Yellow | Fired on Friday

Top Freight said:
I am not sure what the panel will do but I think that this guy should be looking for a new job.

He was dispatched to make a pick up. A customer could be lost to a competitor because this driver wouldn't work.

99% of the guys where I work would have taken care of the customer.
I hope you never make a mistake or have a bad day, maybe on the same day your boss is having a bad day. Somebody will take care of the customer, let's take care of the driver 1st.

Toxic said:
christopher3573 keep us up to date on the situwation. OK?
First day back after holiday and The driver was not allowed to work. I will find out more wednesday morning.

screwy louiey said:
Say Chris we don't know all the facts to this matter except what was explained. Eventhough it doesn't look good for him I wouldn't just be shoveling dirt on him yet. There are alot of characther & creditability issues that come into play.

As stated management & him bumped heads alot so we'll really never know as Paul Harvey would say "now thats the real story" but take it to panel cause it was not a cardinal sin so use the grievance machinery process and have his case well prepared.

Hopefully he won't be terminated except for some time on the street and the companys stance was to get him back in line and he gets his job back. I believe everyone is entitled to a bad day but the company can and will destroy your livelihood if you cross that line and did what are supposed to do.

Hate to see this happen to anyone and hopefully the company might softens it stance but gets their point across. Heck of a way to spend a three day weekend.:wounded1:
He got back to the yard around his 8th hour from his peddle run. They sent him up the road about 2 miles to Carquest to pick up an empty van and to Pergo, about 10 minutes away, to switch out. He went to Carquest and stayed 40 minutes and came back to the yard, punched out and supervisor fired him...He was not allowed to work on tuesday....I will keep you posted.......

"what did he say?"

christopher3573 said:
He got back to the yard around his 8th hour from his peddle run. They sent him up the road about 2 miles to Carquest to pick up an empty van and to Pergo, about 10 minutes away, to switch out. He went to Carquest and stayed 40 minutes and came back to the yard, punched out and supervisor fired him...He was not allowed to work on tuesday....I will keep you posted.......

First thing first is file that grievance so he can "check his six" as this discharge was unjust if he does get his job back he be made whole again. He should have 7 days to do so, if he was sent home the steward or BA should already have fingerprinted his case if they had a meet today.

Just curious as to the discussion between him and the supervisor and witnesses if there were any. If it was just them two in the room and its his word against the supervisor I'll take my chances.

Toxic said:
christopher3573 keep us up to date on the situwation. OK?
Found out more today. Local is not backing the driver. This was his 2nd offense. So he has to wait to hear from Bi-State. Another union company fired a driver for the same offense and it held up at the Bi-State. The driver was on his 7th hour and argued with the sup. until his 8th hour. He punched out and said you can read thie time-card. Then went home....Let you guys know more when I hear........

christopher3573 said:
Found out more today. Local is not backing the driver. This was his 2nd offense. So he has to wait to hear from Bi-State. Another union company fired a driver for the same offense and it held up at the Bi-State. The driver was on his 7th hour and argued with the sup. until his 8th hour. He punched out and said you can read thie time-card. Then went home....Let you guys know more when I hear........
Hey christopher......I think the union is backing him, they can only argue the discharge at local level. If the company is unwilling to move on the issue, then they try to settle it at Bi-State. Like I posted before RDWY and YRC don't take too kindly to this kind of offense and it being his 2nd..........I'm sure the local will do what they can. DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey christopher......I think the union is backing him, they can only argue the discharge at local level. If the company is unwilling to move on the issue, then they try to settle it at Bi-State. Like I posted before RDWY and YRC don't take too kindly to this kind of offense and it being his 2nd..........I'm sure the local will do what they can. DS.
I agree DS I think our Local is great. The do what they can even when we mess it up real bad. The only thing then can force to Company to do is what is in writing.

Docksteward said:
I worded my statement incorrectly. You guys are right. I meant to say the company does not want to settle at the local level. I am behind our union 100%. Good an the bad...

christopher3573 said:
I worded my statement incorrectly. You guys are right. I meant to say the company does not want to settle at the local level. I am behind our union 100%. Good an the bad...
Its ok there christopher we all type bad most of the times....:roll1:
But since it is going to the BI-State it is gonna be a real real hard road.... I wish him luck. But he done somethign you should never do........:(

He's going to be on the street for awhile if thats the case. Say isn't there something that you can still be working until your case is heard @ bi state or it depends on the infraction.

Last contract screwed the deal up on working under protest until a hearing. Now you stay off without pay til hearing and a lot of guys are more willing to accept a lesser deal to get back on and the company eats this up. This needs to be addressed in the next contract.

I think some Supplements retained the 'Innocent until proven guilty' clause. It's a 2 way street though....before the Companies were quicker to fire a guy and build a record against him.....now, in many cases, backpay comes with reinstatement so they're not so quick to fire anyone just to buld a longterm case against him. They hate to give away free money, so they're much less apt to fire a guy when they really know it'll never stick now.

Good point dude, with what is present here about this brother it makes it look like he had an absentism problem but this brother showed up for work to do his job. I aint like he wasn't showing up and not doing his work.

A comment was made about how long it took tto move a trailer. Sounds like a bias remark about the work ethic of someone to me in my opinion. But I don't know the facts or the brother so its just an opinion I stated.

I was down there early last Monday morning and I talked to one of the Dock Workers and he told me more about it and all the favoritism going on there since Russel F. came back to 671

Toxic said:
I was down there early last Monday morning and I talked to one of the Dock Workers and he told me more about it and all the favoritism going on there since Russel F. came back to 671
It is like this....SOme guys here come to work, do the best they can, then go home. Others punch on, complain about this and that, then pass their time away. These are the ones that butt heads with the managers. They call it favoritism but I think they get what they deserve. I am not saying you should not have opinions! The complainers just take this great job for granted. You should come to work, do your job, then go home and enjoy it your family. When Russell was here, it was strictly business. If you work hard for him, you would get away with a little more. Not much more :) The terminal is operating at a 92 so something is going right here. But some people always have to have drama.

If he refused the work and still had the hours to do the job then he should be fired.you dont refuse a work order you go ahead and do the job inless you tell them you are sick or had a emergency come up.if he does get his job back then that opens the door for other people to refuse the work order and turn around and get their job back also.just do the job and go on.