SAIA | Form 10-K for SAIA INC

Thanks for the post River. I read a couple of things about what a "goodwill impairment charge" is, but it never really clicked for me...

Thanks for the post River. I read a couple of things about what a "goodwill impairment charge" is, but it never really clicked for me...

DemolitionMan :smilie_132:

I also posted this link to the SAIA 10K in the FedEx Freight forum under:
http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...e-trucking-companies-also-had-big-bounce.html

As far as the "goodwill impairment charges" you can thank this FAS accounting also known as "Mark to Market" that has got the banks like Citigroup and Bank of America and the other financial institutions stocks look like penny stocks.
Since SAIA stock came down in value they had to take these goodwill charges to reflect the lower value.

Impairment Charges: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

impairment charge

Definition

A specific reduction on a company's balance sheet that adjusts the value of a company's goodwill. Due to accounting rules, a company must monitor and test the value of its goodwill, to determine if it is overvalued. If it is, the company must issue an impairment charge on its balance sheet, to take into account the reduced value of the goodwill.

impairment charge Definition

:popcorn: