ODFL | Fired while on comp?

I was on Personal Leave of Absence for a medical issue which was approved by corporate for 8 weeks. I was to return to work this week with 2 doctors slips allowing me to return to work. When it came time to return, I received a call from leave of absence dept. telling me my job had been filled, that I no longer had a job. That was just the beginning of lies, they never filled my position with anyone. At no time during my time off was I ever told my job was in jeopardy. I did exactly what I was told during my time off. I was to report to corporate with my status, and report to my TM with progress updates once a week, which I did. My TM is the biggest coward and liar. He didn't even have the balls to tell me I no longer had a job.
When I interviewed for the job (P&D Driver) and after I was hired, I was constantly being told that the companies philosophy was "we treat you like family". This is the furthest thing from the truth. What a bunch of BS. Is this how you treat family? For all those green kool-aid drinking people on here, and you know who you are, that are going to flame me for saying anything derogatory about ODFL this is one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. After all this is a forum and you have a right to your opinion. They don't give a damn about you or your family. "You are nothing more than a turd in a toilet bowl and can be flushed at any time".

Line drivers who don't have to work as hard as us will never believe your story and flame you immediately. But I've seen this happen to 3 people over the past two years. OD will chew up a city driver and spit them right out after an injury moving their heavy garbage freight.

You said approved leave, did you fill out and have an approved fmla packet? If you followed protocol the government requires them to place you to your position or a similar position upon your return. This is guaranteed for 12 weeks. If this was not followed by OD, please call who enforce this law. That is the department of labor. Go to their website, find the closest office and call them. You usually have to leave a message and they will call you within a couple days. Please do not let something like this slide, if you were granted to time file a complaint. OD is getting bye with too much on medical and leave issues.

After reading some of these stories I have to laugh. I know a guy who had over 20 years with O.D. And was a Cheerleader for O.D. And hated the Union. He went out on comp for a back injury,Got released and was told your services are no longer needed goodbye! Now he lawyered up and O.D. Our nothing but a bunch of scumbags according to him!

They pretty well always find away to settle out of court and keep the issue out of the spot light. Somehow spending all the money on lawyers and settlements is better to them then employing someone who had a simple injury or surgery.

You said approved leave, did you fill out and have an approved fmla packet? If you followed protocol the government requires them to place you to your position or a similar position upon your return. This is guaranteed for 12 weeks. If this was not followed by OD, please call who enforce this law. That is the department of labor. Go to their website, find the closest office and call them. You usually have to leave a message and they will call you within a couple days. Please do not let something like this slide, if you were granted to time file a complaint. OD is getting bye with too much on medical and leave issues.
Amen,always more to the story.Again,been around long enough to know if you get fired from OD.You did it to yourself.

After reading some of these stories I have to laugh. I know a guy who had over 20 years with O.D. And was a Cheerleader for O.D. And hated the Union. He went out on comp for a back injury,Got released and was told your services are no longer needed goodbye! Now he lawyered up and O.D. Our nothing but a bunch of scumbags according to him!
Always more to the story.,

They pretty well always find away to settle out of court and keep the issue out of the spot light. Somehow spending all the money on lawyers and settlements is better to them then employing someone who had a simple injury or surgery.
This guy was a Harding working man who just happen to get hurt on the job.He was up there in age and had a lot of vacation time.all though they can't admit it,he thinks they got rid of him because of his age. I believe he was number one on the list too. My suggestion to anybody that works at O.D. Is,work smart and don't get hurt because you may find your self unemployed with no recourse!

This guy was a Harding working man who just happen to get hurt on the job.He was up there in age and had a lot of vacation time.all though they can't admit it,he thinks they got rid of him because of his age. I believe he was number one on the list too. My suggestion to anybody that works at O.D. Is,work smart and don't get hurt because you may find your self unemployed with no recourse!

You said it! Don't ever go above and beyond. F 2.0, because the second you hurt yourself you're worthless to them and your name will be quickly forgotten as some rook fresh out of school burns out the clutch in your truck.

Usually OD will offer you a cheap paying light duty gig when you're in too much pain to get out of the house and that's how they nail you when you don't take it.
Anytime you are on Workers Comp Legally they can't fire you.So they will keep you on light duty till the finally offer you a settlement. That's the way the system works.Nothing new.

You said it! Don't ever go above and beyond. F 2.0, because the second you hurt yourself you're worthless to them and your name will be quickly forgotten as some rook fresh out of school burns out the clutch in your truck.

It's an ugly side to the business, but unfortunately for now, a reality.

I would not want to be the one making that call. Getting hurt is not the same as being a turd and getting let go for that.

The turds never get shown the door unless caught stealing. They're put onto linehaul so management doesn't have to deal with them anymore here.

They told me since I had not been there quite a year, my job was not protected by FMLA. They did approve the personal leave of absence though. I busted my a** to get medical treatment & physical therapy etc., so I could get back to work. I kept them informed every step of the way too.

Usually OD will offer you a cheap paying light duty gig when you're in too much pain to get out of the house and that's how they nail you when you don't take it.
Workers comp makes up the difference between the rate they offer and your regular rate, it just takes time to get that additional money. You should take the light duty, follow the doctors orders and get back to work as soon as possible. Must agree with Kenneth that there are always two sides to a story and people tell it in the way that makes them the victim. That said it does sound like Buckeye got the shaft but there must be another reason they didn't want him back (no offense Buck).

Workers comp makes up the difference between the rate they offer and your regular rate, it just takes time to get that additional money. You should take the light duty, follow the doctors orders and get back to work as soon as possible. Must agree with Kenneth that there are always two sides to a story and people tell it in the way that makes them the victim. That said it does sound like Buckeye got the shaft but there must be another reason they didn't want him back (no offense Buck).

It could have just been the fact he was out for 8 weeks within his first year of employment. Bad timing unfortunately.

I was out 7 weeks right about my 5 month mark here, they kept my job and let me back, now it's been 15 months since injury and all is good, I did have to pass the strength test to come back
Interesting. I've heard a few cases where the TM will say it was a desicion made at CPT -- but in reality I do believe it's up to them. If it's someone they want back...they will still have a job.