First Time Behind The Wheel

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,

Just got home from truck driving school, sorry for the long winded posts I'll shorten them all up.
Any how I popped the cherry today I drove my first ever truck, An old Ford L9000 it was an ex R &L Carriers Truck Single Screw with a 53' trailer attached.
Any how there was a learning curve for sure ha-ha and my cage is a little rattled right now, but actually typing this helps me process everything make sense of it all and it's all good. :)

Driving was also kind of fun at the same time. Any how you don't start living till your out of your comfort zone, right? I also had to get a little used to the parking break, but I only screwed that up once put the truck in gear and let off the clutch and it didn't move, but that was no biggie figured that out quick.

We were doing straight line backing as our maneuver.
I hit a few cones and so did everybody else, but there were a few times I made it down the lane okay as well and actually by the end of the day the instructors were not even watching all that closely actually I was amazed at how much they let us do, it was pretty much here are the keys will tell you what to do once or twice and you'll figure it out. It's just one of those things you can talk about it forever, but eventually you have to do it and I did it and will be doing a lot more of it.

Actually I just talked nicely to the truck from time to time I said please work with my baby and it did. I even started softly singing the Alice In Chains song Queen of the Rodeo to the truck and sure enough we got down the lane, what ever works right ha-ha!

By the end of the day and having had backed up a dozen or so times, I was starting to get the hang of it a little progress was defiantly made. Rome wasn't built in a day and something like this is a life long learning process. They even had me fuel the truck and the instructor pretty much made me off set back and drive the truck forward around the yard. So I even got to do some turning and straight forward driving through the yard. The straight forward driving very slow in a straight line was fine no problems to report there LOL.

I've had a day to process everything and it's all cool, I have a long long way to go, but I'll keep working at it, I'll get there one piece at a time.