Yellow | FMCSA To Release New HOS Rule December 22!

I agree with you 100% about how it was in the "old days" and how crappy it's gotten today. I've always searched out and found decent "sit down" places to eat a good meal even if it meant taking a set of pups into places they don't regularly go!! :hide:

LOL! That brings back many a memory. I drove doubles, triples for many years. Learned to back them up from mistakes where you put 'em. Got to be pretty good at it but haven't touched a converter in nine years. Don't look to do it again before I hang it up. Hope that this next generation can get their stuff together and make something out of their job classifications. We are more and more in demand because of the increase in regulations and the lack of young people that are willing or able to get into the industry but we are letting the employers crunch our numbers in fear of losing jobs. Won't be long before they figure out a way to bring the Mexicans in for full time cheap labor. Can't move this industry off shore so you bring off shore in to do the job. Just an opinion. Been doing the wait and see for a decade now. Still just wait and see. Hang onto your hats guys........

LOL! Won't be long before they figure out a way to bring the Mexicans in for full time cheap labor. Can't move this industry off shore so you bring off shore in to do the job. Just an opinion. Been doing the wait and see for a decade now. Still just wait and see. Hang onto your hats guys........

you can bet that these Mexican trucks are going to start taking over the jobs we have . they will keep giving them more and more rights over ours and employers will soon be able to hire them to come in and haul freight at half the price with fuel subsidies on our dime . Real amazing how our government panders to them . they get to come in as far as KC without any inspection of truck or freight . Great for the Mexican drug and people smugglers .

LOL! That brings back many a memory. I drove doubles, triples for many years. Learned to back them up from mistakes where you put 'em. Got to be pretty good at it but haven't touched a converter in nine years. Don't look to do it again before I hang it up. Hope that this next generation can get their stuff together and make something out of their job classifications. We are more and more in demand because of the increase in regulations and the lack of young people that are willing or able to get into the industry but we are letting the employers crunch our numbers in fear of losing jobs. Won't be long before they figure out a way to bring the Mexicans in for full time cheap labor. Can't move this industry off shore so you bring off shore in to do the job. Just an opinion. Been doing the wait and see for a decade now. Still just wait and see. Hang onto your hats guys........

I like the way you think. I've been in it for 35+ and have watched it change from what it use to be to what it is today. There is good and bad to both sides.

You mentioned that the last rule change made trucking safer and I agree with that. The figures are there to prove it. But, like every single company out there, you can be achieve 98% perfection and they will still want more (when 98% is damn good). There is no pleasing some people. It reminds me of the failure that is the war on poverty after billions of dollars have been thrown at it over the last 50 years and it is a miserable and utter failure and there are those that want more money thrown at it; Education...the same thing. No matter how hard you try you will fail to achieve utopia as it does NOT exist anywhere.

It is because of busy-bodys, the OWS types that stir this crap up. They have nothing better to do than to stand up like fools and be fools,; organizations like PATT. They are whiney-a$$ liberals nothing else to do, with a row to hoe and a contact in congress that will listen to their incessant whining. We have these ridiculous rules thrown at us because, like most of us, we are out on the road trying to make a living and have no time to be a professional protestor.

I like the way you think. I've been in it for 35+ and have watched it change from what it use to be to what it is today. There is good and bad to both sides.

You mentioned that the last rule change made trucking safer and I agree with that. The figures are there to prove it. But, like every single company out there, you can be achieve 98% perfection and they will still want more (when 98% is damn good). There is no pleasing some people. It reminds me of the failure that is the war on poverty after billions of dollars have been thrown at it over the last 50 years and it is a miserable and utter failure and there are those that want more money thrown at it; Education...the same thing. No matter how hard you try you will fail to achieve utopia as it does NOT exist anywhere.

It is because of busy-bodys, the OWS types that stir this crap up. They have nothing better to do than to stand up like fools and be fools,; organizations like PATT. They are whiney-a$$ liberals nothing else to do, with a row to hoe and a contact in congress that will listen to their incessant whining. We have these ridiculous rules thrown at us because, like most of us, we are out on the road trying to make a living and have no time to be a professional protestor.
I really believe that the last set of changes in the HOS rules were effective for everyone involved and have proven results. The best that I can tell from the articles that I have read, just about everyone involved is satisfied with things the way they are now. The ATA, many members of Congress, the owner-operators, and most of the LTL companies and drivers do not want any more changes. I do believe that the Teamsters International wants driving hours cut back and some of the forced breaks. I think they believe that it will bring back or maybe create more jobs. Teamster and otherwise. It has been my observation though, that we are at the very beginning of a tremendous driver shortage. The main core of the drivers out here are at or near retirement age. There are far less 25 year olds out there than are needed. Also, and I hate to say it, our youth today just do not have the work ethic and conviction of their earlier generations. Transportation industry has always had long, hard hours and seven days a week operation. The pay has provided a good living for many that did not have higher education or specific labor skills but we have paid the price with long hard hours. Some in the ranks want to work as hard as they can and make as much money as possible and others just want to work 8 hours a day, five days a week during daylight hours and still make as much as the one that is working 65-70 hours at all hours of the day for seven days a week. Nothing is going to make everyone happy but I believe that the rules that we have in place now were the best to keep all involved satisfied. Unfortunately, as you say, the special interest groups with ties to politicians seem to think that things need changed and our political leaders feel that they have to change things just to justify their existence and get votes to keep themselves in office. (Guess they don't think we in the industry have time to follow politics or vote.) They are going to change things, something, anything. I would just like to know what the changes are going to be in black and white. Everyone seems to have an idea what the changes will be but I have seen nothing in writing. I'm sure that they are interest standing in line to file lawsuits as soon as they are announced so we may not see any real changes before we retire...

