ODFL | Finding Trailers

kito

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to line-haul-trucking. I am stationed at the Saint Louis terminal, and I have to say that most of those folks are the nicest most helpful gentlemen (and women) that I've ever had the pleasure to meet in any profession. They went out of their way - when they didn't have to - to help out a newbie trucker like myself when I would make mistakes or have problems with faulty equipment. Without asking for help, they would just come over and offer to help repair a problem. That type of courtesy is unique. I've had many professional jobs in my life (I have more letters after my name than most people have IN their name) and my current opinion is that no profession can compete with the kindness I have experienced from one trucker to another in my brief time (2 weeks) at Old Dominion.

My one question is this: Is there anyway to speed up the time it takes to locate a trailer at a large terminal such as Indianapolis? I've done that run 3 times, and each time it takes me over an hour to locate the 2 trailers I need.

Thanks

Welcome to truckingboards and the O.D. forum kito.I'm sure you will make some new friends here.I can't tell you anything about the Indy yard but I'm sure there's somebody on here that can.In the big yards when a switcher gets an out on a trailer they tell him by the switcher computer what section to put the trailer in.This works good if everybody does their job and until the yard gets blown out.If I were going into a big yard on a steady basis I would get to know the switchers.But if you'll stand by or check back I'm sure you will get better advice.

Welcome aboard Kito.
I will try to keep this brief.
1. Check the closeout time on the manifest.If it is older than 8 hours,check the 3 rows to the left, or South, of the fuel island.
2. If the the trailer was closed out in under that time and there are a bunch of trailers in front, or to the West,of the fuel island,check there first and work your way over to the other rows.

The above are not guarantees but some rough guidelines that have helped others in the past until they became more familiar with things.
Hope it helps. If you have any questions while you are there, just ask.
I'm sure you know this, but, just a reminder, always and I mean always, double check your seal numbers.

BTW, in my opinion, your manager is one of the best in system.

Welcome kito.
What has helped for me in yards like indy is just scan the last 3 numbers of the trl you are looking for when you see the 3 numbers then check the rest of them. Like mr freeze said make sure you check the seal numbers. I had 2 wrong pulls a few years back and now i double check the seals and trl numbers. Dont feal bad not being able to find your trls in indy. My trainee and i spent over 2 hours looking for one a few weeks ago. Come to find out it was back by the shop behind another trl.

last time i went to indy i noticed when the trailer was loaded in indy it was near the fuel island and when it is a relay trailer they are usaully located where the trailers are slanted. PS when you go to indy make sure you have locks on your trailer and when your pulling your jiff connected to the tractor put the chain in the loop hole and dont speed around. Because the saftey supervisor is located out of indy and drive around outside and will write you up if he sees anything wrong.

Yes there are a lot of ways to make finding your trailer faster and easier. Unfortunately they involve getting hourly paid employees or management to do something. They on the other hand know that you are riding around searching for that trailer for free so they have no incentive.

PS when you go to indy make sure you have locks on your trailer and when your pulling your jiff connected to the tractor put the chain in the loop hole and dont speed around. Because the saftey supervisor is located out of indy and drive around outside and will write you up if he sees anything wrong.
that saftey guy is always writing drivers up i seen him write a team up for violating hours of service because the co driver got out of the sleeper to help hook also have seen him park a daycab in the yard and hide in it to watch for speeding drivers he also patrols the interstate around ind always have to watch for him

Thanks for the advice on finding trailers - it has actually helped. Another 'newbie' question I have is regard to the landing gear. I've noticed that some gear goes up when turned clockwise, but other gear goes down when turned in the same direction. Some of the trailers also have a low gear mode when you push the handle in, and others have a low gear when you pull the handle out. Is there a patter connected with the type of trailer or the gear manufacturer that would clue me in to which way to crank so I don't look any more like an idiot than I already do?

Thanks for the advice on finding trailers - it has actually helped. Another 'newbie' question I have is regard to the landing gear. I've noticed that some gear goes up when turned clockwise, but other gear goes down when turned in the same direction. Some of the trailers also have a low gear mode when you push the handle in, and others have a low gear when you pull the handle out. Is there a patter connected with the type of trailer or the gear manufacturer that would clue me in to which way to crank so I don't look any more like an idiot than I already do?

When hooked try tu turn to both sides.
You figure it out quickli which side goes easier.

if youve been here only 2 weeks and getting your tls in a hr.,dont worry ,your doing fine!!that place has been a mess since day 1.just take your time ,it will all come to you easer each time you go there.and just when u get it all figureed out,they'l probly change it around!!you'll like working for od.good luck and take care.

Kito,

You can't take this as gospel but just my observation that most of the older trailers, like the ones starting with "5", are clockwise to raise the legs. Then the newer ones starting with "7" are counter-clockwise to raise them. Most all of those seem to have the low-gear side with the handle pushed in.

The only exception on the low gear thing I can think of off the bat is the old trailers that start with "583" most of those seem to have low gear with the handle pulled out.

But to confuse the mix you will have trailers that came from other carriers we bought like WSKT, UW, and Priority. They may go either way and sometimes have the crank on the wrong side! On those it really is trial and error.

Don't kick yourself too hard on this or any other thing. I have been here just over a year and have seen long time vets with OD have a problem like working the landing gear. Just take your time and do it safe.

Best to you,

Just wait til you hook to a trailer with the landing gear handle on the rt. side!

The previous post is right on. The older trlrs crank clockwise for up and the newer ones are the opposite. The 583 series which are old Averitts with the ribs have the fast landing gear and high gear is out all the others are usually push in for high.

Most important landing gear lesson is to dump the handle before cranking. The handles will fill with water and will soak you if you forget.

Also do us a favor and always get in the habit of pulling and dropping the handle so the switcher doesn't bend it like a pretzel when he backs it to the dock. You'll understand when you get one that you have to play with because it's bent.

One more thing. When cranking the landing gear down it isn't necessary to raise the drives off the ground. Don't crank the gear all the way to the ground, if it's an empty leave an inch or two and if it's full leave a 1/2 inch or so. It will prevent high hooks and will also make cranking the gear up easier for the next guy.