FedEx Freight | FMCSA Guidance on "Personal Conveyance" (off duty).

For road drivers, our pre/post-trip compensation is factored into our fixed task pay so we’re compensated regardless of when we actually preform the duty. For me, I pre/post- trip the tractor in the hotel parking lot eventhough I was compensated and showed “on duty” while on the yard.

I never understood why people don't drive tractor over to building where oil etc are to do pre and post trips. I mean if you're low on fluids then you have to shut hood and go there anyways.

I never understood why people don't drive tractor over to building where oil etc are to do pre and post trips. I mean if you're low on fluids then you have to shut hood and go there anyways.
If you start the engine and drive to where the oil is before checking it, how can you get an accurate reading on the stick when you just pumped oil up through the engine?? I always check the oil first, then drive to add if needed...the last thing you want to do is overfill.

If you start the engine and drive to where the oil is before checking it, how can you get an accurate reading on the stick when you just pumped oil up through the engine?? I always check the oil first, then drive to add if needed...the last thing you want to do is overfill.

You will get accurate reading regardless as long as engine is shut off.

Thought about this yesterday. I'm coming home from a run to my home terminal. My car is there. If I run out of hours can I finish my run using PC? The fact that the load I'm carrying is going to my home terminal is irrelevant. If I can get there and park my load, I'm done for the day and can go home.

No you would not be able to do this. However , the fmcsa just passed new rules regarding PC just the other day. They really won't apply to us though. You can drive loaded or unloaded to the nearest safe parking area IF you run out of hours while at/on a shipper or receivers property.

For road drivers, our pre/post-trip compensation is factored into our fixed task pay so we’re compensated regardless of when we actually preform the duty. For me, I pre/post- trip the tractor in the hotel parking lot eventhough I was compensated and showed “on duty” while on the yard.

Having been compensated elsewhere doesn't eliminate the requirement to log on-duty while actually performing the task. I realize we're nit picking, but that's what we do here, more often than not.
:smilie93c peelout:

Not sure what happens as we were encouraged to not use it. Different terminals have different policies like we continually find out about.

While true, in terms of "encouragement", this POLICY is uniform. It applies to all and is not subject to "Center discretion". :nono h4h:
We were told the same thing, PC is for bobtail only....hmmmm :scratchhead:
We were told the same PC is bobtail only.

Finally got a hold of a preshift on "the policy", and yes, yall are correct. Still don't have the entire formal policy, but the preshift reiterates the policy, so it will suffice.

Clearly, FedEx has not (yet) updated the policy to reflect the regulatory guidance issued and published in the Federal Register on 6/7/2018.
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...s-regulatory-guidance-concerning-the-use-of-a

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmc...v-personal-conveyance-regulatory-guidance.pdf

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/regulatory-guidance-personal-conveyance-0

While the Company does have the right to limit the use of this option beyond the requirements, there are significant benefits to be had by updating the policy. We can further explore this and even "encourage" the powers that be to change the policy, as appropriate, if anyone cares enough about it.

The POLICY

To qualify as off-duty (PC) time:

The driver must be free to pursue activities of his/her own choosing.

Must not perform any work related activity.

Driving short distances from terminal to en route lodging during a lay down.

Driving to nearby restaurants during required FMCSA Off-Duty break and/or FedEx Freight required meal break.

Vehicle must be unladen

Driver must be unhooked prior to entering Off-Duty (PC) status.

If anyone needs an official copy of this, let me know. Questions, comments or concerns? Bring 'em on... :1036316054:

Last edited:
I have always struggled to get PC as an option on my ELD.

Sometimes it will pop up at random times but it never seems to be there when I could utilize it.

Does anyone know correct sequence of actions to get to PC every time?

Can I go from driving to PC immediately after dropping out? Is there a minimum time that needs to have lapsed first?

Can I go from On Duty to PC without selecting off duty first?

Can I go to PC after being off duty for awhile? Less than 7 minutes?

Thanks for any concrete info.

Sometimes it will pop up at random times but it never seems to be there when I could utilize it.

Can I go from driving to PC immediately after dropping out? Is there a minimum time that needs to have lapsed first?

I find it easiest to get the PC option to come up when the brakes are released...

Once arriving at my destination, I go to “on duty” to preform my post-trip and drop. Once I’m done I release the brakes, dump the bags, and pull out from under my trailer(s) then I immediately go to “PC” regardless of how much time has expired....”PC” is “off duty”. Once my lunch is over, I go back “on duty”, hook and pre-trip, then proceed to driving. Usually my total “on duty” time is 10-15 mins.

“PC” is an option under the “off duty” tab, they’re one in the same.

I’ve never tried to go “off duty” for 7-8 mins then go to “PC” for fear it would start my 30 min nanny break all over again.

I always wonder why "most" don't check oil before starting. It's easier & cleaner. No rag required. I always do it before even climbing into the cab.

'Course, I'm what you might call an "efficiency expert''... :poke:

Troll here. I can do an adequate tractor pretrip in the amount of time it takes our "ELD" to boot up. Technically, I guess I should edit my log. But as with other circumstances in the course of a shift, how much additional time am I expected to work (waste) for the sake of documentation? Beauracracy at its finest. Work more to make sure we don't work too much.

Also, if I decide to take my nanny break in route instead of at the meet point/hub, upon arrival I go straight from “driving” to “off duty/PC”....no “on duty” time needed...and vice-versa once I’m ready to leave.

Just remember to pull up “off duty/PC” before setting the brakes and the option will be there.

I don't know for sure why the PC option is not always a readily available option. I've been curious about this too.

The answer to the rest of the questions is YES. And there is no minimum required.

I always wonder why "most" don't check oil before starting. It's easier & cleaner. No rag required. I always do it before even climbing into the cab.

'Course, I'm what you might call an "efficiency expert''... :poke:

"You guys actually checked oil? I went by the amount on the door handle and steering wheel, just assumed engine
had oil."