former preston drivers

Hey Gabbydad,

empty your message box.
Tried to send you a PM and I
have to wait till you remove some dead wood.
Let me know when it's got some room.

I worked at the York terminal (new breakbulk at the time) as a casual for 2 years on w/e's (while at CF) what I thought was cool was they had 151 doors

Bill or Steve??
I was in sales till the shut down. Working in Jersey City, TM at Long Island, and National Accounts based in Philly.

Can you believe it's 9 years in July?? We were awesome right till the end when Yellow pulled the strings.

You know, they only bought us just to get Saia. They had intentions on shedding the Union just like Roadwy and CF did...

Look at how much they sunk into them at the time while leaving us to wallow.

Yellow did a bang up job with Jevic also, not asking the fromer owner to sign a non- compete. My disdain for Yellow is high. Not the employees, but what the brand stands for: company killer.

Just before CF went out they were bragging that we were the first LTL Freight company to have Anti-Collision Rader on some of the new trucks coming out.
I remember Preston Having trucks with the Radar on them back in the 70's or 80's.

Hey, is it true that Preston once had a terminal in White Plains, NY. I had someone tell me that once and I could have swore I saw it on a terminal list at one time. Does anyone know if it's true?

Billy,
thanks for the response. The name isn't ringing a bell.

Elmsford/White Plains merged with Brooklyn/121 around 92 or 93.

Worked at Kalamazoo Mi from '82/'90. Got transfered to Grand Rapids in '90/'92. Reopened kalamazoo in '92 and transfered back. Worked there until '94 when Yellow bought Preston and combined the Kalamazoo and Jackson Michigan terminal in Marshall Michigan. Took the volintary lay-off in '97 when Yellow had the bright idea to close the Marshall barn and sent us back to Grand Rapids. I was number 2 on the board at the time but had a gut full of the BS. Had a total of 15 years with Preston and loved my job until they started playing musical terminals in '90. Got on with Holland in Kalamazoo and finished out my trucking career. I still think about Preston alot and miss the guys and ladies of the 151 line. I'm retired now and loving it and wish all the former Preston people all the luck in the world.

Nah you wouldn't

I sold in Jersey City from 95, TM in West Babylon just for 97 and finished out in Philly as National accounts.

It was worth the shot. About the only guys I remember from JC was Big Carl, the steward and Rich, who was the shuttle dispatcher. But I beleive Rich left before you got there.

The guys from 121, are still a tight group. There are about 8 of us working at Roadway (bklyn), 4 or 5 at Yellow, a couple at New Penn and 1 at ABF. We get together at least once per year for breakfast and we're now shooting for a dinner get together as well. We usually get about 25 or more as a turn out, with a couple of guys from our new jobs.
Now that we have a place to post again, whenever an event is planned, I will be sure to post it here.

Are there any Columbus Ohio, or Richfield drivers that come here? Columbus was 227. Tommy Bowe drove out of jersey city didn't he?

Worked at Kalamazoo Mi from '82/'90. Got transfered to Grand Rapids in '90/'92. Reopened kalamazoo in '92 and transfered back. Worked there until '94 when Yellow bought Preston and combined the Kalamazoo and Jackson Michigan terminal in Marshall Michigan. Took the volintary lay-off in '97 when Yellow had the bright idea to close the Marshall barn and sent us back to Grand Rapids. I was number 2 on the board at the time but had a gut full of the BS. Had a total of 15 years with Preston and loved my job until they started playing musical terminals in '90. Got on with Holland in Kalamazoo and finished out my trucking career. I still think about Preston alot and miss the guys and ladies of the 151 line. I'm retired now and loving it and wish all the former Preston people all the luck in the world.

I also noticed that a lot of terminals would seem to come and go. Did West Middlesex close once Cleveland and Akron/Canton were combined in Richfield? Also, did the same happen with York and Harrisburg. I remember someone saying that Harrisburg was pretty large operation, as was York. Then, it seemed as if Harrisburg pretty much disappeared.

Just before CF went out they were bragging that we were the first LTL Freight company to have Anti-Collision Radar on some of the new trucks coming out.
I remember Preston Having trucks with the Radar on them back in the 70's or 80's.

ya mean like this?
DSC00367.jpg

Preston Drivers

There's a few of us lingering around here somewhere.
We used to have our own thread under "Gone but not forgotten"...unfortunately that thread appears to be gone and forgotten.

from Richfeild there are a lot of us at Holland and I know some are at ABF the ones I know are at Cleveland Akron and a few transfered to the new Terminal in Y Town