First week done what did I learn?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So I finished up my first week of training at GFS and I learned a bunch of things somethings big and some things small.

The first thing I learned was kids love frozen pizza's and sun cups kids love frozen pizza's and sun cups.

I learned the invoicing system and all that good stuff, so I could unload the truck and get the right products to the right place.

I learned GFS's hand held a little bit, they use the same type of hand held we had at the beer company however GFS is a little more complex software wise because of the other programs that run in the background.

I do like it better then the beer company, hours are way different, but I do like it better.
What I like is unlike the beer company the products are not consistently heavy.

Like I said for me the driving is going to be the hard part. I'm getting better drove back to the office the past two days, and this is something I am very open about, in fact yesterday I was working with a transit driver who was helping out and running routes and he had kind of a heavy day. We made fine time, nothing bad like that, but we were heavy on the freezer 79 cases into the freezer at one high school. Up and down the ramp a lot. Anyhow I'm starting to get better the man I was working with had been with the company for quite a while and he was telling me he trained a few guys to get there licenses and everything. I told him you know I'll be honest while I am not brand brand new I am probably a little rough still. The beer company trucks were easy to drive they had a short wheel base could turn on a dime and were 99% of the time automatics. It was a piece of cake to drive those. That's the next thing is figuring out how to maneuver these bigger trucks.

The GFS trucks are bigger longer wheelbase and all standard shifts. In a way though GFS is better for me I need the experience and they just have better benefits and options and things all the way around.

I drove back to the warehouse yesterday and my shifting is getting a tad better, it's not as good as any of you guys and I am very open about that, I just try the best I can sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
The man I worked with yesterday said "Yeah you know usually when you're in the truck on you're own it's not as big of a deal."

He's really right, I get kind of nervous when someone is sitting next to me usually though when I am on my own it's not as big of a deal, because okay say I have a shift that's a little rough or miss a gear or whatever doesn't matter it's just me in the truck. So that's kind of how it is for me at least.

I will say this about maneuvering every move the guys at GFS make I have made at the beer company infact I blind side backed quite a bit at the beer company and did a lot more parallel parking when I did beer to so it's not like I don't know how or never did just different equipment.

I often wonder, if Truck Guy road tested me where I would stand and I hope I would not stand in the category of people who couldn't drive. I like to think of my self I hope as someone who at the core it's there and I just need a little polishing up.

I often wonder, if Truck Guy road tested me where I would stand and I hope I would not stand in the category of people who couldn't drive. I like to think of my self I hope as someone who at the core it's there and I just need a little polishing up.

Lol. The ultimate decision is not up to me. I try to be honest, and if a guy has good habits as far as driving, like safety and courtesy-wise, I always point that out. If they like someone that needs some 'polishing', they will take a chance.

As a trainer, I don't really have the patience to teach someone how to drive. I have done it with a couple of the warehouse guys they sent to trucker school, but they already knew about the product and the delivery process. I can't handle the driving and delivery training at the same time.

I spent quite a few years driving trains in Michigan. When you're dealing with a 150-160,000 lb truck, you gotta be smooth. With 600+ hp, it's not hard to break stuff, especially off highway. I think some of that carries over into what I expect, and I have to make myself think otherwise.

Glad you had a good week.

Yeah it's the same here I'm semi there, they don't really have to teach me how to drive at GFS there's really nothing they have to teach me it's just me getting used to new equipment and keeping my self calm above all else if I'm relaxed then it's really not a big deal. As far as the delivery process goes that hasn't been a big big deal either, there's a few adjustments, but it's gone okay for the most part I think I have a fairly good grasp as to what's going on, nobody has been banging there head against the wall trying to teach me things ha-ha! Actually they kept on saying learning the handheld is the hardest part. I think there is some truth to that.

I'll get it down, although sometimes what I look for is them teaching me things that maybe I never though of stuff like that and that carries over into the delivery process as well, little tricks and things like that.

I tell you what though that can be hard for some people to, some people the driving they can do good at, but when it came time to deliver and work the computer it gets very difficult.

I'm glad you like it so far, once you recognize the product it will get easier. Call on your old Tetris skills when loading your two wheeler, I used to go out and help guys catch up they always seemed to be the ones with their two wheelers half loaded. You will be surprised at how much you can get on a two wheeler. If you can eliminate just two trips per stop (which you can't always) you would be amazed at the amount of time that saves.

I was issued my two wheeler Friday and I also have my Magliner that I used to deliver liquor with that I am going to start using as well hopefully that helps and I can really stack it on there. My Magliner has the fold out extension tongue so I should really be able to stack it reallly good when I have a stop that has a lot of freezer.