ODFL | First Day City Driver

DirtyRice

TB Lurker
Credits
I had allot of fun just riding with a driver observing and learning the little computer thingy and and all that stuff. The guy i had drove really fast it was crazy, the volume run wasint ready so we did a 9 stop peddle run which was fun because we went to the fort dix air force base to deliver explosives and stuff. Never seen that many jets and stuff it was cool. we also did like 4 pick ups. It was a 10 hour day for me, but it felt like nuthin .

Trick is do not tell the dispatchers you resent a certain job. That is the ticket to never getting off of it. Just say its OK but you would not want to do it all the time, isn't it best to spread it around.

sparky said:
Trick is do not tell the dispatchers you resent a certain job. That is the ticket to never getting off of it. Just say its OK but you would not want to do it all the time, isn't it best to spread it around.

can u do that with the little computer or u have to call him up?

Ahh no you should not talk back to the little computer. But there are some p/ds that every company has that are considered hard. Like deliveries to food warehouses where you have to sort by order. You will see. Just keep up the good attitude. Enjoy your job.

Ahhhh nothing like more new guys to deliver grocery warehouse freight! It is easy money though if you dont have 40 drops and pick-ups to take care of on top of that heh heh. Welcome to OD! Put in a few months and soon you'll be high in p/d seniority with the way the company is growing.

Wait until he has to explain why he didn't deliver a 2000lb safe into someone's basement. He may have to sign a piece of hate mail for that. City drivers have it rough. They may make more money, but I don't envy them.

City driving is definitely a talent, you got to learn all the curve balls. Once you do that no one can say anything to that you can not hit.:bgroovy:

Out West we're always asked how come we didnt lug the 400 lb treadmill up the stairs to a 2nd story apartment building by ourselves! Does the East have a lot of treadmills? It seems to be the majority of our freight out here.

BillyLo said:
Out West we're always asked how come we didnt lug the 400 lb treadmill up the stairs to a 2nd story apartment building by ourselves! Does the East have a lot of treadmills from Icon Fitness? It seems to be the majority of our freight out here.

haha its funny u said that, we delivered a fittness machine from icon to sombodys house and hes lucky he had me there cause that thing was heavy, the lady was like can u put it in the bed room the driver said no mam we cant the paper work dosent call for inside delivery. He said they will try and make us liable for damages to there house tryin to lug that thing down hallways and stuff.

BillyLo said:
Ahhhh nothing like more new guys to deliver grocery warehouse freight! It is easy money though if you dont have 40 drops and pick-ups to take care of on top of that heh heh. Welcome to OD! Put in a few months and soon you'll be high in p/d seniority with the way the company is growing.

yeah u right because the driver said that they need 5 or 6 more drivers after me, i guess he meant pnd.

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Careful drivers this is not a exclusive forum for OD drivers only. Tips can be passed to Competitors sales departments. DO NOT NAME SPECIFIC ACCOUNT NAMES. Which is also a good tip to new city drivers. Watch what you say to competitive drivers they can and will pass information to there sales people.

Good words Sparky,you talk about your mama,your girlfriend's sister,and your dog but don't talk about customers.They feed us all.10-4.

This is a account that most carriers refuse to take. If you notice our accident and injury reports that are printed out daily, a lot of the incidents are due to this account.

Thanks For the support Jim Bob.

I understand that BillyLo although I am linehaul I work days and often do city deliveries myself. Just never a good idea to mention specific names of any kind on a public forum. describe things. If we work here we will know what you are talking about. Some people have been fired for posting information on forums.

Understandable Sparky. If it's anything us p/d drivers moan about, would be these. I'd go back and edit it for you folks, but cannot find the edit button?? Have a good weekend.

Wait until he has to explain why he didn't deliver a 2000lb safe into someone's basement. He may have to sign a piece of hate mail for that. City drivers have it rough. They may make more money, but I don't envy them.
I guess we have it good in CLE. We are not aloud to go into a residence. Its a policy. To many complaints about dirty carpets or damaged walls, so I simply say I can not go in your house. They can call the TM and he'll tell them the same. It works for me.

Trick is do not tell the dispatchers you resent a certain job. That is the ticket to never getting off of it.
This is so true. If I get a food warehouse I just go and do it. Tomarrow I may get a 1 stopper 100 miles from the terminal. So I take the good with the bad. Whatever they throw at me I say OK and do it. We have a good dispatcher and our TM is a great guy. Its easy to work for them.