ODFL | fired for hookin off duty

Their hitting this pretty hard to make sure there are no more off duty accidents possibly resulting in possible big settlements. Message received. Some are going to have to make small adjustments some big ones. Good luck to all

What I have been told by dispatchers and terminal manager is first warning is your last warning. Don't do it again or your done. They don't want you doin nothing on your off duty time work wise. I'm sure we all have played around in the gray area playground. The playground is a little smaller now. We'll all bitch and moan for a bit until we recondition ourselves to a new set of habits of how to efficiently move in and out of a terminal

SO NONE OF U HAVE EVER DROP HOOKED WHILE OFF DUTY??
Nobody actually said that.Reporting the accident as an actual "off duty" work task is a different animal though.Sad to say,but your honesty probably cost you your job....Any prior negatives on your employment with OD may also come into play.Im sure these are not the kind of comments you were looking for but you sought them out.

I'm sure most of not all of us half at some point and time. OD did put out a company wide warning that they would start cracking down on working while off duty quit some time ago. That's when most of us stopped doing it. But there is always the people that like to push the boundaries even with there job.

I'm pretty must of us have. My problem is grown ass men not taking responsibility for their own actions. This company told you to stop doing it. You either didn't get the memo or you choose to ignore it. My point is they did exactly what they said they where going to do and now because you hit fired we need a union.
The truth of the matter is the more drivers OD gets rid of that brake federal laws the less we'll need the union. Sorry you lost your job and got hurt, but even if you didn't get hurt your days where numbered. Simply because you won't follow guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for some of the disrespect and lack of compassion you've gotten on your post. These folks all know they've either dropped/hooked off duty or cheated at some point on paper or BLU. I thought I was listening to a CB for a minute. I really don't think you have anything to argue for reinstatement in this situation. Once safety is involved, they can't look the other way. I'm sorry for your situation and wish you well in this time of change for you and your family. The rest of us need to take this as the aha moment of the potential worst situation and learn from it.

Everyone has cut corners before. But the box gets tighter all the time and not getting caught gets harder as a result.

This isn't the 1970's. Big brother is watching, and they're doing everything they can to ensure EVERYONE plays by the rules. Whether you cheated in the past or not doesn't change the fact that it's not worth it anymore. The fines are astronomical and you will not only lose your job, but in the event you don't lose your CDL you may as well give it up because you're damaged goods.

Bottom line? Don't screw around out there. Off Duty is just that. You're not working. And whether we like it or not, a bunch of people with big, important pens have decreed WHEN and HOW LONG we are to be not working. Them's the rules, folks, and we don't get to decide if we play by them or not.

His story is believable whether it is BS or not. I've heard from the safety manager the same as another poster has said, get caught hooking a set off duty and you're gone. And I have never done work like this off the clock even before the blu. This isn't an outlaw carrier.

The rules are in the FMCSR, there is no room anymore for bending them.
Sorry for his loss, and thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

You broke a federal law in the first place.You was working when you were on your 30 min off duty break.The truck is not suppose to move.Didn't help any when you hurt yourself.Just don't get it.The U will save the day.lol..Hate hear.But,you don't have a leg to stand on.Like I have always said. You fire yourself at OD.
So much for your co workers taking your side.Typical OD attitude.