Finding a way to pay it back

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So today Budweiser helped me deliver 14 kegs. I got to the stop first, but there were 2 of them and one of me and they had mostly cases where I had 14 1/2 barrels. So there driver told me to pull my kegs off of my trailer and his helper unloaded there cases and did there stop while I picked the kegs and he rolled them into the stop for me. It actually probably saved me a lot of time. I have to find a way to pay those guys back somehow. The Budweiser driver who helped me out hates the distributor I work for he used some very strong language to describe what he thinks of the company I work for.

Yesterday one of the smaller specialty distributors if I wasn't running a tad behind I would have helped there driver. He had 17 stops all with like 15-20 1/2 barrel. The stop I ran into on he was running way out of gas and needed a hand unfortunately I had my own problems and couldn't have helped him or I would have, kind of like how Budweiser helped me today.

Somehow I need to pay those guys back for pay it forward to someone else.

Sometimes a supervisor will show up while I'm at a stop to do an "evaluation". Sometimes they have been following me and watching me for a couple of stops before they actually walk up to the truck. I never know when they are going to show up, I never know when someone else, a customer or whoever is gonna see me do something and call it in.

I'm paid to deliver the groceries that the customer orders from us, I'm not paid to stock the customer's shelves, I've been instructed to wheel them in as far as I can and drop them. If the customer wants me to please lift the heavy box onto the shelf, I'm not supposed to.

As much as I'd like to help, especially if I'm waiting on another driver, I can't, and I won't allow another driver or customer on my trailer, I won't even let them borrow my dolly.

It's all about the liability issues nowadays. What if the supervisor saw me delivering groceries for our competitor? What if I was injured while working during my mandatory lunch break? What if the customer slipped and fell off the trailer ramp? Fired fired fired, that's what. Or how about an injury at work that workman's comp won't cover? One of my friends at church works for the unemployment insurance place, and he/they have to decide which claims to deny. If I'm fired for doing something blatantly against company policy, I may not get any unemployment checks.

So it's great to have comradery with other drivers, but I'd stop short of trying to pay them back while on the clock or letting them do you another favor.

Just my 2 cents.

very true tw. liability is huge these days. we live in a world of lawsuits, especially with large corporations. if one of those kegs got loose and rolled and hit someone, and you weren't the worker, and the keg was from your company, you and your company are in trouble. just be careful--- a little bit of time saved isn't worth your job

Back in the day (sheesh, I sound old) you just helped your fellow driver out. The only payment I required for helping someone was they help the next guy that needed help.

Guardrail

I wasn't expecting anything I would have just as soon, let them cut in line do what they have to do and roll on there way. What happened was the Budweiser driver on that route has a lot more experience then I have way more experience and pretty much told me what to do. However, usually those guys do there thing and I do mine. This probably won't happen again as this place was new and this was there first time order.

I know when I worked at the restaurant a Sysco driver let me into the trailer to get a box of french fries and he said "Yesterday 2 supervisors were following me, and I didn't even know it until the middle of the day when they walked up to the trailer."

Your right though it's all liability and lawyers and stuff like that and it's really kind of sad in a way.

So today Budweiser helped me deliver 14 kegs. I got to the stop first, but there were 2 of them and one of me and they had mostly cases where I had 14 1/2 barrels. So there driver told me to pull my kegs off of my trailer and his helper unloaded there cases and did there stop while I picked the kegs and he rolled them into the stop for me. It actually probably saved me a lot of time. I have to find a way to pay those guys back somehow. The Budweiser driver who helped me out hates the distributor I work for he used some very strong language to describe what he thinks of the company I work for.

Yesterday one of the smaller specialty distributors if I wasn't running a tad behind I would have helped there driver. He had 17 stops all with like 15-20 1/2 barrel. The stop I ran into on he was running way out of gas and needed a hand unfortunately I had my own problems and couldn't have helped him or I would have, kind of like how Budweiser helped me today.

Somehow I need to pay those guys back for pay it forward to someone else.
In that case,maybe a giftcard of some kind would do. I don't know say $10.00 for a fast food place or something! Keep 1 or two in your pocket. Just saying...

In that case,maybe a giftcard of some kind would do. I don't know say $10.00 for a fast food place or something! Keep 1 or two in your pocket. Just saying...

That's exactly what I did. That's also what I am going to do keep a couple on hand at all times.

