Holland | FMLA changes

Griz

TB Veteran
Credits
Heard vacation time would be exhausted before FMLA could be used. Is this process being used elsewhere?

Heard vacation time would be exhausted before FMLA could be used. Is this process being used elsewhere?

Yes, I have been told by two different people in Atlanta that are on FMLA that all of your vacation time is used prior to using any FMLA.

Don't quote me, and I don't work for Holland. 13 years ago I worked at another union carrier. I was on FMLA for 6 weeks. My employer wanted to take ALL of my vacation time.I lucked out. The local I was in at the time had written the contract in such a way so it was up to me how I wanted to do it.
I said heck no.Got on the sick list at the hall,Had to give up 1 week,which I took without pay, and of course,what I got from the sick list,came out to 2 days pay.But I still had all my time left when I came back
I believe the way the FMLA was written up,gives the employer the right to take/pay out all of the vacation and personal time.
Good luck to you,Hurry back

NO , as long as you have it put in for it for the year, they can't take , BUT each barn is different which is stupid !

Just wondering how each barn is different. Isn't FMLA a federal law ?
HAS to do each barn's Manager's , stupid rules that he or she makes up !! Like even the UNION rules are different in each barn to and even one board or two boards at barns , and even the west coast has a Match 401-K while we got BROKE CSPF one ??? It should same union & work rules at every barn ,BUT never happen !!

HAS to do each barn's Manager's , stupid rules that he or she makes up !! Like even the UNION rules are different in each barn to and even one board or two boards at barns , and even the west coast has a Match 401-K while we got BROKE CSPF one ??? It should same union & work rules at every barn ,BUT never happen !!
Who on the west coast has a match 401-k?

I understand the difference in union rules at different barns. What I don't understand how a manager can change or interpret a law which ever way he or she wishes.

I APOLIGIZE FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS POST AS I TYPED IT GOT LONGER HOPE IT HELPS
I use FMLA to care for my mother who is elderly and very sick at times there is no choice but to take off and care for her on any particular day. That being said when I needed to redo my FMLA application New Penn was cracking down on people abusing it and scrutinizing every application so I studied up and educated myself a few points to make on this.

First The FMLA is protected by the office of Civil Rights. Any questions you have or any violations can be reported to your local office on Civil Rights, I found them to be great very informative and willing to help. employers according to the law MUST have their info posted in your work place. (It's a big poster your rights under the FMLA) the number for your local office is on the poster.

Last year we had a terminal manager at New Penn who wanted to make us exhaust PTO before using FMLA two things happened the delegate said they could only change the rule we follow at the first of the year and the union had to be notified .

Second thing was that when I called the dept of Civil Rights they told me to inform my manager that they can only make you Exhaust PTO prior to approving your FMLA application once it's approved they can't.( a common misunderstanding)

I also found out that if you request vacation, sick days or personal days and you have days available your employer can not refuse it. No telling you that a prime day is full.

They also can not take holiday pay away from you if you use FMLA the day before or after the holiday.

a9Zbl9S.jpg

jZsm46s.jpg

oTSjgsq.jpg

J9DdbXc.jpg

Maybe this will help....

Think it is the Western Division , Reddway , and I asked our BA about ti and he yes they have it ,but like everything else every division has it's own plan & rules ??

Think it is the Western Division , Reddway , and I asked our BA about ti and he yes they have it ,but like everything else every division has it's own plan & rules ??
One must remember their are only a handful of union barns at Reddaway.
I have never heard of a 401 match for Reddaway Teamsters in the Western States Fund area.

People use that "matching 401k" line and it's b.s. What they fail to also say is "up to 4%", or "up to 6%".
Nobody actually MATCHES a 401K.

What they mean is that if the employee puts in 6%, the employer will match that 6%. But every employer has a maximum that they will match. Usually 4-6%.
:1036316054:

Redd away doesn't match. The pension fund is in good shape, and refused partial payments, so the union had to put the money into a 401 for all members. No match, just automatic weekly 25% contribution.

Which puts them into much better territory than most.