Flying in all shop stewards this Friday ...WHY?

the one i heard was too increase insurance by ten bucks

Health insurance used to be 100% paid by the company at Eastern. They started charging the drivers a portion of the premium 2 to 3 years back now. Currently we pay $20.00 for individual, $30.00 for couple, $40.00 for family.

Not sure what the NEMF side is paying but it is pretty reasonable (so far anyway) based on what other carriers are charging their drivers for health insurance.

I heard some companies have an ala carte type pricing schedule that could run well over $150.00 per week to the driver.

I am crossing my fingers that we can all weather this downturn without losing our jobs in the process.

health insurance

you are correct. That is cheap compared to other carriers. I dont know what kind of service you get but they all suck.just dont get sick. Mike wants a give back. He will get it too. Everyone else is giving back and he wants his share. so much for being a peoples owner. He lays off 1,000 workers right before Christmas??? He listens too much to his so called advisors. Mike, take your hard earned money, retire, enjoy your life. The hell with these people. you earned it.

icon1.gif
Flying in all shop stewards this Friday ...WHY?

Will start negotiation of new contract next week.

Am I the only one that considers this an unprecedented move?

Why didn't the BA's go first? (two man committee)

I can’t believe – with an occurrence of this magnitude… that there isn’t more information being made available!

from a reliable source is no raise thru this contract and 125 a wk for ins they can kiss my :eck13:

Heck it would not surprise me if the company decided to discontinue offering paid holidays. Most of the large truck load carriers do not offer any kind of paid holidays, sick days, or personal days. Breakdown pay? Forget about it! Detention pay? Well.... Maybe "IF" we can collect it from the shipper we will pay a portion to the driver. Of course it may take a few weeks to collect it so do not expect it right away!

There are so many ways we could get screwed it isn't funny (on both sides union and non-union).

A couple ploys I have heard of being used at other carriers to try to hang on and stay in business include slow pay to the drivers, missing bills (so no pay to the driver), skimming miles from each drivers pay, even confiscating escrow and maintenance accounts from lease ops that quit or get fired. I hope management has more integrity and scruples than to even consider any of these tactics.

I am just waiting for the memo letting all the old timers here at Eastern know we will no longer be paid for drops/hooks or stops. Of course I hope this does not happen but when you are a non union employee and have no contract you really have no say other than to quit the company and try to get on somewhere else.

Come to think of it, I think they tried to implement a total pay structure change when Gavin was hired. I seem to remember a proposal to give up the drops/hooks and stop pay in exchange for a .02 cpm raise.

After crunching the numbers I realized this would amount to a $50.00 per week pay cut and so declined their "offer." One driver did in fact accept the change and was so angry when he realized he got a pay cut he threatened to quit over it.

In the current economy I doubt threatening to quit would be a sensible move unless you are independently wealthy or have a better gig all lined up.

1) Nov. 25, 2009 Mike will be 75 yrs. old.

2) His daughter Nancy was the frontrunner, till she began dating Macca.....
Now, who knows?

3) Sell? Who has money now? Who would want a company that loses 300k a day with an already too low pay-scale and aging equipment? Everyone says they are "very busy" and "slammed with freight", how can that equal a 30 million dollar loss in 18 months?

Sorry, I editorialized #3 and don't want to ruffles feathers, just my opinions.......

Yeah let's take a pay cut or more for insurance, when there is new tractors sitting idol while we are driving around in POS.

Here at 68 will are thinking maybe they would all of us under one contact! It would make sense since they want to grow.

don't count on it
right now they got you right where they want you
totaly divided

you would be foolish to think that whatever they have in mind would benefit you

being under one contract would only benefit you not them