XPO | First day. How'd it go ?

2016, tweaking insurance and vacation for starters. Latex gloves on order
I haven't saw the information regarding the changing of vacation. Any info regarding this? Is it on the employee portal somewhere?
He was making a prediction. That is how rumors get started. Before long people will be saying, "I heard our premiums are going up, our deductibles are doubling, and we are losing a week of vacation starting next year! Wonder what else they'll do to us?"

He was making a prediction. That is how rumors get started. Before long people will be saying, "I heard our premiums are going up, our deductibles are doubling, and we are losing a week of vacation starting next year! Wonder what else they'll do to us?"

Ohh.. I hope they don't touch vacation.. Honestly, at this point in my life insurance isn't something I worry everyday about but I sure would miss the vacation. I really only need like 'catastrophic' insurance at this point in my life but I know many people depend on the insurance to live a good life everyday.

Another good start to the week, sitting 7 on Linehaul. Fos told me it sends Freight out as needed only. So 2 day sits @ term instead of getting sent out as it comes in. So the drivers are adjusted accordingly. I made my adjustments to 3 days. Our schedule just doesn't allow for much side work unless you take set days off. That would work fine for me, take Mon and Tues night off. Work in the day somewhere else and then the rest of the week on Linehaul.

No, it's more about being tired of working 55+ hour weeks, and the company reluctant to hire additional personnel when there's clearly a need.

That's funny. Here it's being tired of barely getting 40 a week and the company reluctant to lay off the additional personnel when it's clearly needed.

That's funny. Here it's being tired of barely getting 40 a week and the company reluctant to lay off the additional personnel when it's clearly needed.
That is a problem, why starve a guy if you don't have work for him? Do the right thing and lay him off instead of having him call everyday and beg for work

That is a problem, why starve a guy if you don't have work for him? Do the right thing and lay him off instead of having him call everyday and beg for work

No one is starving. We are all below normal. Wondering where this XPO freight is and when it will get here.

Some are starting to look though. With the buy out. Guys are speculating things will go bad for us. And they ain't getting paid what they were. So there is a lot of temptation. So many good jobs out there.

I am still optimistic. But I have very little to back that up with. So it comes across pretty empty sounding.

No one is starving. We are all below normal. Wondering where this XPO freight is and when it will get here.

Some are starting to look though. With the buy out. Guys are speculating things will go bad for us. And they ain't getting paid what they were. So there is a lot of temptation. So many good jobs out there.

I am still optimistic. But I have very little to back that up with. So it comes across pretty empty sounding.
If there are so many "good" jobs out there, what's holding guys back from taking them?

Another good start to the week, sitting 7 on Linehaul. Fos told me it sends Freight out as needed only. So 2 day sits @ term instead of getting sent out as it comes in. So the drivers are adjusted accordingly. I made my adjustments to 3 days. Our schedule just doesn't allow for much side work unless you take set days off. That would work fine for me, take Mon and Tues night off. Work in the day somewhere else and then the rest of the week on Linehaul.
Some of these companies just don't get it. They complain about the driver shortage, but don't keep people working. WTH?
Either use 'em or lose 'em.:duh:

Agree, Joe. That's one thing I hated about Con-way. Call in at 7am, no work yet. Call back at 9am, nothing. Told to call back at noon, and again nothing. By this time you've wasted a whole day. Then, the inevitable "Call back at 6pm, we may have a night run for you." Suddenly, I forget how to use a phone.

Agree, Joe. That's one thing I hated about Con-way. Call in at 7am, no work yet. Call back at 9am, nothing. Told to call back at noon, and again nothing. By this time you've wasted a whole day. Then, the inevitable "Call back at 6pm, we may have a night run for you." Suddenly, I forget how to use a phone.

Ahhhh ohh the joys of being flex. After the 6 and 9 am calls, my phone is off, so don't call as I am unavailable after that.. It's unreal that people put up with that lifestyle...

