XPO | FOS

Bloodwidow

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm putting this out there. This morning I had a situation with me P/D run. I was placard Famm 3 and was supposed to also have a skid of occidizer to. When I told inbound fos he said he wished to computer made note of these cant be a on same trailer. My question to the board is should've the FOS have know of the major no nos like no class3 with class5.1 or oxygen, or poison with food?

I'm putting this out there. This morning I had a situation with me P/D run. I was placard Famm 3 and was supposed to also have a skid of occidizer to. When I told inbound fos he said he wished to computer made note of these cant be a on same trailer. My question to the board is should've the FOS have know of the major no nos like no class3 with class5.1 or oxygen, or poison with food?

Your I/b super should know how to properly placard your load...it's his/her job. If he/she doesn't, the hand held should catch any HM shipments that can't be loaded together. We have a HM wiz at our barn who gets things right. Ask around in your office or w/ other Drivers. Somebody will know to tell you how to correctly placard your load before you hit the street. Also, make sure that your hm freight is blocked, braced, and strapped up. It's easy money for the DOT when they pull you over for a roadside inspection and your h/m is loose and not secured or your trailer is not placarded right..

Your I/b super should know how to properly placard your load...it's his/her job. If he/she doesn't, the hand held should catch any HM shipments that can't be loaded together. We have a HM wiz at our barn who gets things right. Ask around in your office or w/ other Drivers. Somebody will know to tell you how to correctly placard your load before you hit the street. Also, make sure that your hm freight is blocked, braced, and strapped up. It's easy money for the DOT when they pull you over for a roadside inspection and your h/m is loose and not secured or your trailer is not placarded right..
What I'm asking is if FOS should know what hazmat can't go together. I caught that class 3 and class 5.1 can't go together. I asked this because I know handheld has glitch with hazmat. I think inbound should know the big no nos.

These FOS now a days don't stick around long enough to learn the ropes. If the data entry people in Malaysia or where ever they send the bills don't enter it correct, it will stay the way it was entered. Seen hazmat come out off breakers not billed and it rode out on the street, should have had placards. At the end, you will pay the ticket and get the write up.

What I'm asking is if FOS should know what hazmat can't go together. I caught that class 3 and class 5.1 can't go together. I asked this because I know handheld has glitch with hazmat. I think inbound should know the big no nos.

I would say yes and no. I would even have to look that up. That's why the make cheat sheets and poster which should be hung on the dock. With all the hazmat stuff with what can and can't be hauled together or the segeration of the hazmat it just to much to remember. Its better to play it safe and ask and have it checked into. Never trust that handheld because the handheld can not be used as a defense when fighting a ticket but office DOT stuff can.
To answer you guestion those 2 can be loaded on the same trailer class 3 and 5.1as long as they are separate the in case of a leak under normal conditions commingling of the harm at does not occur.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/177.848

I would say yes and no. I would even have to look that up. That's why the make cheat sheets and poster which should be hung on the dock. With all the hazmat stuff with what can and can't be hauled together or the segeration of the hazmat it just to much to remember. Its better to play it safe and ask and have it checked into. Never trust that handheld because the handheld can not be used as a defense when fighting a ticket but office DOT stuff can.
To answer you guestion those 2 can be loaded on the same trailer class 3 and 5.1as long as they are separate the in case of a leak under normal conditions commingling of the harm at does not occur.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/177.848
. FOS was questioning if they could so check hazmat chart and they can't. Class 3 and oxidizer, can't remember class number.

These FOS now a days don't stick around long enough to learn the ropes. If the data entry people in Malaysia or where ever they send the bills don't enter it correct, it will stay the way it was entered. Seen hazmat come out off breakers not billed and it rode out on the street, should have had placards. At the end, you will pay the ticket and get the write up.
This FOS has been at my barn for years.

This FOS has been at my barn for years.

Then it is outright pure laziness and indifference. Just like a grey telling you you can pull a 24,000 pound lead and a 22,000 pound kite. In the end, you bite the bullet, even though we are not to load a safe stack trailer past 22,500 and haul a safe stack set pass, what was it like 42,800 gross (may be off on that number there). I know I never even get close to that number, yet I see junior drivers do it all the time. You tell them what the deal is, and they look at you like you are crazy. It is C.Y.A. All day everyday.

. FOS was questioning if they could so check hazmat chart and they can't. Class 3 and oxidizer, can't remember class number.
Do you know what you were hauling because in your last few post you changed you story. Here you say you can remember the class number. BTW oxidizer is 5.1

but here you say it is 5.1

With that said I will say again you can haul class 3 and 5.1 on the same trailer. On the Hazmat segregation chart I will provide a link to you will see that that box is yellow with a O in it NOT a red X. The yellow O means and I quoting for the book " The letter “O” in the table indicates that these materials may not be loaded, transported, or stored together in the same transport vehicle or storage facility during the course of transportation unless separated in a manner that, in the event of leakage from packages under conditions normally incident to transportation, commingling of hazardous materials would not occur. Notwithstanding the methods of separation employed, Class 8 (corrosive) liquids may not be loaded above or adjacent to Class 4 (flammable) or Class 5 (oxidizing) materials; except that shippers may load truckload shipments of such materials together when it is known that the mixture of contents would not cause a fire or a dangerous evolution of heat or gas.
Source: 49 CFR §177.848 (e)(3).
Basically separated by space and on a pallet.

My question to the board is should've the FOS have know of the major no nos like no class3 with class5.1 or oxygen, or poison with food?
For one if the driver pickup up the freight does not enter the hazmat correctly or the food indicator is not selected in the handheld the system will not pick up the poison with food. As for the oxygen not sure what you are talking about there, but oxygen can be transported with both those class 3 and class 5.1 in fact you can load them all on the same trailer as long as the class 3 and class 5.1 are segregated.

Here is the chart
http://www.hazmattool.com/download/HazMatSegregationChart49_CFR_177_848.png

Remember this the I/b super and dockworks should know but it is you responsible as a driver to make sure it is correctly loaded, secured, and placard

Remember this the I/b super and dockworks should know but it is you responsible as a driver to make sure it is correctly loaded, secured, and placard
You are correct on keeping them separated in the trailer to prevent commingling in case of a leak. Not sure about you guys,but we have a large customer where I am that ships large shipments of oxidizers, and will not load them on your trailer if you have any class 3 on it already. I personally will not do it because 5.1 will actually intensify a fire in the event of a crash and fire. Our dispatch is pretty good about it too, as long as you tell them the situation. I think it best to carry a prohibitive loading guide with you at all times helps. I know it is not likely that 2 different shipments would both leak on the same load, but when you see the end result of a fire from this, I am surprised they even take a chance just by saying separate them in the trailer.

You are correct on keeping them separated in the trailer to prevent commingling in case of a leak. Not sure about you guys,but we have a large customer where I am that ships large shipments of oxidizers, and will not load them on your trailer if you have any class 3 on it already. I personally will not do it because 5.1 will actually intensify a fire in the event of a crash and fire. Our dispatch is pretty good about it too, as long as you tell them the situation. I think it best to carry a prohibitive loading guide with you at all times helps. I know it is not likely that 2 different shipments would both leak on the same load, but when you see the end result of a fire from this, I am surprised they even take a chance just by saying separate them in the trailer.
Great idea, nice that dispatch allows you to do it like that. Safety first driver!