Yellow | FMCSA To Release New HOS Rule December 22!

Around here from the quarry to the asphalt plant is 14 miles and 19 red lights, concrete plant 20 miles and 28 red lights, you got it made:biglaugh:

There's always someone who's got it better and worse. Gotta count you're blessings that you at least have something sometimes.

Around here from the quarry to the asphalt plant is 14 miles and 19 red lights, concrete plant 20 miles and 28 red lights, you got it made:biglaugh:
that sucks . I drive from my truck 1 mile to get on interstate . Then 16 miles to sand pit right off of ramp . Then back up the ramp and down the highway with only a couple small towns in my way with only a couple lights in one and 1 stop sign in another then to the rock quarry that sits off the highway and back down the highway to the asphalt plant /sand pit off of the ramp .
Sweet !
Rock around here has to come from out in the boondocks . Nothing but sand in Wichita .

Good grief man, I can't believe your way of thinking! Instead of wanting to work longer hours and drive more miles to make a decent wage doesn't it make more sense to fight for better wages and conditions and be able to earn a decent living working fewer hours and miles? Do you really want to spend all of your life behind the wheel? What's the point??
I don't want extra hours whatsoever. I hate working to begin with but to earn a living you need to run some miles or get paid more per mile. If I was making $0.60+ per mile I could live just fine off of 400 miles a night. That scenario is the case for the few but not for the many.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the easiest job in the world. All I have to do is hook up two trailers, run them 110 miles down the road, drop them out and then bring two back. Same thing every night.
At $0.53 per mile that is $588.30 per week BEFORE taxes, insurance, 401k, etc. How in the hell do you pay your electric bill, phone bill, gas bill, food bill? @$0.59 it is $659 per week. Do you live in a tent somewhere in the wilderness?

I have zero car notes or a house note and I couldn't make it long on that little.

those Velocity guys were doing way better than that. they were all maxxed out on hours every week .
had to make sure the got out early on friday night b4 they ran out of hours.
must have been a real savings for yrc ... paying then that extra $per hour to work our dock freight all night long .

At $0.53 per mile that is $588.30 per week BEFORE taxes, insurance, 401k, etc. How in the hell do you pay your electric bill, phone bill, gas bill, food bill? @$0.59 it is $659 per week. Do you live in a tent somewhere in the wilderness?

I have zero car notes or a house note and I couldn't make it long on that little.

Who makes .53 ?
How long does one have to drive for a company to get that ?

From what I seen by looking on every company site I could find was an average of about 31 . Most newbies were from 09 to 28 for a few years .
Now that is why I did not go into OTR . No way can anyone make it on that unless they lived in their truck and ate Ramen noodles . hell that start pay would not pay for a storage building to put all my belongings in since I would no longer have a home .

hell I am not going to get rich and certainly will have to work until the day I fall over dead behind the wheel but at least I have a home and food .
I will most likely make around mid 30's I think . Still I guess that is quite rich compared to a lot of people so I am blessed .

I worked for about 9000 a year ( only worked about 6 months out of the year ) plus 6000 in unemployment in the winter for 3 years to get the experience needed to get this job I have now .

think about a job change. my wife makes that doing day care . and home to make my dinner b4 i leave for yrc.

No matter what is in the new rule, it will be challanged in court. The reason they waited till the 22nd is that EVERYONE will be out of town (DC) until after the start of the NEWYEAR. I'm in T/L for a LTL Non Union company, I'm on Electronic Logging. I rarely run a full 11 or 14 before I take a break. Not once have I even come close to hitting my 70,I'm home every weekend and get 34-48 hrs off.I make .425, which in T/L is pretty decent money at 2000-2500 miles a week. If the new rules make it impossiable to earn a living the way I do now.....I'll look for somthing else to do. Let the MEXICANS have at it!

Lol. I also get about 20 hours of clock time each week as well. Money is tight, don't get me wrong, but we don't have to pay daycare which is a huge bonus. For me, that is a second job essentially.

I'm a little lost. Everyone is talking of what the new rules will be but I have not been able to find or read them anywhere. Don't really know why it's such a big secret. I've been in the business for many years and worked under the 1935 rules for most of them. I'm not in a job that requires 7 days a week right now but I think the rules in place are pretty fair. I don't think any rules are going to make everyone happy but these have been working well. Now they are going to change them and not for the better. And the cost to the tax payers is astronomical, again. Then the lawsuits will be filed and we will start all over again. The last new rules reduced accidents and improved conditions. I don't think they can do much better than that. It will create need for more drivers in a time where we cannot find enough to fill the openings now. "Bring in more illegals." Reduces the actual pay hours of many drivers and forces others to work longer for the same money because they are taking forced unpaid lunches. Bottom line....is anyone out there able to give me a link to a site where I can see the rules they are going to announce next week????? Thanks..