I was followed one time by a supervisor. He pulled in after I backed into a parking lot and he parked in front of my truck waving at me. I walked up to him and asked if he's been following me and he said no I said don't lie. He's like yeah I have been. That's the new thing they want us to do. He seen me pull into a stop so he turned around to watch and followed me for 2 or 3 more stops. I was pissed. After that I didn't trust the company. He was a good guy just doing his job (he was are trainer). But the way I see it. I'm a professional you don't need to follow me around to see if I'm doing my job. Maybe if I was screwing around on my route and having complaints. He said I had nothing to worry about I did everything perfect

I was followed one time by a supervisor. He pulled in after I backed into a parking lot and he parked in front of my truck waving at me. I walked up to him and asked if he's been following me and he said no I said don't lie. He's like yeah I have been. That's the new thing they want us to do. He seen me pull into a stop so he turned around to watch and followed me for 2 or 3 more stops. I was pissed. After that I didn't trust the company. He was a good guy just doing his job (he was are trainer). But the way I see it. I'm a professional you don't need to follow me around to see if I'm doing my job. Maybe if I was screwing around on my route and having complaints. He said I had nothing to worry about I did everything perfect
Next time call the police. You are hauling foodstuffs and are being stalked by an unknown and fear for your safety. That will be the last time they follow you

Sometimes they have been following me and watching me for a couple of stops before they actually walk up to the truck.
I've been doing this so long I can't remember, do normal people have to put up with this at work?
They've been doing a lot of this crap here. I know they've got a job to do, but the sneaking around like a parent trying to catch a teenager hiding p*on honestly aggravates me. I expect to be checked on at some point or another, but when I look up and see a Sysco pickup parked behind some trees across the street trying to sneak around..it's just ridiculous and even a bit insulting that they think I don't see them. About 3 yrs ago a guy got in trouble the day after he pulled up behind a parked pickup and threw a tomato at one of the supervisors after having been followed (harassed)but not approached all day. Didn't get fired but if I remember right he got a nice mini-vacation.
We have one we call "Officer" who sneaks around the lot in the morning to disperse groups of people talking (we always have to wait on the warehouse for our loads) and check to see if we're doing our pretrips, and a new director of Trans who sits at his computer each morning watching camera footage of the lot.

Screw that Lazlo. I couldn't work for people that watch me that close. For the most part I get treated pretty good at saia at my terminal. Everyone is laid back for the most part and as long as you do your job they leave you alone.

I would say, that if management has time to follow and screw around like that, then that means what ever place it is, is over staffed, I would say lets get rid of these drivers and have these managers do the work, they can do it better and know better anyhow, so what do they need some flunkie like myself for? If I am so incompetent that I need to be followed by someone, then I don't need to work there, management can do my job, better then me, so I'll go home and they can go do my work. The company should thank me, they don't have to pay me benefits, don't have to pay my salary , don't have to worry about me as a liability. It's great, no need to worry about a driver shortage if anything there's to many drivers when we have people who get paid to waste time following around working people.

I've been doing this so long I can't remember, do normal people have to put up with this at work?
They've been doing a lot of this crap here. I know they've got a job to do, but the sneaking around like a parent trying to catch a teenager hiding p*on honestly aggravates me. I expect to be checked on at some point or another, but when I look up and see a Sysco pickup parked behind some trees across the street trying to sneak around..it's just ridiculous and even a bit insulting that they think I don't see them. About 3 yrs ago a guy got in trouble the day after he pulled up behind a parked pickup and threw a tomato at one of the supervisors after having been followed (harassed)but not approached all day. Didn't get fired but if I remember right he got a nice mini-vacation.
We have one we call "Officer" who sneaks around the lot in the morning to disperse groups of people talking (we always have to wait on the warehouse for our loads) and check to see if we're doing our pretrips, and a new director of Trans who sits at his computer each morning watching camera footage of the lot.

One of the OTR drivers at my company once corned a boss and started shouting and screaming in the bosses face.

Screw that Lazlo. I couldn't work for people that watch me that close. For the most part I get treated pretty good at saia at my terminal. Everyone is laid back for the most part and as long as you do your job they leave you alone.

When I become your boss at Saia, I'm gonna follow you, if that back box wiggles even once, your getting an unpaid vacation sister!!!!

I paid Budweiser back this week, I got him a gift card to Gordon Food Services grocery store and gave it to him when I ran into him down town on Thursday. He thought it was quite something and now I get help from him any time.

I also tried to give one of the drivers from my company a gift card to Subway, but he wouldn't take it, said we were all on the same team. I always have 3 gift cards for like 10-12 bucks in my work bag just in case you never know when stuff like that comes in handy and even if the people don't accept I think the gesture goes a long way.

Yeah, it's us against the cases.
Yup, it doesn't matter what the side of the trailer says, we are all out here doing the same job. I have helped several US Foods, Sysco and even my former company's drivers in one way or another. I am also friends with a Sysco driver who is in the same yard as I am. We both have a camp at the same campground.