If there are so many "good" jobs out there, what's holding guys back from taking them?

Nothing. I can only speculate. So, here goes.

Waiting on bids. What is available ? Is it compatible with my personal life to be worth hanging around ?

Waiting on financial stuff. Gotta get the bike paid off and then.

Waiting on the perfect offer for them. A 70 hour log with a 40 hour work week..... idle hands, yo. Some guys have been running weekends, elsewhere. If a fella can get that particular run he wants. It won't be just weekends anymore.

Waiting on the holidays. Who wants to rock the boat weeks before Christmas ?

Waiting on any hint of something from XPO. So far, it's been a lot of quiet. Nothing really great or horrible. Some want to feel like they made an informed decision to leave or stay. And the silence is actually aggravating. If it persists that in and of itself may push people.

Just off the top of my head. Hope this appeases you.

Everywhere. Got to look past the typical LTL carriers. Here in Cbus there are runs. Heard about a three ( four really ) day run to Riffle ( spelling ? ) Colorado. Pays $1500. Working for a contractor pulling FedEx loads. Straight shot down 70. There are runs out to Texas. A lot of them. Pay pretty good. Gotta find a side kick though. Have been a bunch of people talking about food carriers. Some of the names are just stupid. But the runs are straight forward. Guys are more worried about their paychecks than ever. All they want to know is how much it pays.

This whole being bought thing has pissed a lot of people off. They have been through it before and not wanting to deal with it again. In their eyes, by the end of the two year plan, we will have not received a single raise if not have taken a pay cut. The vacation will get reduced. Health care will mysteriously increase. And the numbers of " professional " drivers will evaporate. All that will be left here are the ones that are to useless to get hired somewhere else and a bunch of " foreigners ". If Swift and Central can pay like that and make money, then this guy will want to do it that way too. A big theory is the whole repeat of the YRC merger. This is just like that, because it's going into a soft economy and an election year. This guy way over leveraged himself and it's horrible timing.

I could go on and on. People are freaked out. And there is no sign of any attempt to quell any of it.

I just take a deep breath. Hope for the best. And see what tomorrow brings. I was looking for a job when I found this one.

Nothing. I can only speculate. So, here goes.

Waiting on bids. What is available ? Is it compatible with my personal life to be worth hanging around ?

Waiting on financial stuff. Gotta get the bike paid off and then.

Waiting on the perfect offer for them. A 70 hour log with a 40 hour work week..... idle hands, yo. Some guys have been running weekends, elsewhere. If a fella can get that particular run he wants. It won't be just weekends anymore.

Waiting on the holidays. Who wants to rock the boat weeks before Christmas ?

Waiting on any hint of something from XPO. So far, it's been a lot of quiet. Nothing really great or horrible. Some want to feel like they made an informed decision to leave or stay. And the silence is actually aggravating. If it persists that in and of itself may push people.

Just off the top of my head. Hope this appeases you.
No appeasement needed. No one is holding any of us hostage to work here. I spent my first six years on flex... I'm more than aware of the uncertainty. Freight is down... That's an unfortunate fact. If guys are not making money and they feel there is better out there, than they should go give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen... You come back and rejoin right where you left off?

Well , this isn't the 1st day , it's the 11th day. And how did it go??? Wonderful!!! This is a real good one. One of our P&D guys was sent by our dispatch to a customer to make a pickup... when he got there he asked the shipping clerk where his freight was. The shipper told him that he was shipping w/ XPO not Conway so we don't have anything for you.ur guy tried to explain to him that he was XPO/Conway and that XPO had bought Conway. The shipper got totally confused and called our dispatch office to have them explain it again. They explained it to him again. "Well you're still not gonna get anything today", he said," cause another XPO driver w/ a box truck showed up some time ago and we gave it to him". Question...Do you think that the XPO driver who actually took the shipment was a XPO Last Mile Guy??? What a mess this transition is really becoming.