Yellow | FMCSA To Release New HOS Rule December 22!

I guess if some of us had those big money union jobs, we could afford to run those 425 mile runs and be home. Most of us are not that fortunate. Leave the HOS alone.

425? I'm thinking more along the lines of 220. And I'm being 100% truthful. And it has more to do with your debt load than your mileage rate. We have guys running 580 a night and it's not enough. Just have to be willing to accept less sometimes. I have a 1999 F150 and it gets me where I need to go. Don't need a new truck.

I guess if some of us had those big money union jobs, we could afford to run those 425 mile runs and be home. Most of us are not that fortunate. Leave the HOS alone.

Good grief man, I can't believe your way of thinking! Instead of wanting to work longer hours and drive more miles to make a decent wage doesn't it make more sense to fight for better wages and conditions and be able to earn a decent living working fewer hours and miles? Do you really want to spend all of your life behind the wheel? What's the point??

nanny state

The thing that gives me the most pause is that the 34-hour reset has to "include two consecutive off-duty periods from midnight to 6 a.m." I wonder about that. It would work out OK for my particular schedule, but I bet that window of time falls smack in the middle of screwing up somebody's day if they tie it to fixed times like that. "Midnight" is a very relative thing when you're in a 24/7/365 business.

The rest of it, good luck to y'all not getting screwed. If you ask me, they should have never started screwing with the HOS rules int he first place. They're pointless anyway. If you're sleepy, get some rest, and screw dispatch. If you're not sleepy, hammer down.

this is just more BS from the liberals in the nanny state business . HOS are ridiculous for sure . You can bet that whatever they are up to it will be very bad for drivers and good for them as they got big money from someone that lobbied them .

Good grief man, I can't believe your way of thinking! Instead of wanting to work longer hours and drive more miles to make a decent wage doesn't it make more sense to fight for better wages and conditions and be able to earn a decent living working fewer hours and miles? Do you really want to spend all of your life behind the wheel? What's the point??

Fighting for better wages is a total waste of time or even thinking on it . Only the big union guys are getting that and they are paying out their noses for that union and the rest of the country is picking up the tab for them high wages in higher goods prices . The liberals are trying to destroy the middle class by destroying the trucking industries smaller companies . that is why big union is supported by the liberals . The union thugs pay them large for their support . Filthy rich greedy union thugs and their politicians could care less if you have to pay 10 bucks for a tomato . They just want to be the only transporters and rake in the huge money . CSA law . designed just for that reason . to put all small companies out of business and make the drivers for them unemployable .

Fighting for better wages is a total waste of time or even thinking on it . Only the big union guys are getting that and they are paying out their noses for that union and the rest of the country is picking up the tab for them high wages in higher goods prices . The liberals are trying to destroy the middle class by destroying the trucking industries smaller companies . that is why big union is supported by the liberals . The union thugs pay them large for their support . Filthy rich greedy union thugs and their politicians could care less if you have to pay 10 bucks for a tomato . They just want to be the only transporters and rake in the huge money . CSA law . designed just for that reason . to put all small companies out of business and make the drivers for them unemployable .

Wow, what a defeatist attitude! First of all, I never said anything about "union" in my post. The point of my comments (that you apparently missed) is that we "labor" types should be fighting for decent pay for realistic work conditions, not looking to work longer hours in order to earn a living. Life is too short, more quality time away from work should be the goal of anyone in any work environment. Don't you think so?

Wow, what a defeatist attitude! First of all, I never said anything about "union" in my post. The point of my comments (that you apparently missed) is that we "labor" types should be fighting for decent pay for realistic work conditions, not looking to work longer hours in order to earn a living. Life is too short, more quality time away from work should be the goal of anyone in any work environment. Don't you think so?

would be nice but it is a waste of time . Wages have not gone up in how many decades ? But they do go down . I was just pointing out why it is not going to do any good . too many big union thugs and politicians . Just one look at the starting wages from OTR and I knew that was not a job for me . Who the hell can live on a hundred bucks or so a week for months and then on very little more than that for years to come . even the top wages of most of them are little more than a minimum wage job would pay you for 40 hours . I got smart and dumped that OTR idea and went end dump . home every night and make a lot more than 100 bucks .

would be nice but it is a waste of time . Wages have not gone up in how many decades ? But they do go down . I was just pointing out why it is not going to do any good . too many big union thugs and politicians . Just one look at the starting wages from OTR and I knew that was not a job for me . Who the hell can live on a hundred bucks or so a week for months and then on very little more than that for years to come . even the top wages of most of them are little more than a minimum wage job would pay you for 40 hours . I got smart and dumped that OTR idea and went end dump . home every night and make a lot more than 100 bucks .

When drivers are in short supply, the OTR companies bump up the wages and add on signing bonuses. Doesn't that tell you something? Ever hear of supply & demand? If drivers wouldn't settle for those crappy wages and not take those jobs to begin with, don't you think those companies would have to sweeten the offers in order to get drivers? We (labor) are too often our own worst enemy by taking sub-standard wages in order to just have a job. I'm not saying it's easy to do when you have bills and family responsibilities, but refusing to work for low wages does cause the wages to get better. Bottom line is that the companies do need the workers or there's no point to them being in business at all.

Rest!!! We mexicans don't need no stinkin rest!!! We make energizer bunny look lazy!!!

Comprende gringo!!!

When drivers are in short supply, the OTR companies bump up the wages and add on signing bonuses. Doesn't that tell you something? Ever hear of supply & demand? If drivers wouldn't settle for those crappy wages and not take those jobs to begin with, don't you think those companies would have to sweeten the offers in order to get drivers? We (labor) are too often our own worst enemy by taking sub-standard wages in order to just have a job. I'm not saying it's easy to do when you have bills and family responsibilities, but refusing to work for low wages does cause the wages to get better. Bottom line is that the companies do need the workers or there's no point to them being in business at all.

