Financial Planning

When we were homeowners, we paid everything early. Debt free. Then went the opposite, paying electric company, water company etc 500 plus a year one time each year. Over or under just became a paper exercise while the money piled up.

It was a time of prosperity, go out on truckloads for weeks or months while the house needs essentially nothing to sleep each month. Stack even more money.

If Dispatch said no freight and you sit a month? Plenty of savings for that. The cost is on the company fueling as needed while waiting. That ran into thousands of dollars. Usually they wont do that again.

This year has destroyed everything financial. We are still cash only, no debt and so forth so on. However there is no point in making any plans anymore. Essentially if there is no future or no tomorrow, then enjoy today because that might be all you get.

When we were homeowners, we paid everything early. Debt free. Then went the opposite, paying electric company, water company etc 500 plus a year one time each year. Over or under just became a paper exercise while the money piled up.

It was a time of prosperity, go out on truckloads for weeks or months while the house needs essentially nothing to sleep each month. Stack even more money.

If Dispatch said no freight and you sit a month? Plenty of savings for that. The cost is on the company fueling as needed while waiting. That ran into thousands of dollars. Usually they wont do that again.

This year has destroyed everything financial. We are still cash only, no debt and so forth so on. However there is no point in making any plans anymore. Essentially if there is no future or no tomorrow, then enjoy today because that might be all you get.
Agree with your first point. We save a few hundred $ paying our auto insurance annually vs monthly for example.

Your debt free example is exceptional. However, that doesn’t exactly line up with the gloom & doom don’t plan anything rationale. I save to afford retirement. If I die tomorrow, my wife gets it. Beyond that, my kids get it. My doom & gloom strategy? One can’t save enough $.

I am not necessarily gloom and doom.

If I can see a worse case scenario I'll find a way to make lemonade out of the truck load of lemons. In other words solve the problem if necessary.

I appreciate the encouragement on annual paying if possible core bills. However you cannot plan for something that is a sort of ELE on finances. Our car got hit sideways a few days ago, fortunately that driver was insured and it's currently being rebuilt at the body shop for thousands of dollars at his insurance expense. We are running a Rental car for a couple of weeks also at insurance company expense.

They really want to total the thing for parts. Its a good car. But we probably will take the insurance money and sink it, pay the difference between that and actual damaged beyond totaling. Its cheaper than buying a whole another car for a unknown set of problems that caused the previous owner to sell it. My previous vehicle turned out to be not only a lemon but also a fire risk. So I am getting rid of it as well. There are a rack of CTS V's in the local dealer that I am planning on buying cash outright. They are cheap enough in this failed economy thanks to Covid.

I am worth a lot more dead than alive. When I pass the Executor will just cut checks to this, that, heir, and small bills. Done. With the cancer situation, if they use the rider and cut me a check for the whole thing, the executor will find herself with very little to do as everything is taken care of prior to death cold cash.

There isnt very much I find attractive to me anymore in life as far as spending money and engaging in consumerism and bill paying. That got old quick. So Ive gone the other way. Pay only what is required and let the cash pile up big time. Even the cremation and necessary arrangements are paid up as well.

Thats why maybe there is a appearance of gloom and doom. I am cheerfully looking at the end of life and I better am off getting a new body in heaven at a relatively early age in life than to exist for 40 more years in care of a nursing home (Or abuse of rather..) there is nothing in such a existence. The only decision I would be required to make is just one.

Do I want a slice of tomato and lettuce on my one issued cottage cheese on white bread each noon for lunch? And I wont have the joy of making the thing either. They'll just toss it onto the plate and tell me to hurry up, mandating lunch period is almost over.

Might as well. No one listens to a trucker anyway when he or she points out potential problems with a load in any given work day.

I am not necessarily gloom and doom.

If I can see a worse case scenario I'll find a way to make lemonade out of the truck load of lemons. In other words solve the problem if necessary.

I appreciate the encouragement on annual paying if possible core bills. However you cannot plan for something that is a sort of ELE on finances. Our car got hit sideways a few days ago, fortunately that driver was insured and it's currently being rebuilt at the body shop for thousands of dollars at his insurance expense. We are running a Rental car for a couple of weeks also at insurance company expense.

They really want to total the thing for parts. Its a good car. But we probably will take the insurance money and sink it, pay the difference between that and actual damaged beyond totaling. Its cheaper than buying a whole another car for a unknown set of problems that caused the previous owner to sell it. My previous vehicle turned out to be not only a lemon but also a fire risk. So I am getting rid of it as well. There are a rack of CTS V's in the local dealer that I am planning on buying cash outright. They are cheap enough in this failed economy thanks to Covid.

I am worth a lot more dead than alive. When I pass the Executor will just cut checks to this, that, heir, and small bills. Done. With the cancer situation, if they use the rider and cut me a check for the whole thing, the executor will find herself with very little to do as everything is taken care of prior to death cold cash.

There isnt very much I find attractive to me anymore in life as far as spending money and engaging in consumerism and bill paying. That got old quick. So Ive gone the other way. Pay only what is required and let the cash pile up big time. Even the cremation and necessary arrangements are paid up as well.

Thats why maybe there is a appearance of gloom and doom. I am cheerfully looking at the end of life and I better am off getting a new body in heaven at a relatively early age in life than to exist for 40 more years in care of a nursing home (Or abuse of rather..) there is nothing in such a existence. The only decision I would be required to make is just one.

Do I want a slice of tomato and lettuce on my one issued cottage cheese on white bread each noon for lunch? And I wont have the joy of making the thing either. They'll just toss it onto the plate and tell me to hurry up, mandating lunch period is almost over.

Might as well. No one listens to a trucker anyway when he or she points out potential problems with a load in any given work day.
Godspeed Driver