Averitt | Forklift Accident Kills Worker in N. Houston

The way we understood it that morning in safety is the way I posted it.
It saddens me that this was what was heard, and spread, in our corp. office. But then again nothing surprises me.

It is indeed a tragedy; one that has haunted me and been on my mind since I learned of it.

Very true Lifer about being run down while walking down the dock being a possibility. I was answering this guys question "Please explain how a fork lift can tip over and crush someone when sitting still !!!!"

It was not several years that this happen in Memphis, just two and everyone was made to wear their seat belts.
Are they still wearing the seat belts? Seat belts CAN prevent what happened from happening but it is not fool proof. Put a welded wire mesh screen as seen below. This will prevent heads and arms from going through that area. Is it expensive to retrofit the numerous lifts at AE? You bet. But when jumping off and on a forklift it is time consuming to buckle a belt.

If this has happened at AE twice, think of the other companies that this identical thing has happened. Then think of all the fingers and arms. This is a fix that is badly needed.

1280278790463_hz-myalibaba-temp11_561.jpg

I just went back and read the report that was posted on the TV news sight. Unbelievable!!! "police say a man working a forklift at Averitt Express on JFK somehow lost control and was crushed under the vehicle."

This simply is inaccurate all the way around and is a perfect example of inaccuracies from the media framing peoples thinking and opinions.

And here is yet another story, filed and printed, by yet a different news source and it is inaccurate as well. Officials investigating fatal forklift accident | khou.com Houston

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another take... how about we don't put ourselves in a position to get hurt. We can only be proctected from our own actions so much. There comes a time where common sense should kick in. It's sad that this fellow didn't use it. But it is a grim reminder to everyone that we need to stay sharp and not get complacent.

Guardrail

Here's another take... how about we don't put ourselves in a position to get hurt. We can only be proctected from our own actions so much. There comes a time where common sense should kick in. It's sad that this fellow didn't use it. But it is a grim reminder to everyone that we need to stay sharp and not get complacent.

Guardrail
How correct you are sir.

Both of my sons worked the dock during the summers when they were in college. I think they grew tired of the warnings that I would give them on safety on that dock. After hearing this I am glad I was so persistent. My deepest sympathies goes out to this young mans family.

i remember this happend years ago at con-way then we put the wire mesh up. the new lifts wont do **** if you are not in the seat.

we had this happen at motor cargo few years back the same thing in the trailer trying to read a lable pretty sad

It's sad to hear of this happening...Lifers idea of the wire mesh is a GREAT ONE! The dock people at All serctrs are under a large amount of pressure during the early morning Shuttle strips/P&D loading and the late afternoon early evening P&D strips/Shuttle loading. At the LARGE serctrs you are taking your life into your hands walking on the dock, the dock hands are BLASTING their way up and down the docks, not to mention going into and out of trls. If CORPERATE would sneak into a serctr wearing AVRT WORK CLOTHES,looking like a driver and say nothing, just watch they would see the potential for serious injury to anyone. GS would have heart failure seeing the way HIS equipment is being used, he would also see why the inside of HIS trls look like a war has been fought inside!
We don't EVEN want to get into the YARD JOCKEYS....SHeeesh!

It's sad to hear of this happening...Lifers idea of the wire mesh is a GREAT ONE! The dock people at All serctrs are under a large amount of pressure during the early morning Shuttle strips/P&D loading and the late afternoon early evening P&D strips/Shuttle loading. At the LARGE serctrs you are taking your life into your hands walking on the dock, the dock hands are BLASTING their way up and down the docks, not to mention going into and out of trls. If CORPERATE would sneak into a serctr wearing AVRT WORK CLOTHES,looking like a driver and say nothing, just watch they would see the potential for serious injury to anyone. GS would have heart failure seeing the way HIS equipment is being used, he would also see why the inside of HIS trls look like a war has been fought inside!
We don't EVEN want to get into the YARD JOCKEYS....SHeeesh!
Management opinion : Dock apes, drivers (road, city and yard jockeys) and mechanics are all expendable. There's lots more where they came from !!!! MONEY is the only thing that matters.

Management opinion : Dock apes, drivers (road, city and yard jockeys) and mechanics are all expendable. There's lots more where they came from !!!! MONEY is the only thing that matters.
I really doubt that CKV thinks that way, do you work for AVRT? I don't recall seeing you here at the AVRT site!

Jeepman, I have to agree with you. Averitt will tell you to search for greener pastures if we feel the need to, but safety is paramount and of utmost importance. But you can't watch everyone all the time.

As long as people are timed on performance, told they've taken too long to break a trailer or told to hurry, short cuts and risk will be taken. One of the biggest pieces of advice given to me by a veteran city driver is to not push yourself, that no freight is worth grabbing gears, taking risk in traffic, backing, getting in and out of the truck/trailer.
You will see forklift drivers standing off to the side of the forklift trying to watch as they push 7-8 skids down the dock at once, there needs to be walkways built up in the air across the docks, walk ways with mandatory stopping or something as we have to walk directly across the docks multiple times a day watching as they drive wide open, the docks are definitely not where the pedestrian has the right of way.

If you are anything short of a combo employee, you have a target on your back. They want to rid themselves of the underpaid (in their min the highly overpaid shuttle and city driver) and fill the void with even further underpaid (Combo). It's glaringly obvious.

I really doubt that CKV thinks that way, do you work for AVRT? I don't recall seeing you here at the AVRT site!
WHether he works here or not, he has a crystal clear picture of the management wannabes view of their employees (associates? hahahahahahaha). More like numbers.