Fordhook Lima Beans

SuperCourse

It's About The Borders - Idiot
Credits
Well, this was a good week for me. For months I had been searching for a source of one of my favorite frozen foods, the much disrespected Fordhook Lima Bean (not to be confused with baby lima beans, two different things). They are a highly nutritious heart healthy food. Seems nobody in my region carries them anymore. I searched online to no avail. Finally, I called a small local market and asked if they carried them, they checked and said no. So I asked if they could order in a case for me and they said sure, no problem.

In case you haven't noticed, product selection in general has deteriorated in recent years. Once upon a time the US was an amazing feast of selection in all kinds of retail products, sadly that is no longer the case. The rise of huge retail concerns like Amazon and Walmart has greatly reduced the diversity of options. Things have become very bland.

Long live the Fordhook Lima Bean!

fordhook.jpg

Wow! A thread on Lima beans. This just elevated the LAST thread a few notches....:17142:
Just kidding, SC.

I completely agree with you. I find it more difficult to find things today than I did ten years ago. I find it so frustrating that sometimes I yell out to my wife and ask her what year we are in because I can't believe it's 2017 and I can't find ::shit:: on the web. Whereas back in the dial-up tone of the late 90's and early aughts, it was fun and exciting to find things on the Internet.
And this newer business philosophy of buying huge bulk amounts of only certain items to save money, although does save consumers money,, really hurts our choices as consumers.
But maybe lack of choices will spur on new entrepreneurs to do a new way of business....

Wow! A thread on Lima beans. This just elevated the LAST thread a few notches....:17142:
Just kidding, SC.

I completely agree with you. I find it more difficult to find things today than I did ten years ago. I find it so frustrating that sometimes I yell out to my wife and ask her what year we are in because I can't believe it's 2017 and I can't find :::shit::: on the web. Whereas back in the dial-up tone of the late 90's and early aughts, it was fun and exciting to find things on the Internet.
And this newer business philosophy of buying huge bulk amounts of only certain items to save money, although does save consumers money,, really hurts our choices as consumers.
But maybe lack of choices will spur on new entrepreneurs to do a new way of business....

Then it's not just me......thanks. I'll give you another one that's disappearing for some reason, Hunt's Ketchup. None of the grocery stores up here have it anymore. The only place I can get it is Big Lots. Can't get Mr Goodbar candy bars anymore. Can't get Diamond Walnuts in the shell. It goes on and on. Can't get potatoes that aren't half rotten, or onions.

Well, this was a good week for me. For months I had been searching for a source of one of my favorite frozen foods, the much disrespected Fordhook Lima Bean (not to be confused with baby lima beans, two different things). They are a highly nutritious heart healthy food. Seems nobody in my region carries them anymore. I searched online to no avail. Finally, I called a small local market and asked if they carried them, they checked and said no. So I asked if they could order in a case for me and they said sure, no problem.

In case you haven't noticed, product selection in general has deteriorated in recent years. Once upon a time the US was an amazing feast of selection in all kinds of retail products, sadly that is no longer the case. The rise of huge retail concerns like Amazon and Walmart has greatly reduced the diversity of options. Things have become very bland.

Long live the Fordhook Lima Bean!

fordhook.jpg
What do you, live in Moosetits, ME or something? And what's wrong with baby limas?

What do you, live in Moosetits, ME or something? And what's wrong with baby limas?

It's not just a Maine thing, Fordhooks are disappearing. Walmart used to carry Pictsweet brand Fordhooks, but no more. Amazon doesn't have them either. Had my dad check the stores by him in RI, none there either. Baby limas are a different bean, they're not just a picked early Fordhook. The taste and texture are different. They're OK, but Fordhooks are sublime if cooked until tender. I have to have them to make my famous Bacon-Taters-And Lima Beans dish.

It's not just a Maine thing, Fordhooks are disappearing. Walmart used to carry Pictsweet brand Fordhooks, but no more. Amazon doesn't have them either. Had my dad check the stores by him in RI, none there either. Baby limas are a different bean, they're not just a picked early Fordhook. The taste and texture are different. They're OK, but Fordhooks are sublime if cooked until tender. I have to have them to make my famous Bacon-Taters-And Lima Beans dish.
I C, I guess you'll just have to grow your own soon!

Just kidding, SC.

I completely agree with you. I find it more difficult to find things today than I did ten years ago. I find it so frustrating that sometimes I yell out to my wife and ask her what year we are in because I can't believe it's 2017 and I can't find :::shit::: on the web. Whereas back in the dial-up tone of the late 90's and early aughts, it was fun and exciting to find things on the Internet.
I have been everywhere here in the Midwest trying to buy a hat like yours,and when I show the retailer your picture, they tell me the only place you might get one that size is at a tent and awning supply company....

They help produce high octane gas in the digestive system which is good for the colon.

You can still buy'em or pick your own.

Here in the hills we have a plant called Poke that grows wild. During the depression about everything edible was consumed. Poke leaves like fiddleheads must be picked when the plant first comes out of the ground. As the plant matures it puts on red berries. The juice was used by young people for face paint & even used in painting on paper. Probably many older artists from the depression used poke juice early in their life. If you remember Tony Joe White's song "Poke Salet Annie" you may have already heard about poke salet. Poke salet cooked with a little pork skin goes well with beans & cornbread. People around here lived on about everything imaginable during the depression. I spelled it right it is poke salet not polk salad as the music sites like utube spells it.