Never never give up , unions fought long and hard years ago just to get here. Now it seems like its a cycle. The circumstances are different but it looks oh so familiar. Seems alot of people eyes seem to be opening to the amount of screwing you can get union or non. Its a huge attack on the middle class people and i hope we have a favorable outcome as we did in the past. While you ( markk) are exactually what the fat cats love a guy that is easly defeted and just says its a waste of time. Com on man .

While you ( markk) are exactually what the fat cats love a guy that is easly defeted and just says its a waste of time. Com on man .

What the fat cats REALLY love are the guys who go deep into debt living beyond their means and then go into work every day undercutting their fellow man and whine if they didn't get to work 14 hours. They have become slaves to the machine that feeds the fat cats. It's modern day slavery only this time they got it right because they could never get the other ones to complain that they have to take a lunch or have off on a full weekend to spend time with their families.

You guys need to really listen to what you're saying.

True but wages have been stalled for a long time . Nothing is getting better . Then add in the bad economy and the high cost of fuel etc and wages are not likely to go up no matter what . Do not know what they are going to do when all the older drivers retire . they almost refuse to hire any newbies .
I do not know how people can refuse to take the jobs at the lower pay when no way to live without it . catch 22.

I will just stick with my end dump job that pays decent for around here . Sure not going to be retiring or anything but I can live okay and I do not have to do any hard work or sleep in a truck and I only work part of the year . But I would like to make at least 50K but that will never happen .

Why not try LTL? Most are hiring off and on throughout the year. Poke around on these forums and you're sure to get enough info to get yourself on somewhere. $50k isn't really a big deal in this business. And you're home every day and the benefits are pretty good. Get your hazmat and doubles endorsements. That's the first step. And be positive about this. It's out there.

Why not try LTL? Most are hiring off and on throughout the year. Poke around on these forums and you're sure to get enough info to get yourself on somewhere. $50k isn't really a big deal in this business. And you're home every day and the benefits are pretty good. Get your hazmat and doubles endorsements. That's the first step. And be positive about this. It's out there.

I just do not think that is for me . too much stress with all that driving in town traffic and backing off of busy streets into driveways etc. I kind of like just being able to whip around in a dirt lot and dump on a pile and run . that is what I do most of the time any way . I suppose if a person had someone to train them how to do the LTL job it would not be so bad but then there is that unloading stuff and I do not think I like doing manual labor a whole lot . did too much of it for too long . Now I take it easy .

Markk- In that case I agree with you. Half the battle is finding something you're happy with. Nothing worse than working with a guy who hates his job and keeps voluntarily coming in every day for more punishment. Lol. I am a line haul driver and agree that I couldn't do the city job, bumping docks all day. I've done it before and didn't like it as much as running at night.

I have the easiest job in the world. All I have to do is hook up two trailers, run them 110 miles down the road, drop them out and then bring two back. Same thing every night. No traffic and no hassles. Might have to work the dock once in a while, but how hard is that when everything is on a pallet? If they give me a manual labor type trailer, I do what I can. Nothing more and don't stress about it. As long as I'm moving, they don't say anything.

The TL sector is a whole different animal. No stability on either end. Drivers coming and going and management treating them as if they didn't care. But I think it's always been that way. I recall when I first got in this business watching my brother work for just about every company out there and quit complaining about getting screwed. I kept the same job thinking it didn't matter where I worked there was going to be b.s. thrown at me. Glad I did, because I was able to at least have a stable work history to help me get to where I am.

Markk- In that case I agree with you. Half the battle is finding something you're happy with. Nothing worse than working with a guy who hates his job and keeps voluntarily coming in every day for more punishment. Lol. I am a line haul driver and agree that I couldn't do the city job, bumping docks all day. I've done it before and didn't like it as much as running at night.

I have the easiest job in the world. All I have to do is hook up two trailers, run them 110 miles down the road, drop them out and then bring two back. Same thing every night. No traffic and no hassles. Might have to work the dock once in a while, but how hard is that when everything is on a pallet? If they give me a manual labor type trailer, I do what I can. Nothing more and don't stress about it. As long as I'm moving, they don't say anything.

The TL sector is a whole different animal. No stability on either end. Drivers coming and going and management treating them as if they didn't care. But I think it's always been that way. I recall when I first got in this business watching my brother work for just about every company out there and quit complaining about getting screwed. I kept the same job thinking it didn't matter where I worked there was going to be b.s. thrown at me. Glad I did, because I was able to at least have a stable work history to help me get to where I am.

I have never done anything but haul dirt and rocks . Mostly I drive down the highway for about 80 to 120 miles and then back to the same place all day . taking care of asphalt and concrete plants . sometimes I drop off at road or building construction sites . I like the long runs .

Your job seems good . i could do something like that . I was a painter , aircraft parts , cabinets , cars , before this and although I am very good at it I hated every minute of it . Driving is so much easier with no damned bosses and bosses bosses and .... hanging over me all day long . Now the only stress I have is people driving 50 in a 65 two lane . But I think they are fixing to make the two lane I drive on most of the time into 4 lanes . Been a lot of surveying going on . if I can only last through a few years of construction .

Life is not too bad come to think of it . Best move I ever made was driving .

Mostly I drive down the highway for about 80 to 120 miles and then back to the same place all day .

Around here from the quarry to the asphalt plant is 14 miles and 19 red lights, concrete plant 20 miles and 28 red lights, you got it made:biglaugh: