Yellow | Flexibility

lazylarry

TB Lurker
Credits
I just found this on TDU. I did not write this but totally agree. It is in reference to Mr. Welch saying what he needs in this contract extension.

There’s that word again, “flexibility”. We learned from the past agreements that translates too, we will make the rules and we reserve the right to change them at any time. The union says they are willing to open talks as long as there are no new concession …………….well flexibility is a concession, and a damn dangerous one at that. That statement alone by Mr. Welch should have been enough to stop any talks of an extension to the current agreement. They complain of absenteeism, well maybe they should look at why that is a problem. Moral at this company is disgraceful at best. Our brothers and sisters are being attacked on all fronts by a anti-union style management that includes everything from disrespect too declining wages and benefits. When you are looked at as the reason for all their problems and therefore the solution (your pay is too high, your benefit package is too expensive, you have too much vacation, we don’t have enough “flexibility”.) they should be glad any of you come to work. When the union cowls from their responsibility of representing you, and telling management NO!!! it only means that they hope the hype and despair of the alternative to an extension will lead you into accepting more of it. Then once again when “flexibility” comes to the forefront after the ink has dried and you complain to union leadership you will hear that faithful statement “well you guys voted for it” - See more at: YRC and IBT in Talks on Contract Extension | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

The only flexibility I like is when a chic can put her legs behind her head.

Last edited by a moderator:
They already have roads guys (more than 1) running my area making pickups and returning to the break bulk. And these guys know my customers as well as I do, when they're dispatched they know which one they want to go to and which to stay away from. What more do they want?

unless we cross into another local's territory with deliveries, the company does anything it wants. pick up and delivery by mechanics and janitor. sup stripping freight instead of calling a man on the 4th, gets a write up in the jeff rogers journal praising him for it. sup recently made a home delivery on sunday, we have bid personel on sunday. drivers work the dock 8 hours some days before they go peddle. only in pay,in vacations/sick days/personals/ in bidding for bids and vacations is anything contractual recognized. we cut the mechanic off o/t, from above the terminal level, but let a $100 an hour vendor do his work. COMPANY DOES ANYTHING IT WANTS, ANY WAY IT WANTS NOW.

Flexibility is what we have now , already a 2 yr extension & work rule changes , and whats to say 2 yrs from now they come back and say we need more again ?? we really don't have a contract ??? lets turn the tables and say in 2 yrs YRC is making money can the union then say lets reopen contract talks to get some money back ?? think not ?? flexibility is a way to screw us some more ??? enough is enough !!!!

only thing more flexible than grabbing your ankles would be if you could kiss you own @$$. j/s

Flexibility means degrading or weakening work rules. Weakening work rules always means more layoffs and more opportunity for management to show favoritism which has always been a problem at YRC. We have all seen how much better a worker at YRC gets treated when he kisses the supervisor`s a$$. He gets better runs as a driver or better loads to work as a dock worker. YRC management has always thrived on dissention in the ranks. Why would anyone vote to give this company an opportunity to make this problem worse by weakening work rules or as they call it "flexibility". In the long run, "flexibility" could end up costing you more financially than the financial concessions that no one should have to give up. These people have come to the well so often that it`s hard to believe what they say, especially after they tried to buy ABF. Everyone has an opinion and should do what is in their best interest and keep in mind the best interest of their co-workers, but that word flexibility should be examined very carefully by all. Your job may depend on it.

our terminal does anything it wants, any way it wants, unless it enters another local union's area. our local lets them do as they please. company lies in word, speech, document and deed. nothing can be believed until verified through outside sources. they even lie about the most trivial of matters.
we are flexible, like any yogi practicing the kama sutra, we are screwed from every angle.