Central Transport | First impressions are everything.

BigChevy80

TB Lurker
Credits
Been sending the resume to a few companies over the past few days and lo and behold VITRAN was the first to respond. Said they have MANY openings to fill.

Had my interview with the terminal manager today. First thing I noticed when I walked in the door was the messy office. Didn't look like they had cleaned anything in months. Not to mention freight strewn about all over the docks. What a mess. He told me to fill out an application and then he would give me an interview. I took the application and threw it in the garbage on my way out to the parking lot.

Looks like I can scratch Vitran off my list...

Been sending the resume to a few companies over the past few days and lo and behold VITRAN was the first to respond. Said they have MANY openings to fill.

Had my interview with the terminal manager today. First thing I noticed when I walked in the door was the messy office. Didn't look like they had cleaned anything in months. Not to mention freight strewn about all over the docks. What a mess. He told me to fill out an application and then he would give me an interview. I took the application and threw it in the garbage on my way out to the parking lot.

Looks like I can scratch Vitran off my list..

Now that's funny.:biglaugh:

Looks like I can scratch Vitran off my list...

BigChev80,
That was like a carbon copy of my first and last day at Vitran. I overlooked the mess and the freight strewn all over the place. I overlooked the delapitated Freightliner I drove that night and the driver's door that wouldn't close. I overlooked the moon craters and no yard lights (pitch black in the back) at the Chicago terminal when I went there. :TR10driving03: The main thing I couldn't overlook was the no drop & hook pay. Yeah, they're up to .60 cpm for top pay, but a new guy wouldn't benefit from that until 4 years from now. That's entirely too many freebees in that amount of time.
You're not alone, I scratched them too.:1036316054:

Yeah, not to mention one of the deadbeat office managers who just got fired from my company works there now. That clued me in to their standards (or lack thereof) right off the bat...

I wouldn't let first impressions scare me off. Shoot look at RoadWay we have some real junk to drive.But it's a pretty good job, I don't know much about Vitran other than stats show them to be rapidly expanding.They might not be a bad place to hang one's hat?

I wouldn't let first impressions scare me off. Shoot look at RoadWay we have some real junk to drive.But it's a pretty good job, I don't know much about Vitran other than stats show them to be rapidly expanding.They might not be a bad place to hang one's hat?

I'd be at Roadway or Yellow in a second, but say good bye to your weekends after that. Also, around Chicago here, there's an epidemic of team operations. I guess it's easier getting people to do this, instead of a relay system like 90% of all the other companies do now. At least you would have a life. The "Big2" don't look at this way though.
I guess if you're single and want to wait 5 or 10 years for a solo position it wouldn't be bad working there.

I'd be at Roadway or Yellow in a second, but say good bye to your weekends after that. Also, around Chicago here, there's an epidemic of team operations. I guess it's easier getting people to do this, instead of a relay system like 90% of all the other companies do now. At least you would have a life. The "Big2" don't look at this way though.
I guess if you're single and want to wait 5 or 10 years for a solo position it wouldn't be bad working there.
Yeah the week-ends right now belong to Roadway.Luckily at my terminal we do not run sleepers.. I look at the job for what it can bring down the road. But if I lived in Chicago I couldn't do Roadway or Yellow not at 75% pay up there not worth it.. In Southwest Missouri it's very do-able..

Yeah the week-ends right now belong to Roadway.Luckily at my terminal we do not run sleepers.. I look at the job for what it can bring down the road. But if I lived in Chicago I couldn't do Roadway or Yellow not at 75% pay up there not worth it.. In Southwest Missouri it's very do-able..

The 75% wouldn't bother me a bit, but it's the thing of being gone all the time in a team truck. Even if it's for only 4 days out and 3 days off. That would be if everything ran on time that it would work out that way.
Enjoy your geographical location out in there in the "show-me-state"! There's no advantage in Chicago.

The 75% wouldn't bother me a bit, but it's the thing of being gone all the time in a team truck. Even if it's for only 4 days out and 3 days off. That would be if everything ran on time that it would work out that way.
Enjoy your geographical location out in there in the "show-me-state"! There's no advantage in Chicago.

I'm right smack in the middle between Chicago and St Louis. Right on I-55 even. I don't think the company I drive for would survive if it weren't for this location. 35% of our total revenue comes from Chicago-land and at least another 20% is from the St Louis area.

I know if I get a job running the road with any company around there's a very high chance I'm going to end up running to either St Louis or Chicago. Whoopee.....

I'm right smack in the middle between Chicago and St Louis. Right on I-55 even. I don't think the company I drive for would survive if it weren't for this location. 35% of our total revenue comes from Chicago-land and at least another 20% is from the St Louis area.

I know if I get a job running the road with any company around there's a very high chance I'm going to end up running to either St Louis or Chicago. Whoopee.....
It sounds like a big, bad, black, Brandt truck you drive. It's my guess. Am I close?

It sounds like a big, bad, black, Brandt truck you drive. It's my guess. Am I close?

Truckers of the night! You found me out... I was wondering how long it would take for someone to figure it out! Kind of an obscure company but around here everyone knows who we are. Everyone in the Bloomington area either drove for this company at one time, or knows someone who did, or is related to someone who did, etc. Not really a good reputation around these parts.

I still work here because the pay is decent (I usually work less hours than I am salaried for). It's also nice to be able to walk down the hallway and the president will call you by your first name.

Even that is not worth it at times, though...

