Follow that truck

ganis

TB Lurker
Credits
How about it? Can any of you NEMF expansion terminal guys tell me where tractors 92056 and 92057 went. I saw them all cleaned up and ready to go several weeks ago (in NJ) and I wonder which terminal they went to. They are CH Mack automatics and they are good trucks (the first automatic transmissions we got).

They are CH Mack automatics and they are good trucks (the first automatic transmissions we got).These are the worst trucks i ever drove i was assigned a new single screw auto two years ago when we got them they suck for p&d there alright for linehaul got suck about 10 times in dock gave it back and when in a 88 series tractor that you can acutally shift

They are CH Mack automatics and they are good trucks (the first automatic transmissions we got).These are the worst trucks i ever drove i was assigned a new single screw auto two years ago when we got them they suck for p&d there alright for linehaul got suck about 10 times in dock gave it back and when in a 88 series tractor that you can acutally shift

no such thing as a good single screw for line haul. i can't figure out the fascination this company has with single screws and 53 foot trailers. makes no sense. we've had guys with just over 20k not be able to get on the ohio turnpike cuz they were over on the (single) drive axle. if they wanna buy singles, start buying pups so we can pull doubles. they seem to really love the 53' trailer tho, so they should buy trucks that are only usefull for half of the operation (p&d).

honestly pups are a thing of the past in the regional industry. The only explanation I can think of is single screws are cheaper!

they are cheaper, but they are worthless for road use. i think it's holland that has a single drive axle then a dummy second axle for weight dist. a twin screw costs more, but you can use it for road and city. 1 piece of equipment, two uses.

no such thing as a good single screw for line haul. i can't figure out the fascination this company has with single screws and 53 foot trailers. makes no sense. we've had guys with just over 20k not be able to get on the ohio turnpike cuz they were over on the (single) drive axle. if they wanna buy singles, start buying pups so we can pull doubles. they seem to really love the 53' trailer tho, so they should buy trucks that are only usefull for half of the operation (p&d).

There are 22 brand new Mack double axle sleepers sitting in the Newburgh terminal that haven't been driven yet. Don't know where they're gonna be used or anything.

When I said the CH Automatic was a good truck, I didn't say that I like automatics. In fact I prefer a 13 speed (which we don't have) over a 10 or a 9 speed. The good features on the CH automatics are 1.) two speed engine brake-the 2nd speed actually slows the truck down-not like the Volvo automatics that have one speed useless engine exhaust brakes. 2.) the Eaton Fuller automatics in the CH still has a clutch to stop and start the truck-enabling you to creep-up to the dock-instead of bouncing off of the dock with the clutch-less automatics.
Regarding the reason for the single-axles in Linehaul is because the Company policy about what kind of power is needed was formulated before they started with the Kaptive-Rail 53 footers in Line Haul. Empty
K99 is 16,720 lbs, empty K98 is 16,500 and empty K97 (mfg. by Wabash) is 16,032 lbs.
Without the rail trailers, it was rare that we were overweight on the drive-axle in a 48 or even 53 foot dry van. Now, it's a regular occurance. The extra axle on the tandem tractor and the higher registered weight costs them quite a bit over the useful life of the unit. In the Eastern terminals, they always have the availability to switch trucks as needed, not so in the West. Hopefully they will realize this fact and switch to all
screws for those meets and turns that are happening now, to alleviate the problem.
I hope they will anyway,:horse:

tell harrisburg they have enough twin screws. i used to do a meet and turn with a harrisburg driver that was assigned a single screw. if i was taking him more than his single axle would handle, i'd call him AND call linehaul and tell them. the solution when we got to the meet point? switch out trucks. pain in the butt.

honestly pups are a thing of the past in the regional industry. The only explanation I can think of is single screws are cheaper!

tell that to the con-ways, fedex freights, upsf, r&l. these are all primarily regional carriers. i think pups are better, more efficent (which is why we don't use them i'm sure). let's say terminal abc is sending one driver to break bulk 123. with two seperate trailers, one trailer can be used for the break bulk freight that needs to be worked to move that night, while the other trailer has 123's city freight comfortably resting in the other trailer in the yard til the inbound operation starts. it makes it easier and faster to get the linehaul freight out of the break bulk. makes sense to me, but i'm just a dumb ole truck driver.

tell harrisburg they have enough twin screws. i used to do a meet and turn with a harrisburg driver that was assigned a single screw. if i was taking him more than his single axle would handle, i'd call him AND call linehaul and tell them. the solution when we got to the meet point? switch out trucks. pain in the butt.

Switch trucks works for that night, then you have a problem the next night when you have to start-out with a heavy load again. You may not get your truck back, because you may not be able to bring the single-axle back to the meet.

Switch trucks works for that night, then you have a problem the next night when you have to start-out with a heavy load again. You may not get your truck back, because you may not be able to bring the single-axle back to the meet.

exactly!! that's what i'd try to explain to linehaul, you can imagine how far that got me.:duh:

ernie and pete in line haul dont care what tractor you use the just want freight moved. and they dont mind throwing anyone down a flight of stairs to do it