SAIA | Fired Driver Lands New Job...

Trucker Rich

TB Lurker
Credits
Let me tell you guys that now is not a good time to be looking for a new driving job... I went to every LTL company in Fresno last week looking for a job.

With resumes and perfect DMV printouts in hand, I went door to door to all of them, and I told them I was looking for a driving position... All I got were sad faces looking back at me...

I could not drop off one resume, or even get one application... They were all laying off drivers, and planned more...

It is like Saia management was using one of the orbiting spy satellites to see where I was going next, call them and telling them not to talk to me.

Regardless of why I was let go, there just are not any good paying jobs out there...

I did happen to land a good job though. My wife's boss is friends with the owner of a trucking company here in town. She had mentioned to her boss, that I was out of work and HE called his friend and asked if there were any openings. He said that a truck just became open. But, he had 15 applications on his desk for that one position. On your recommendation, I will put his application on top of the stack... (He does not know anything about my background or experience...)

My wife's boss told her, to let me know, and gave me his personal cell number. I called him and made an appointment for an interview. I went to the interview and he told me about the job. I said that I had been with Saia for 6+ years and I ran OTR for 11 years before that. I would be willing to do this job but wanted to check into other options first... He understood perfectly...

He handed me an application and told me to bring it back next Monday (Jan 5). Let him know either way, if you want the job, it is yours...

I went in Monday and he hired me. I did my physical and drug screen yesterday and start the paperwork and drive test today...

This is a small company that hauls its own products... They run refers to all points as far as Texas, and all back hauls are raw materials to make more products in the factories here in town.... The run I am getting will be to Texas and straight back... But will go where ever they send me... Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Spokane, Portland...

Every driver spends the 34+ hour reset in Fresno at home. I have been in day cabs for 6+ years, I am looking forward to cruising the boulevard in a large car again... I hope it goes faster than 59 mph like the Saia truck did...

Looking forward to the change of scenery and change of attitude, where I will be a name and not a number, and taking personal initiative to get the job done will be appreciated, not a firing offense...

Getting fired from Saia was hard for me to take... But, what do I do??? Get another job and get on with my life... I can't undo what has been done, so I just go on from here... I was driving a truck before Saia, and I am going to drive a truck after Saia...

Saia is a great company to work for, but I am not the only driver that has left the company, and worked somewhere else... Life does not stop because you lose a good job... It just slows it down for a little while...

Richard

Good for you trucker Rich

Let me tell you guys that now is not a good time to be looking for a new driving job... I went to every LTL company in Fresno last week looking for a job.

With resumes and perfect DMV printouts in hand, I went door to door to all of them, and I told them I was looking for a driving position... All I got were sad faces looking back at me...

I could not drop off one resume, or even get one application... They were all laying off drivers, and planned more...

It is like Saia management was using one of the orbiting spy satellites to see where I was going next, call them and telling them not to talk to me.

Regardless of why I was let go, there just are not any good paying jobs out there...

I did happen to land a good job though. My wife's boss is friends with the owner of a trucking company here in town. She had mentioned to her boss, that I was out of work and HE called his friend and asked if there were any openings. He said that a truck just became open. But, he had 15 applications on his desk for that one position. On your recommendation, I will put his application on top of the stack... (He does not know anything about my background or experience...)

My wife's boss told her, to let me know, and gave me his personal cell number. I called him and made an appointment for an interview. I went to the interview and he told me about the job. I said that I had been with Saia for 6+ years and I ran OTR for 11 years before that. I would be willing to do this job but wanted to check into other options first... He understood perfectly...

He handed me an application and told me to bring it back next Monday (Jan 5). Let him know either way, if you want the job, it is yours...

I went in Monday and he hired me. I did my physical and drug screen yesterday and start the paperwork and drive test today...

This is a small company that hauls its own products... They run refers to all points as far as Texas, and all back hauls are raw materials to make more products in the factories here in town.... The run I am getting will be to Texas and straight back... But will go where ever they send me... Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Spokane, Portland...