You are right, the younger generation wants no part of this highly over-regulated industry. Hell, I am sick of it myself. As all of us older hands start to hang it up, the shortages are going to grow. Couple that with this CSA 2010 fiasco along with the ridiculous happy monkey dance one has to go through to obtain a haz-mat endorsement (finger prints fore the FBI and the TSA every 5 years plus $170 to obtain it) is really going to put a hurt on the driver supply. I may never see it in the few years I have left but the premium these companies are going to end up paying to hire a driver to haul their garbage up and down the road is going to go through the roof. As a result, the freight rates are going to go up to accommodate that necessary pay increase.

And you are also right about the unions being neck deep in this. Though if it were up to me the teamsters would be a thing of the past in short order, they are the major whiners about this legislation being upheld. More union dues being paid (meaning more $$$ going to DemocRAT party coffers) by more employees that are already being paid an exorbitant wage. But I digress. I've made my point.

I agree with the old ways.fmsca will quickly tell you.that if they don't address issues brought by such groups as MADD and others of this ilk.that FMSCA will be taken to court for not doing anything.so I see its a catch22.damned if you do damned if you don't.the whole process is a waste of time and money.

I agree with the old ways.fmsca will quickly tell you.that if they don't address issues brought by such groups as MADD and others of this ilk.that FMSCA will be taken to court for not doing anything.so I see its a catch22.damned if you do damned if you don't.the whole process is a waste of time and money.

Well, it's going to be interesting to see how MADD and PATT and the rest of the like are enjoying it when it gets down to them. First it's going to be the cell phones and I pads. Then the little black box is going to tell on them for every wrong move they make. I can picture citations for hard breaking, red lites, stop signs, ect. as their black box will be downloaded by law enforcement with gps location and info. Then maybe they will cause their engine to shut down after 10 hrs driving. That would really mess up the vacation. They pushed for this and turned their head while it was happening to the other guy, the truck driver. Never paying attention that if they took away the rites of others they would be back to take away their rites. This is going to be one 'I told you so." that I don't really want to live to see but we all know it is coming. Time to vote the bums out..........all of them. If they are incumbent then let them find a new job. Come out here in the private sector and enjoy the mess that they have made. We don't need to wait for them to vote in term limitation. We can do it for them if we could just wake the public up. Oh, but I forgot, they are too busy watching Dancing with the Stars and Nancy Grace.... GOD help us all.

And they are needed BADLY. Go look at Drilling in the Eagle Ford shale sparks S. Texas job boom - Houston Chronicle and you will see that you can do pretty much anything you want in the area S. of San Antonio. If you build a motel, it will be full every night. And there is also North Dakota...the same thing but harsher climates.
Plenty work in the barren parts of NW North Dakota if you don't mind lots of wind with -35 or colder with wind chills of -80 and a severe housing shortage !!!

Is December 22 when we are suppose to find out for sure what it is going to be...

That's what they tell me but everyone is acting like they already know all the details. I was trying to find out where they found them so that I could look them over myself. No reply so I guess it's not out there yet. Just have to wait and see.....

Kind of interesting to read that a trucking company based group is going to lobby politicians in February 2012 to keep the HOS at 11 hours. Do they know something we don't? DS

One of the outfits I haul for has bought homes their in San Antonio, for their hands to stay in.
They were spending $ 90.000 at the local motels.
Plenty work in the barren parts of NW North Dakota if you don't mind lots of wind with -35 or colder with wind chills of -80 and a severe housing shortage !!!

You can VOTE.. Convince everybody you can to throw the liberals out in the next election. All the Federal rules and regulations are chocking American business, industry and commerce and the pro-Green tree- huggers, and global warming nut balls are running this country into the ground. We can't compete with other countries that have no such government restrictions. More and more products are being made in China and other counties that have much cheaper production costs and much less government interference in things they know nothing about.

im sure any of those countries would be glad to have you. good luck and tc .
you can live in rubble their and not keep screwing this country up.