XPO | First Dispatched and Pre-Trips

stagecoach

for amusement only
Credits
Need some info/facts guys , The way I understand it is first dispatched is how Conway determines who leaves first once you arrive at a foreign sic. With that being said , if you have to go to the shop before you get dispatched (from your home domicile) you loose your spot . Seems to me that encourages drivers to not do a proper pre-trip or overlook something they might otherwise go to the shop over. So my question is , if I find something wrong , should I dispatch and then call breakdown (while still on my home domiciles yard) to preserve my seniority at the foreign domicile . How does everyone handle this?

I don't agree with this change at all. Creates issues you exactly describe. I think you have no choice but to dispatch first, then head to the shop if you have one. Bear in mind, that freight is the priority. They will not hold your spot if it means freight gets back late to your barn. Same as those of us that cross the border; we never know how long we may be tied up. So if my #1 driver is stuck at the border for two hours, they should hold the freight? Nope goes with the next available Dsr.

This doesn't exactly fit here but can they force you to go out of your way to make a delivery on your way home from the fac?

Need some info/facts guys , The way I understand it is first dispatched is how Conway determines who leaves first once you arrive at a foreign sic. With that being said , if you have to go to the shop before you get dispatched (from your home domicile) you loose your spot . Seems to me that encourages drivers to not do a proper pre-trip or overlook something they might otherwise go to the shop over. So my question is , if I find something wrong , should I dispatch and then call breakdown (while still on my home domiciles yard) to preserve my seniority at the foreign domicile . How does everyone handle this?

I know drivers that have no problem pulling flat tires, over-weights, and flashing check engine lights out the gate just to get out first. This policy is an incentive to feed unsafe behavior just as the last first-in-first-out policy did, but at slightly lesser degree.

I don't agree with this change at all. Creates issues you exactly describe. I think you have no choice but to dispatch first, then head to the shop if you have one. Bear in mind, that freight is the priority. They will not hold your spot if it means freight gets back late to your barn. Same as those of us that cross the border; we never know how long we may be tied up. So if my #1 driver is stuck at the border for two hours, they should hold the freight? Nope goes with the next available Dsr.
Double standard! What if the freight has to be transferred onto another trailer? Fix the problem first, than dispatch. This company just wants to keep putting a wedge between us drivers! At these re ships it is ok for them to hold freight to keep drivers to work loads. Safety is first. So they say but then again co ways says a lot

Double standard! What if the freight has to be transferred onto another trailer? Fix the problem first, than dispatch. This company just wants to keep putting a wedge between us drivers! At these re ships it is ok for them to hold freight to keep drivers to work loads. Safety is first. So they say but then again co ways says a lot
If the freight has to be transferred, you should get another load, and that load should be pushed down the list.

If the freight has to be transferred, you should get another load, and that load should be pushed down the list.
Another load is usually never available, they are pushing them out fast next guy is hooking or running in to beat senior driver on the dispatch..see company has created a controlled caos in their favor. Us drivers either way you look at it are set up to fail!

Another load is usually never available, they are pushing them out fast next guy is hooking or running in to beat senior driver on the dispatch..see company has created a controlled caos in their favor. Us drivers either way you look at it are set up to fail!
I agree. I don't think this is a good policy change at all.

This is what made me post the other thread regarding Via's and Seniority. The company should have thought of stuff like this before enacting the new policy. They should have added exceptions and if's in the policy.

This is what made me post the other thread regarding Via's and Seniority. The company should have thought of stuff like this before enacting the new policy. They should have added exceptions and if's in the policy.

Therein lies the problem. Con-way's management has never dealt well in contingencies. Even city production is measured in a world where evert delivery/pick up takes 7 minutes and there is no rush hour traffic.

We go by seniority, not dispatch. We never have any problems.

It's the business that we are in....'sometimes your the bug, and sometimes your the windshield'...it all works out....In all of 2014, I had to go to the shop twice at dispatch time (we do good post-trips), and both times I dispatched in order..I made my gate time..no problems. If there been a delay, then call break-down and let them handle it.

management needs to get on their ass for not doing a post-trip....it makes a big difference.

They can only keep you for so long, if you started before the other guy, then you need to leave before the 'other guy'

I agree with some are lacking doing there post trips and that just effects the next guy. Until some are held accountable this will never change . I also agree respect seniority but everyone doesn't fill the same . Thanks everyone for the responses .

I agree with some are lacking doing there post trips and that just effects the next guy. Until some are held accountable this will never change . I also agree respect seniority but everyone doesn't fill the same . Thanks everyone for the responses .
Well I feel that there is no accountability for post trips. Also I am a very strong advocate for senority, the middle and junior guys have to get the mindset that we were all at the bottom and soon enough they will be at the top. And your more than welcome

Hope this works

jD408XY.jpg