ABF | Forced Overtime in Local 705 Chicago

jimk849

TB Lurker
Credits
ABF 105 at Wheeling Il. North suburbs of Chicago has laid-off 25% of it's drivers and is forcing the city drivers that are left to work up to fourteen hours a day. The union supports this move by the company and has done nothing to put an end to it. I doubt there are even any non-union companies doing this. Any other locals anywhere in America allowing this type of force-out with drivers laid-off?

We are working 14 and 15 hours a day because they will not let our TM hire anyone. We have 4 full time p&d drivers, we are all at 20 plus hours OT a week. last week I worked 63 hours. I like the money but this **** gets old. There are days where I come in to break starting at 3AM and worked until 6 or 7PM. :hide:

What does your contract say?

I thought you 705 guys had the 10 hr. max rule. No forced ot after 10. Thats how it was in 710. Also--has anyone tried using the "I'm too Fatigued" excuse to go home? I know in Chicago they forced one of our drivers out after he said he was fatigued and he promptly crushed 4 parked cars a few minutes out of the gate. They fired him but he got his job back a couple days later with pay I believe. If all else fails--get FMLA and you can leave when you want. Many guys at our terminal have it for "depression and anxiety" or "panic attacks". The company has tried to fight it of course but they lose every time.:biglaugh:

Hollandman we do have a clause that says if the company forces us out past ten hours consistently we can file a grievance, but our local says the DOT says we can work a fourteen hour day and that is what they go bye. I told my steward that I would file a grievance on this if I get forced out too often and he told me to go ahead and it would be a grievance that I would loose. This is all ok with 705. Lay-off and force out, this must be what the company means by flexability. I guess when you bend over you show how flex you can be.

We are working 14 and 15 hours a day because they will not let our TM hire anyone. We have 4 full time p&d drivers, we are all at 20 plus hours OT a week. last week I worked 63 hours. I like the money but this **** gets old. There are days where I come in to break starting at 3AM and worked until 6 or 7PM. :hide:

i hope you do not drive after the 14th hour daily or the 60th hour in 7 day period
if so you are breaking the law or at the very least union standards

ABF 105 at Wheeling Il. North suburbs of Chicago has laid-off 25% of it's drivers and is forcing the city drivers that are left to work up to fourteen hours a day. The union supports this move by the company and has done nothing to put an end to it. I doubt there are even any non-union companies doing this. Any other locals anywhere in America allowing this type of force-out with drivers laid-off?

This is so they do not have to pay into 705's H&W and pension funds for the laid off men on the board. Don't you guys have an option to work your 8 and go home? How many pick-ups are these geniuses missing because of being short handed?

Just shows us all how much testosterone is lacking at the Aurora regional offices.

This is so they do not have to pay into 705's H&W and pension funds for the laid off men on the board. Don't you guys have an option to work your 8 and go home? How many pick-ups are these geniuses missing because of being short handed?

Just shows us all how much testosterone is lacking at the Aurora regional offices.
not paying into funds that need the contributions is one real reason these funds are hardpressed in the first place
they complain about funding pensions for "orphans" but then evade contributions any way they can
they are actually a party to or a cause for their own withdrawal liability ills along with the overall health of those plans
it seems ABF's operation handbook has a motto
DO MORE WITH LESS
problem is we can actually control them by not prescribing to this principle
remember God helps those who helps themselves
in my area the rocket scientists do not lay anyone off
they use cartage and attrition
basically they need arm twisting to hire
so we obliged them with a hanful of good grievances on the subject
result is they settled outside the panel and agreed to place 4 on the list effective immediately plus one union mechanic
proof is in the pudding

in addition in the tentative agreement, article 5 under work opportunity has some good language for you
an OT trigger to bring back men from layoff
should have also had a trigger in the same spirit to hire additional men when no one is laid off and OT gets excessive
maybe in the ABF round of negotiations that can be included

is this the fault of your TM or the corporate office OR the union?

Very very not right to do this on a continual basis, a couple days would be ok though. If your totally unhappy over this situation you could ask to trade with one of the 25% guys though.

Isn't it ironic how this company will say that they want out of the MEPF so that they can protect and take care of their employees pension and yet they will purposely lay men off just to avoid paying the Health and Welfare contribution on these employees? This causes these employees to have no insurance coverage for their families or theirselves just to save a few dollars for the company. That's who I want looking after my pension (NOT!):nutkick:

Isn't it ironic how this company will say that they want out of the MEPF so that they can protect and take care of their employees pension and yet they will purposely lay men off just to avoid paying the Health and Welfare contribution on these employees? This causes these employees to have no insurance coverage for their families or theirselves just to save a few dollars for the company. That's who I want looking after my pension (NOT!):nutkick:

ditto on that brother

is this the fault of your TM or the corporate office OR the union?

Very very not right to do this on a continual basis, a couple days would be ok though. If your totally unhappy over this situation you could ask to trade with one of the 25% guys though.

are you being sarcastic or are you just stupid?:smilie_132:

You guys will hide around the corner to get 12 hours but cry when forced to work 14....help me understand !! Hows a 40 hour work week sound ?

who's hiding jerkweed
just taking my lunch and LEGAL breaks
if you want to be a kiss *** be my guest but if i was in your terminal and you broke down union standards i would not hesitate to bring you up on charges

You guys will hide around the corner to get 12 hours but cry when forced to work 14....help me understand !! Hows a 40 hour work week sound ?

in addition to my previous post when the ot is rammed down your throat and they layoff union brothers and expect you to be glad about it , you cannot justify your thinking

i just hope you become one of those overtime layoff casualties and see how it feels when your coworkers are gobbling up the work that is rightfully yours:butt kiss::chairshot::smilie_132::nutkick:

If you were laid off like our bottom 10 city/dock employees were, a 40 hour week would sound great right now. The hiding might happen where you are at, but I assure you it does not happen here at 004. So next time do a little research before you shoot your mouth off about how my fellow employees are cheating the company !!!

we obliged them with a hanful of good grievances on the subject
result is they settled outside the panel and agreed to place 4 on the list effective immediately plus one union mechanic
proof is in the pudding

This is the only way they listen to reason....good job.:1036316054:

I thought you guys had a maximum mandatory 10 hours, or is it you can go home after 10 hours. I gotta get a copy of the latest 705 contract. The latest I got has Louis P****'s name on it.

No Last Names Please

Here is an idea for you. Screw ABF and get your guys permanent jobs. I talked to a 705 kid that got laid off and got a better job for another company, and when ABF called him back he told um to shove off.