FedEx Freight | FMCSA Stops Enforcing Break Requirement on Short-Haul Drivers

moonlighter

TB Lurker
Credits
for more info go to TruckingInfo.com

Moving quickly to enforce last week’s court decision on hours of service, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will no longer enforce the 30-minute break requirement for short-haul operations.

The agency is defining short-haul drivers in two ways.

First, those with or without commercial licenses who operate within 100 air miles of their normal reporting location.

Second, those who operate without a commercial license within a 150 air-mile radius of where they report for duty.

These are the standard definitions of short-haul drivers within Sections 395.1(e)(1 and 2) of the Code of Federal Regulations.

The agency said that even though the court’s ruling does not take effect for another month, it will immediately stop enforcement.

It is possible that this situation could change if either of the parties to the court case, American Trucking Associations and Public Citizen, takes additional legal action, the agency said.

In its decision last Friday the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld the 34-hour restart provision of the new truck driver hours of service rule but rejected the 30-minute break requirement for short-haul drivers.

Yea but FedEx is still. They are getting ready to make it a critical written with a few days off then termination.

Yea but FedEx is still. They are getting ready to make it a critical written with a few days off then termination.
If they can nickel and dime us on write ups, they'll pile up, and they can fire us. No severance package needed for all the layoffs coming down the pipe. Look at the strict approach they've taken towards forklift safety lately. They want to make it impossible for an employee to keep that folder squeaky clean, just so they can pull the trigger on you when It's time. These rules have more to do with their long term goals than they do with safety.

Ill do some digging on Monday to see if they still are planning on going the tough route. I just reread the first post and it would make sense if they were still planning on doing it though since part of the company doesn't fall under the short haul classification. I wish they would come up with just a LTL rules and regs.

They will just " Disqualify " you as a driver and tell you that you can work " extra dock" time. IF any. The " IF " being the key word. So they starve you out you quit. NO unemployment POOF your gone....It's part of the " People First Policy." Like I have told HR b4 I like my job " I absolutely hate the politics"

Not many runs at our terminal within a 100 mile air radius anyway. I am pretty sure everyone at fedex has a cdl so the 150 mile won't apply at all.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know if fedex will honor this no break for short haul rule???

I have asked 4 different center managers, and not a one of them even knew about this rule. I did emphasize that those of us who do the real work in this company need this clarified. We either go by DOT rules, or Fedex makes their own rules, either way, we need to know.