take our graduates but we turned all of them away and became an exclusive Crengland school. Big mistake.

Hunny, if you are listening in, here is the routine: You lease a truck, you get your fourth check for $150 in four weeks so you quit. England (and others) put an "abandoned truck" on your DAC report and no company will hire you from then on. What they are doing is allowing the driver to make their truck payments for them. You never actually get a truck paid off. You never get the student loan paid back and that goes on your credit. When it gets back to the school that so many students never paid back the student loans, then the school can no longer get financing.

Even a decent CDL mill can be good for you IF you know what you are getting into going in. You never stop learning how to drive. In fact, trucking will force you to take an entirely different look at life. After all, we truckers should run the world. We are the only people with enough time on our hands to figure out the worlds troubles. We are poets, philosophers, song writers and world changers. As the planet sleeps we are on the road, carrying tomorrows rations. Everything that it takes to operate the world comes on a truck. We are the invisible servant to the world that everyone takes for granted. But we know without us, the world stops and runs out of toilet paper.

We are not only the most important piece of the American economy, we are also the most ignored and sometimes hated. We have to stick together, and that is something truckers haven't been good at in the past. Do well, be patient with others. Always be kind to other truckers and do what Katie my old student did and show them fellers that a Woman can drive a truck just as good as a man. Katie did it better! She is in the Texas oil field kicking ass and taking names and I am proud of her and all of the gals I taught to drive. Be wise and think for yourself. Trust those who you should and don't listen to those you don't naturally trust.

And remember, the key to a long career in trucking is patience.

Good luck with finding a good gig, these guys have the low down on the OTR and LTL, exceptional insight on what to, and not to do. If you ever find yourself near an oilfield I can help you out ;)
Better late than never, so welcome to the boards!

Good luck with finding a good gig, these guys have the low down on the OTR and LTL, exceptional insight on what to, and not to do.

Aw, shucks ma'am! Yer makin' me blush!

If you ever find yourself near an oilfield I can help you out ;)

Sometimes I wish the oilfield stuff was closer to where I am. I know that there is good money to be made there.

Great suggestion!

Aw, shucks ma'am! Yer makin' me blush!

Sometimes I wish the oilfield stuff was closer to where I am. I know that there is good money to be made there.

Great suggestion!

Its good money but unless you're single it's a terrible way to live. Last month they worked me 7 days a week, now this month its a 4 on 5 off schedule..can't even pay for daycare with the girls out here. Had to call it quits for the summer :/ To make matters worse I could work 60 hours in 4 days, but not see a dime of overtime because they split the pay periods. Not my favorite company.

There can be $$$ in the patch, but you have to go during a boom.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Its good money but unless you're single it's a terrible way to live. Last month they worked me 7 days a week, now this month its a 4 on 5 off schedule..can't even pay for daycare with the girls out here. Had to call it quits for the summer :/ To make matters worse I could work 60 hours in 4 days, but not see a dime of overtime because they split the pay periods. Not my favorite company.

There can be $$$ in the patch, but you have to go during a boom.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Sounds like a hell of a way to make a living. Hope things pan out better in the near future.