Here's a link to the new proposed rules along side the current rules : Hours-of-Service (HOS) Proposed Rulemaking (December 2010) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I'm a little lost. Everyone is talking of what the new rules will be but I have not been able to find or read them anywhere. Don't really know why it's such a big secret. I've been in the business for many years and worked under the 1935 rules for most of them. I'm not in a job that requires 7 days a week right now but I think the rules in place are pretty fair. I don't think any rules are going to make everyone happy but these have been working well. Now they are going to change them and not for the better. And the cost to the tax payers is astronomical, again. Then the lawsuits will be filed and we will start all over again. The last new rules reduced accidents and improved conditions. I don't think they can do much better than that. It will create need for more drivers in a time where we cannot find enough to fill the openings now. "Bring in more illegals." Reduces the actual pay hours of many drivers and forces others to work longer for the same money because they are taking forced unpaid lunches. Bottom line....is anyone out there able to give me a link to a site where I can see the rules they are going to announce next week????? Thanks..

Thanks, but I have read these time and time again over the past year. I have looked over the "proposed' rule changes and find them lacking. Also the DOT has kept the final proposals close to the chest and I still have not been able to find anything other than these year old proposals. I run 550-600 miles a nite now. Have been working long, hard hours pretty much all of my more than 40 years in the business. Right now I am paid by the hour and not by the mile and my run times include enough to get a coffee or take a short nap while still on the clock. These proposed rules will force me to clock off duty and take these breaks unpaid. I don't see how that's going to improved anything one bit. Either I shorten my paid run time or increase it by taking some paid and some unpaid breaks. Then the freight gets there a half hour or more later and the City Driver is late getting onto the street and gets back later and the linehaul driver leaves later and ect., ect. Just going to create a bigger mess for the customer, employer, and the employee. Increased freight rates. On and on.

why does every1 think that any will be able to protest this.
what every they decide will in all means be final i would think

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I have read these time and time again over the past year. I have looked over the "proposed' rule changes and find them lacking. Also the DOT has kept the final proposals close to the chest and I still have not been able to find anything other than these year old proposals. I run 550-600 miles a nite now. Have been working long, hard hours pretty much all of my more than 40 years in the business. Right now I am paid by the hour and not by the mile and my run times include enough to get a coffee or take a short nap while still on the clock. These proposed rules will force me to clock off duty and take these breaks unpaid. I don't see how that's going to improved anything one bit. Either I shorten my paid run time or increase it by taking some paid and some unpaid breaks. Then the freight gets there a half hour or more later and the City Driver is late getting onto the street and gets back later and the linehaul driver leaves later and ect., ect. Just going to create a bigger mess for the customer, employer, and the employee. Increased freight rates. On and on.

Whether or not you get paid for your lunch/break time has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can log that time as off duty. Two totally separate issues.

PS - So you run 550-600 miles a night and don't take a decent meal break? What a sorry way to work in my opinion anyway.

Whether or not you get paid for your lunch/break time has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can log that time as off duty. Two totally separate issues.

PS - So you run 550-600 miles a night and don't take a decent meal break? What a sorry way to work in my opinion anyway.

Well, I'm from the old days when we all stopped and spent many an hour setting around the round table with other drivers from other companies and discussing the industry and the times. Now, even find me a sit down restaurant that is open at nite. Then find me a truck driver, union or not, that will take the time to sit down and eat. I don't like stand up stops any more than anyone else but that's all that is available and then you can't find anyone to sit and enjoy a meal with. Call it greed or call it what you want. When they closed out the '35 rules and put in the 14 punch to punch. Then nobody would stop anymore because it took away from their earning time. That's just the facts. Now you can't even get guys to talk on the CB. They are too busy with SAT radio, internet, and cell phone. They have manged to divide and conquer. That's just the facts. Like my username, I'm a short timer, not much left to go. I just sit and watch and shake my head. The old story about the ten truck drivers and the ten *****s. Sad to see but it's too late now.....Rock On!!!

Well, I'm from the old days when we all stopped and spent many an hour setting around the round table with other drivers from other companies and discussing the industry and the times. Now, even find me a sit down restaurant that is open at nite. Then find me a truck driver, union or not, that will take the time to sit down and eat. I don't like stand up stops any more than anyone else but that's all that is available and then you can't find anyone to sit and enjoy a meal with. Call it greed or call it what you want. When they closed out the '35 rules and put in the 14 punch to punch. Then nobody would stop anymore because it took away from their earning time. That's just the facts. Now you can't even get guys to talk on the CB. They are too busy with SAT radio, internet, and cell phone. They have manged to divide and conquer. That's just the facts. Like my username, I'm a short timer, not much left to go. I just sit and watch and shake my head. The old story about the ten truck drivers and the ten *****s. Sad to see but it's too late now.....Rock On!!!

I agree with you 100% about how it was in the "old days" and how crappy it's gotten today. I've always searched out and found decent "sit down" places to eat a good meal even if it meant taking a set of pups into places they don't regularly go!! :hide: