FedEx Freight | FONTANA. FEDEX FREIGHT OR SAIA....

I work at SAIA in the FON region. It’s an ok job. The driver facing cameras really killed it. It’s 100% true that you cannot use the CB radio or even be on the phone through handsfree. You will be suspended if caught. Equipment is poorly maintained. Most trailers and dollies are garbage. Drivers don’t report bad equipment and it sits on the ready line.

Being on extrabord at SAIA, you’ll get plenty of miles and drive time but, you also have the chance of being out on the road all Week staying in hotels.

Even though I don’t work at fedex (anyone correct me if I’m wrong) I think the issue a road driver might have coming on in the Fontana region is that they are dense in breakbulks. There are 2 in Mira loma, one in Devore and one in Whittier. You might not be doing a lot of driving for a while. Not saying it’s a bad thing but, it’s the reason why a lot of people didn’t like Conway and would leave.

I personally don’t mind the dock work and actually have an app in for fedex freight. FXF is top dog for a reason and it seems to me most of their drivers are very happy with their jobs and pay
Are you allowed to eat or even drink water while driving?

Cheap plan
Employee only 11
Employee and child 46
Employee and family 99

Expensive plan
Employee 82
Employee and child 177
Employee and family 331

All the numbers I listed are monthly cost. But we pay for insurance every paycheck. It seems to get worse every year usually more expensive and covers less every year. For a company doing as well as we are, we deserve better insurance plain and simple.
oh wow that's even cheaper than i'm payin now thru union. What's the pay progression like out of Fontana

oh wow that's even cheaper than i'm payin now thru union. What's the pay progression like out of Fontana
I think it's 3 yrs to top of scale. You get a raise ever 6 months until you top out.
We don't really have a slow period. We've been steady busy the past few years. I would apply at Mira Loma or San Bernardino if you're going road. They are both hubs so they have more runs.

SBO has been aggressively hiring for road. Their drivers get the kick outs while most shuttle drivers hit the dock or rails. :shrug:

If you're looking for road, apply at SBO or MRL. Both pretty much a stones throw from FTA, but with a lot more opportunities to make money.

Are you allowed to eat or even drink water while driving?
People have mentioned that you can’t but, I’ve had zero problems with eating or drinking while driving. Some TMs are a little stricter than others and I imagine some might force the issue.

I’ve hit bumps on the road that set the camera off while I’m taking a drink of water or snacking on some food and never heard anything about it

OP, if you already applied to Fontana and get a call it would be wise to use that to get in the door. You will easily be able to transfer to a hub down the road. Yes, as a road driver you'll be better off at a hub.

I'd try to get in with the supermarket.

OP, if you already applied to Fontana and get a call it would be wise to use that to get in the door. You will easily be able to transfer to a hub down the road. Yes, as a road driver you'll be better off at a hub.

I'd try to get in with the supermarket.

Yea already took the road and drug test for Fontana. 2 and a half weeks ago now. Hiring manager did say it'd be a process that would take 3-4 weeks and that time is crawling! I'd like to get started already.

Supermarket? Youngs? I have an app in with them now and haven't received a 'thank you but no thank you' email yet... so we'll see. But those drivers have as little home time as UPS guys so im hoping the money/ home life ratio will be better at FXF

I think it's 3 yrs to top of scale. You get a raise ever 6 months until you top out.
We don't really have a slow period. We've been steady busy the past few years. I would apply at Mira Loma or San Bernardino if you're going road. They are both hubs so they have more runs.

It takes 3 years to top out, only get step raise once a year at your anniversary of hire date.

Last edited: