Holland | Four questions about Holland.....

Motobecane

TB Lurker
Credits
1. Is there a difference between a "City Driver" and a "P&D Driver?"

2. Do all City/P&D drivers get hired into a bid, or are some on a call board? If into a bid, are the start times roughly the same each day?

3. Can the bottom guy expect to get at least 55 hours per week?

4. Is there a probationary wage or does a driver enter in at full rate?

(1) same (2) nites for many years (3) 60 plus hrs week (4) full rate -15% in 30days (5) but no pension (6) shop around as everybody is screaming for driver's !!

Thanks, Wong. I'm looking for any reason(s) to chose YRC or Holland over the other. They seem pretty much the same. Same pay, same insurance, same quantity of hours. Maybe more driving than dock at YRC? I can't tell. Both have start times around 11:00 a.m. Maybe a coin toss IS the most logical thing to do.

Thanks, Wong. I'm looking for any reason(s) to chose YRC or Holland over the other. They seem pretty much the same. Same pay, same insurance, same quantity of hours. Maybe more driving than dock at YRC? I can't tell. Both have start times around 11:00 a.m. Maybe a coin toss IS the most logical thing to do.
Good Luck , but seriously shop around and look at the big picture of where you will be in 10 or 15 years with what every company you choose .

What Wong said. There was a time in the past that Holland was THE LTL carrier. That time has long since past.
Not that it matters, but how much experience do you have? The real truck lines (OD, XPO, FEDEX, to name a few) won't tolerate
too many accidents, whereas nowadays, Holland pretty much does. Smash freight, go up and down the dock 100 miles an hour, anything goes. Except for absenteeism. They have walked a few out for that.

The type of freight is better on your body at Holland than nons. More pallets; less hand freight

(1) same (2) nites for many years (3) 60 plus hrs week (4) full rate -15% in 30days (5) but no pension (6) shop around as everybody is screaming for driver's !!

My partner chose #6!!!
Jd1lkP5.jpg

You could shop around. But our work rules beat any thing you will ever find just my 2 cents
Work rules are only as good as the Teamsters ability or effort to enforce them. Emphasis on the Teamster effort.
That's the problem at Holland. No brotherhood, no effort, no ability.
Slam dunk grievences lost or settled, other grievences misplaced or forgotten about. Apathy from the BA to the Union Steward, not to mention fellow Teamsters who will never file grievences because they fear retaliation. We won't even get into the special breed of animal at Holland that has convinced themselves that they are special and central dispatch likes them.
I'm talking about Holland not YRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Is there a difference between a "City Driver" and a "P&D Driver?"

2. Do all City/P&D drivers get hired into a bid, or are some on a call board? If into a bid, are the start times roughly the same each day?

3. Can the bottom guy expect to get at least 55 hours per week?

4. Is there a probationary wage or does a driver enter in at full rate?

Some of the terminals are starting at full rate without the -15 percent, especially in the north!

The type of freight is better on your body at Holland than nons. More pallets; less hand freight
So where is it you see nons,picking up more hand freight than Holland? Hardly see any loose freight anymore unless it’s long...

The freight does start out from the customer on a pallet that's true.
Yes than we tip the skid over.
Then we stack it poorly and run orange shrink wrap around it.
Then it gets tipped over again.
Then we throw everything in a gaylord.
Then we stick the forks through the gaylord loading it.
Then we ship it to the wrong terminal.
Then the customer gets their freight a day late and damaged.
Remember "were not happy till your not happy"
Repeat!

Work rules are only as good as the Teamsters ability or effort to enforce them. Emphasis on the Teamster effort.
That's the problem at Holland. No brotherhood, no effort, no ability.
Slam dunk grievences lost or settled, other grievences misplaced or forgotten about. Apathy from the BA to the Union Steward, not to mention fellow Teamsters who will never file grievences because they fear retaliation. We won't even get into the special breed of animal at Holland that has convinced themselves that they are special and central dispatch likes them.
I'm talking about Holland not YRC.
Point exactly only a select few will file so the company will pay them to keep rebel guys quite due too so much they get away with from the majority.