BigChev,
It sounds like a good deal to me. I would prefer your set-up then dealing with a big corporate giant. They must be doing somthing right being around as long as they have.:1036316054:

Vitran

Well, I work at Vitran. I deal with there messy docks, messy offices, messy trucks, messy routing, messy drivers, etc. etc.. Somedays it's nice to work there. Other days I just rather shoot myself in the face. What I'm saying is, Vitran is just like any other job.

I would have dumped them already if things would have worked out with Roadway.

OD drivers have been trying to recruit me. Who knows what I'll be doing.

Vitran seems to be up and coming, as much as I hate to think so. They're gaining ground because they have been taking the budget route on everything. That is, low pay, junk trucks, one wrong move trailers you might end up falling through the floor, and no maintainence on the terminals and on and on.

If the consolidation of the LTL companies continue, I don't know if Vitran has deep enough pocket to weather that kind of storm. Do I look for other work now? Or do I look when the doors close?

I feel like it was a mistake to work here.

Well, I work at Vitran. I deal with there messy docks, messy offices, messy trucks, messy routing, messy drivers, etc. etc.. Somedays it's nice to work there. Other days I just rather shoot myself in the face. What I'm saying is, Vitran is just like any other job.

Vitran seems to be up and coming, as much as I hate to think so. They're gaining ground because they have been taking the budget route on everything. That is, low pay, junk trucks, one wrong move trailers you might end up falling through the floor, and no maintainence on the terminals and on and on.

If the consolidation of the LTL companies continue, I don't know if Vitran has deep enough pocket to weather that kind of storm. Do I look for other work now? Or do I look when the doors close?

I hear you Sandbox,
My thread #4 kind of summed it up for me. I can tolerate a lot, but if physical labor is not compensated, then it's time to go. Other than that, the other stuff wasn't a major problem.
Each company could be trash, but someone else's treasure. I would stick it out if it's not unbearable yet. I know I'm still looking.

Someone Stole My Thunder

I'll say it like somebody said on another thread AINT NOBODY HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD.It is all about how you relate too life. If you let the small crape mess with you,eventually your going to have A BIG PILE OF CRAPE.
I've been here going on 8 yrs. Seen highs, seen lows, & some low lifes.All I can do is my job & what is asked of me. Maybe if we all did what they asked of us some of the B/S would'nt hava came down the way it did.

I'll say it like somebody said on another thread AINT NOBODY HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD.It is all about how you relate too life. If you let the small crape mess with you,eventually your going to have A BIG PILE OF CRAPE.
I've been here going on 8 yrs. Seen highs, seen lows, & some low lifes.All I can do is my job & what is asked of me. Maybe if we all did what they asked of us some of the B/S would'nt hava came down the way it did.

I don't have a problem doing things that they ask or they could even tell me to do, but pay me!! You go through 3 or 4 terminals on a trip and drop both trailers to the dock and hook up your next set for the next place and they let you do all of that yard work for free.
I don't know about the other BS, but the drop & hook for free is big time BS!!
No gun to my head was needed, my first night there was my last.:smilie_132:

I don't have a problem doing things that they ask or they could even tell me to do, but pay me!! You go through 3 or 4 terminals on a trip and drop both trailers to the dock and hook up your next set for the next place and they let you do all of that yard work for free.
I don't know about the other BS, but the drop & hook for free is big time BS!!
No gun to my head was needed, my first night there was my last.:smilie_132:

Yes the lack there of no pay set aside for the pins is a bite in the shorts. But if a lot of guys are stealing they're going to take it away. Sorry for the bad timing. I hope you have found anew job by now & if not good luck huntin':smilie_132:

Yes the lack there of no pay set aside for the pins is a bite in the shorts. But if a lot of guys are stealing they're going to take it away. Sorry for the bad timing. I hope you have found anew job by now & if not good luck huntin':smilie_132:

No still looking Copenhagen Junk,
I had "pin pay" at every freight outfit I worked for. I mean if you break a set and put both trailers up to the dock, that should be a .4 or 24 minutes. Then you hook an outbound set which usually pays a .3 or 18 minutes.

How can guys get away with stealing?
Most central dispatches are on some type of computer system, whether it is an old system or not. The driver is there, he claims is drop & hook time right there on the spot. Central dispatch has the driver's name, tractor#, trailer#s, etc.
The only way they can get away with stealing is if he or she claims of doing the work and doesn't.

The company shouldn't penalize all drivers and not pay them.
I know most companies still run on the honor system, but they still should have an idea of what's involved in breaking these sets down and putting them together at each terminal not just stop paying people to do the work all together.
If the company tried, they could track down people stealing time and fire them or whatever they do to them. I'm still sure there are more honest people out there then there are crooks.

No still looking Copenhagen Junk,
I had "pin pay" at every freight outfit I worked for. I mean if you break a set and put both trailers up to the dock, that should be a .4 or 24 minutes. Then you hook an outbound set which usually pays a .3 or 18 minutes.

How can guys get away with stealing?
Most central dispatches are on some type of computer system, whether it is an old system or not. The driver is there, he claims is drop & hook time right there on the spot. Central dispatch has the driver's name, tractor#, trailer#s, etc.
The only way they can get away with stealing is if he or she claims of doing the work and doesn't.

The company shouldn't penalize all drivers and not pay them.
I know most companies still run on the honor system, but they still should have an idea of what's involved in breaking these sets down and putting them together at each terminal not just stop paying people to do the work all together.
If the company tried, they could track down people stealing time and fire them or whatever they do to them. I'm still sure there are more honest people out there then there are crooks.

It was'nt so much at the dark TM, but at the hubs where the drivers would work the dock go out and hook then come back in clock out to be off the dock clock out again to be disp. back to their TM.