ABF | finally

Haha. I bet! I think this will be a good opportunity. They are getting 50-60 hours a week over here, but he says he obviously wants to change that.

I've been slowly chipping away at school, juggling my job and supporting a family of 5. I'm a junior now, and see the light at the end of the tunnel. ABF seems like a good place no matter the career path I choose to take.

I'm hoping to see a turn around at some point in the industry, however long that may take. I'm hoping this will be a good decision for me and my family.

Good luck to you whichever way you go. Going to school and working in the freight industry would be one tough juggling act.

Good luck to you whichever way you go. Going to school and working in the freight industry would be one tough juggling act.
Yeah that's why I have to take one or two classes max. It's not easy, but I want to finish. Especially hard doing P&D in the evenings right now.

I fully expect a graveyard shift to start at ABF.

Mlang, one of the most important things in life is knowledge. If you let management know that you are trying to finish your education I am sure they will work with you. You just have to ask AND be willing to work with them. Good luck and congratulations!!!!!!

Would a full time checker/P&D new hire expect to work overnight?
It is impossible to know for sure what shift you could end up with. Bids are posted when a new hire comes on and the terminal probably has start times all hours of the day. Bottom man gets what's left and that depends on what the other guys want. And regardless of when you start you never know when you are going to get done.

It is impossible to know for sure what shift you could end up with. Bids are posted when a new hire comes on and the terminal probably has start times all hours of the day. Bottom man gets what's left and that depends on what the other guys want. And regardless of when you start you never know when you are going to get done.
Yeah I figured that. The unknown is scary, but if worked all shifts and done rigorous labor. I'm ready for anything, and willing to work hard and extra if needed.

I've hooked a set before, but not to experienced and it was a training exercise. Hopefully they will be lenient on that in the road test.

Yeah I figured that. The unknown is scary, but if worked all shifts and done rigorous labor. I'm ready for anything, and willing to work hard and extra if needed.

I've hooked a set before, but not to experienced and it was a training exercise. Hopefully they will be lenient on that in the road test.
If you have hooked one you're one ahead of me when I showed them I knew how to do it, it's that easy...at least it is for us unnaturaly naturals.

Do P&D driver shifts span the whole 24 hours? Over here 1pm is the latest shift, but no dock work. Latest I've worked is 3am. Sound similar?

Do P&D driver shifts span the whole 24 hours? Over here 1pm is the latest shift, but no dock work. Latest I've worked is 3am. Sound similar?
At ABF you are a dock worker/driver qualified to do all jobs at the terminal. Only larger terminals are 24 hour operations but many come close to it. Anywhere from midnight to 4 PM start would be possible and maybe even those in between depending on the terminal and the customers. Say you have a large shipper shipping 24 hrs a day and need a man to load, monitor loading and/or shuttle the loads. Three guys starting at all hours around the clock to cover it is a possibility. To garner a start time between 7 and 9 AM would be an improbability. And have they filled you in on your personal time off days (vacation, sick and personal)?

At ABF you are a dock worker/driver qualified to do all jobs at the terminal. Only larger terminals are 24 hour operations but many come close to it. Anywhere from midnight to 4 PM start would be possible and maybe even those in between depending on the terminal and the customers. Say you have a large shipper shipping 24 hrs a day and need a man to load, monitor loading and/or shuttle the loads. Three guys starting at all hours around the clock to cover it is a possibility. To garner a start time between 7 and 9 AM would be an improbability. And have they filled you in on your personal time off days (vacation, sick and personal)?
Yeah I know the situation with all that. That sounds good. FTW is pretty small, but I know anything is possible. I hate start times at the 8pm to 10pm range. I much prefer a start time between midnight and 4pm.

Yeah I know the situation with all that. That sounds good. FTW is pretty small, but I know anything is possible. I hate start times at the 8pm to 10pm range. I much prefer a start time between midnight and 4pm.
Good luck. Sounds like you have the proper attitude to get through anything the job throws at you.