Every driver spends the 34+ hour reset in Fresno at home. I have been in day cabs for 6+ years, I am looking forward to cruising the boulevard in a large car again... I hope it goes faster than 59 mph like the Saia truck did...

Looking forward to the change of scenery and change of attitude, where I will be a name and not a number, and taking personal initiative to get the job done will be appreciated, not a firing offense...

Getting fired from Saia was hard for me to take... But, what do I do??? Get another job and get on with my life... I can't undo what has been done, so I just go on from here... I was driving a truck before Saia, and I am going to drive a truck after Saia...

Saia is a great company to work for, but I am not the only driver that has left the company, and worked somewhere else... Life does not stop because you lose a good job... It just slows it down for a little while...

Richard

I am really happy things worked out for you, This just goes to show you, when one door closes, another will open up for you. Good luck and God bless you and your family :1036316054:

I'm glad you found employment. Hopefully, it will work out better than what you had at Saia. Just remember the rest of us when you see one of those choked down daycabs struggling up the hill.

I've been following your story here and am very happy that you found what sounds to be a good job. I sincerely wish you well and hope that you'll keep us posted on how things go for you in the future. Again, congratulations and best wishes.

You will probably be happier there than any other job you ever had.... Great story, I am glad for you, Good Luck

You can't keep a good man down.Enjoy your Large Car.A few weeks from now it will be just a memory.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the support guys...

I can't wait to get started on this new job... It is even better than I hoped for... The trucks are not turned down... I can roll with the big dogs... 55 on the road test felt like slow motion...

All have 500hp Cats and Cummins 13 speeds... Pup motors for idling at night...1500 watt inverters, wall plugs like in a house, and built in refriderators... Personal cell phone with 1000 minutes a month free...

I have been talking to a few company drivers and they all love working there... One of them drives 250 miles to work every week!!! One way!!!

Everyone gets home every week. All loads come back to Fresno. One pick one drop.!!! NO PRODUCE !!!!

You are a name not a number... Take care of them and they take care of you mentality around here... Everyone is so nice too...

Will add more when I work a few trips...

Trucker Rich

Good to hear you're able to make it through the mess Rich. Let us know how this new job turns out.

way to go glad you found your calling when i lost my job at saia they done me wrong there for 15 years and what i waas let go for was bull shizzz as i took a month or so off to enjoy life i ended up with a great job a name as you say not number make as much as saia and drive a new 2009 tw 800 lg cr only work 4 days a week not hard at all . But life does go on as you say and you will be better in the end good luck driver and hope to see all who have left they do good and to all whose there still good luck later :clap:

Trucker Rich.I read your story about how you got terminated and personally ,if it was up to me as an employer , would have fired you for acting in good faith as you did.Just my 2 pesos

Trucker Rich.I read your story about how you got terminated and personally ,if it was up to me as an employer , would have fired you for acting in good faith as you did.Just my 2 pesos

:wtflol: I hope that was a type "o" and you meant you "wouldn't" have fired him.

Whatever.............

Sorry,that was a typo and I'm a little embarrassed that I did not proofread my post. Stated correctly ,I would NOT have fired this man for making a decision in good faith that in most cases would have benefited the company.

Sorry,that was a typo and I'm a little embarrassed that I did not proofread my post. Stated correctly ,I would NOT have fired this man for making a decision in good faith that in most cases would have benefited the company.

I figured it was that's why I posted. Don't want people to get their panties all in bunch and start chair-shooting (:chairshot:) you....:biglaugh:

I went thru the same thing you did at Saia. 2yrs. later I survived. The money isn't there yet, and probably never will be, the same for you. I now have a dedicated run to and from the same yard. 2 layovers 1 wk. and 3 the next. Ltl jobs are getting few and far apart. There will be many more layoffs, pay cuts, closeures, buyouts, and mergers. Good luck to you, but it may will be a long time and many more jobs before you find what you liked and had at Saia. To me it's all about Safe equiptment and of course the money! Drive time is all the same. There is nothing worse than working for a Cheap paying profitable trucking company, But if your happy there and they treat you like the professional driver that you are, thats a Good thing. Be Safe and you will be on top again.........