Fireman Ed hanging up his helmet

kevin653

TB Lurker
Credits
'' D-o-n-e, done, done, done.

“Fireman” Ed Anzalone, known for leading the “J-E-T-S” chants at home games, announced he no longer will lead the chants at games or play the role of “Fireman Ed.”

The move is not because of the Jets’ struggles, but because of increased confrontations in the stands. Anzalone wrote a guest column for Metro New York about his decision. He left Thursday’s 49-19 loss to the Patriots at halftime, the second straight game he’s left early.

“I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic,” wrote Anzalone, who has led the chants since 1986.

The former New York City firefighter has become the most recognizable Jets fan and a polarizing figure, disliked by many of the team’s fans. He is shown on the video screens during games leading the chants, though he is not employed by the team.

“The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well,” Anzalone wrote. “The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent.Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.”

Anzalone said he will still attend games, but no longer in his “Fireman Ed” getup, which included a green and white fireman’s hat and Jets jersey. ''
“Fireman Ed” says he will stop leading chants at New York Jets home games - NYPOST.com
images

All things come to an end. He says he will still attend games. Just not bring attention. Was gonna happen eventually.

Some people take sports way too seriously. It's supposed to be enjoyed. You have to live a pretty shallow life to be willing to initiate a confrontation over a spectator sport.

I recognized him in a camera shot at their last game, and realized that he didn't have his helmet on and wondered why. For people to confront a die hard fan seems kind of over the top, but that's the way it is nowadays. Fights, throwing beer on each other, throwing things on to the field, etc.etc. The games are supposed to be enjoyable, but sometimes things go way to far.