food service business

Discussion in 'General Food Service Discussion' started by Cajuntex, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Cajuntex

Cajuntex Member

Sysco is hiring in Houston. From what I'm reading it just seems like Sysco doesn't give a dam about the drivers. Does the HR department help with driver issues. Does the Union help with the way Sysco runs operations. How can a driver work past 14 hrs. What about days off are drivers allowed to take them. It seems like a sweat shop.

2. Zwilley88

Zwilley88 Active Member

Sysco is tuff and with you being older in age (over 35) I would say it's a little late to make the switch to food. It's a whole lot different than most driving jobs. More than likely not something you want to learn at your age. If not happy at fed ex have you thought about maybe old dominion?

3. Moneyman01

Moneyman01 Proud to be a dad!

I know drivers that have made the switch when in there 40s and do just fine

4. Zwilley88

Zwilley88 Active Member

Not saying it's impossible. I'm sure we all have seen it happen before. What I was saying basically more fail at that transition then those who successfully do it

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Active Member

From my perspective, HR here seems to exist mainly to protect the Company FROM the employees. Here they changed the way we were being paid without negotiating first. Our HR slug sat in the office with our Director of Transportation to make sure he didn't say the wrong things when he was questioned about it (Labor board made them back pay us and change it back). Union involvement: Every local's different, depends. I will say that Sysco is very protective of the way they choose to run their business (loading/routing etc) and would be very surprised if they agree to negotiate that anywhere.
    14 hours. Drivers returning to home terminal each night are allowed to go up to 16hrs once per week. Here they do that with a few routes although there's been discussion over whether or not that's even allowed (16hr day meant for unseen circumstances only?). Drivers here get their days off, without them most would go over on hours.

6. mgarcia16

mgarcia16 member

I worked at Labatt for almost seven years, I liked it, it had its ups and downs like any other place. It was 12 years ago so things have probably changed by now. Their pay is pretty much like everyone else, case, mileage, stops etc. and I think they guarantee like $160 or $170 a day or something like that, not sure anymore. The thing I liked there was that we didn't have that many stops but each stop had a high volume of cases and a lot of schools, those were easy. The only thing is, I myself would not do food service in Houston. Every now and then we would get sent to Houston or Dallas to help them out. One time I got sent to Houston for a couple of days, they always had trouble keeping drivers and it was a total nightmare, traffic was horrible, stops were all over the place, and I was running late all day. I was thrown in there like "here, figure it out". Everyone at my terminal was scared to death to go work there.

MikeJ likes this.
  7. Stan Smith

Stan Smith Moderator

Very hard work in various weather and often long days. This side of the business is all about who you know. Knowing someone changed everything....even your perspective on things. : )