Averitt | Forklift Accident Kills Worker in N. Houston

Very sad. Every time I walk across one of our docks I fear for my life. These guys running those things up and down at high rates of speed. You have to wonder...

I personally have no business on the dock, the very few times I have had to speak with a supervisor I walk directly to the desk away from traffic lanes and always on guard and aware of what is happening in all directions around me.

I heard he stuck his body thru the front of the forklift where the opening ls above the steering wheel and the forks came down or up and crushed him. I heard something like that. Was lookin at somethin on pallet and clothing or something hit controls while leaning forward and the mast crushed him.

Tragic.

If what Freight Maniac heard is true, it wouldn't be the first time. It's only a matter of time before OSHA requires a Lexan windshield or wire mesh panel between the A-pillars to prevent such an accident. Better yet, require one of those sensors that turn off air bags in passenger cars if the person in the front seat doesn't weigh enough to render all controls inoperable if their isn't a butt in the seat.

The young man was caught under the mask. I don't know the specifics but he'd somehow done it accidentally with no one around. He was there for quite some time before his father, also employed there, found him. It's clearly an accident and an extremely tragic one. Lets please be gentle with the comments.

Prayers going out to his family. They need them.

Had their been a windshield though it wouldn't have happened.

I have seen forklifts with plastic windshields and wondered what they were for...now I know.

The young man was caught under the mask. I don't know the specifics but he'd somehow done it accidentally with no one around. He was there for quite some time before his father, also employed there, found him. It's clearly an accident and an extremely tragic one. Lets please be gentle with the comments.

The father being there and finding him makes a bad thing even worse. My brother-in-law witnessed a truck accident that crushed and killed his 20 yr old son about 40 yrs ago. He was never the same after that. I saw what it did to a man. I feel for this father. Nobdy knows the pain he's going through. Support him, but give him space,too.

Very sad. Every time I walk across one of our docks I fear for my life. These guys running those things up and down at high rates of speed. You have to wonder...
What were flipping burgers yesterday are driving forklifts today. Like you, I tread VERY carefully when I walk on one of these docks. I trust none of them.

Where in the world do these wild rumors get started?

His father did NOT find him, a fellow dockworker found him. His father IS a supervisor on the HOU dock but on a different shift. This 19 year old man's head was caught IN between the two horizontal bars on the mast (not mask). When he leaned over to read a label on a skid, his right leg caught the lever and the mast came down. It crushed his skull and no doubt killed him instantly. He was in the nose of a trailer, others had ridden by but looked in the trailer and thought nothing of seeing the man there. Looked like he was reading a bill or messing with his phone or whatever. From a qiuick glance, nobody could tell.

OSHA has been on site and now all of the forklift riders have been wearing seat belts. Yes that will keep you from leaning forward but a steel rebar screen across the front would be superior to the seatbelts. Seatbelt fastening is clearly a time consuming futiole effort. A Lexan screen would be rendered opaque in a short amount of time due to the dust and would be a bad idea.

Yes, the same thing happened in MFS several years ago.

I heard he stuck his body thru the front of the forklift where the opening ls above the steering wheel and the forks came down or up and crushed him. I heard something like that. Was lookin at somethin on pallet and clothing or something hit controls while leaning forward and the mast crushed him.

You are correct.

Where in the world do these wild rumors get started?

His father did NOT find him, a fellow dockworker found him. His father IS a supervisor on the HOU dock but on a different shift. This 19 year old man's head was caught IN between the two horizontal bars on the mast (not mask). When he leaned over to read a label on a skid, his right leg caught the lever and the mast came down. It crushed his skull and no doubt killed him instantly. He was in the nose of a trailer, others had ridden by but looked in the trailer and thought nothing of seeing the man there. Looked like he was reading a bill or messing with his phone or whatever. From a qiuick glance, nobody could tell.

OSHA has been on site and now all of the forklift riders have been wearing seat belts. Yes that will keep you from leaning forward but a steel rebar screen across the front would be superior to the seatbelts. Seatbelt fastening is clearly a time consuming futiole effort. A Lexan screen would be rendered opaque in a short amount of time due to the dust and would be a bad idea.

Yes, the same thing happened in MFS several years ago.

The way we understood it that morning in safety is the way I posted it. Once we hear the initial information we leave it up to one person, the one working it, and we leave it at that because it's a large building and rumors are easily started. I apologize that I was posting incorrect information but what we were told is he had been there for four hours, after his shift had ended and his fathers had begun and it was his father that found him. I'm thankful it wasn't but it doesn't ease the horror that it happened at all. I appreciate your corrections, I wasn't trying to start a rumor just to cease the "why did it tip over" sorts of things.

It was not several years that this happen in Memphis, just two and everyone was made to wear their seatbelts. There was another fatal accident years ago with a forklift, maybe 15 years back in Memphis. Maybe all of our lifts should have a windshield or wire mesh in the mast. Two deaths in a little over two years for the same mistake.