"Free Trade" is a lie that won't go away

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slavenomore, May 18, 2014.

1. slavenomore

slavenomore US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions

“Free Trade” Is a Lie That Won’t Go Away | Economy In Crisis

" Why the lack of attention to this issue? There has actually been a great deal of attention, despite persistent “free trade” mantras. In the 1980′s there was tremendous concern among Reagan administration officials that the U.S. was losing its competitive position in the world. Reagan enacted numerous protectionist policies in an effort to stem the hemorrhaging trade deficit. Media attention was centered on a doomsday scenario whereby Japanese and Arab interests would come to own and control everything in this country. Now, a frightening amount of formerly American companies are in the hands of foreign interests.

Seventy percent of the American population sees “free trade” as harmful to the economy. Given all this insurmountable evidence to the contrary, why is it that “free” traders continue to sell out the country at the expense of national security and our future generations? The answer is that every person, corporation, and politician tends to do what is in its own short-term best interest, be they motivated by pure profit or reelection.

Countries like Japan, Germany and China take great pride in protecting their industries from foreign purchasers. They have government agencies devoted entirely to doing just that. In the U.S., we seemingly do everything to encourage foreign takeovers. Of course, no politician likes being the bearer of bad news. Most are not willing to risk their political careers by saying we must take drastic action to the short-term detriment of many Americans, even though that is precisely what they are charged with doing."

So what have you Reagan idolizers got to say for yourselves?

Why do you not hold your so-called Reagan following conservative politicians accountable and have them act on this stuff.
    The TPP is in the works and needs stopping now.
    Does Asia really need any more of our jobs?

Sad to say but Elizabeth Warren is the only politician I've seen publiclly speak against it.
    She must be more like Reagan than any "conservatives" or libertarians in office.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  2. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

Reagan has not been in office for almost 30 years, might be time to let him go

Barry wants the TPP, and he will get if. If congress does not go along remember he has a "phone and a pen"

3. slavenomore

The right wing radio guys bring him up all the time.
    But I never hear them say any of this stuff.

He's the closest thing to God that the GOP uses.
    He's their big seller.

But they won't mention protectionism.
    Corporate sponsors suppress it and it's wrong.

4. Bubba74

Thank is because most people remember him and the good things he did for this nation after Carter.
    People that actually study conservativism, free markets and capitalism should have a real fond recollect of Calvin Coolidge

You can't refute the fact that Reagan did a lot of good for this nation

5. slavenomore

Oh I can refute it.
    But will not at this time.
    I think he wrecked it.

6. Bubba74

Saying I can do something then not doing it is suspicious.

I'll start:

massive tax cuts that got the economy rolling again after Carter left us with 21% interest rates.
    Re-establishing of superpower status around the world after the politicians lost us Vietnam and could not protect our embassy in Tehran. (another lovely gift from the left, lets dispose a friendly leader in the Shah and replace him with the Allytollias- smooth move Carter. Ghaddafi wasnt our buddy, but he was not a threat after all Reagan smacked him down, and GWB got him to turn over his WMDs)
    Rebuilt the military to the fnest fighting force on the planet ( once again after the post Vietnam politician and Carter decimated it)
    I know the deficits (see above the military is expensive)
    Defeated the Soviet Union without firing a shot (freedom for hundreds of millions of people)
    Lets get back to economics. The path he put us on lead to almost 30 years of economic growth.

Oh, and he did all this while fighting constantly with Tip ONeal and the Dem controlled House. You know the guys that screwed him over on the amnesty. Opps lost the money for border security sorry Ronny.

7. slavenomore

That economic growth was growth in the finance sector. Transferring power to finance from labor.. ..which has left is right where we are now.
    Importers not exporters.
    In debt.
    Right where finance wants us.

The military stuff doesn't impress me.

All the stuff you say is ideals that alot still think of as good and still want to aspire too.
    It needs scrapped.
    The GOP prides itself on foreign relations from Reagan till now.

Military and foreign focus and simultaneously allowing Wall street and the banks and corporations to do what they want here took GOP focus from labor and job right here.

The world and the few worldly people benefitting is not good for the nation.

I saw what happened here under Reagan and saw decline. That decline goes on till now.
    The sucking sound started rolling under Reagan.
    And the national mindset of allowing business and banks to have everything they want whilst depleting union jobs and numbers brought us here.
    What happened here and in Detroit will spread to the whole country, redstates too, if labor has no voice.
    You'll never be cheap as a communist Chinese and business wants cheap. Since Reagan they get what they want.

8. Starkravinloon

Starkravinloon Hero's Falling At Home

No, his was the closest thing to Hope/Change that we've seen in decades... Much more than the one that made the phrase popular and lied... Why do you think Clinton had very little to do in his reign.. Why do you think he had all that time to promote cigar sales and Chinese laundry outlets? He had more time to do absolutely nothing, than any President in American history.... Example: What if Clinton would have had what Bush had? 3 national disasters.. Terrorism(well, he did have that, but he passed on reacting to it).... I despise Clinton, as much as you do Reagan, but Clinton's job was made easy by Reagan...Until ! He wanted to make his mark and created the housing bust.... Now, I will admit, that Bush should have seen it coming... But Democrats are notorious for starting something and not seeing it through.... They always leave it to someone else to deal with, like what's going on now...

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  9. Bubba74

really, I seem to remember a little car company called Chrysler that was on the verge of bankrupcy, that was saved along with those thousands of jobs. Oh, and as a side note, Chrysler did repay every penny given to them by the tax payer, unlike GM.

Lets throw Harley Davidson into that mix as well.
    Oh and the tarifts applied to foreign manufactured motor cycles

Glad That You Asked. Did The Reagan Administration US Safeguards Save Harley-Davidson in the 1980s? at Cyril Huze Post

Other stuff from "Free Trader" Reagan

https://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=489

10. slavenomore

Kyklos Productions

I like to post stories from Paul Craig Roberts.but nowadays he doesn't praise the Reagan years.
    Maybe he did in 2011 when this article was written against PCR.

I agree with the writer here.
    He explains the stuff Reagan began which has continued.
    The stuff he did was no good.
    I began driving in '91 and the Northeast is my region.
    Very depressing after Reagan.

11. slavenomore

I,'ve seen on more than one site that 1979 was the peak of American manufacturing jobs.
    21 million.

Reagan was elected for, 1980.

What happened then continues.

12. Bubba74

probably, however what was going on in 1979/1980?

Massive recession, 21% interest rates, incompetant leadership
    America industry ws getting its but kicked by the Japanese, why?
    Automation in Japan vs 50 guys doing the same job as 1 robot here. Plants had to automate to compete. When plants animate, people lose their jobs. (of course under Reagan unlike to millions of jobs were created so people were able to transition from one career to another vs today where they draw their 2 years of unemployment then go on disability)

Just wait, these morons that want $15 an hour to flip burgers will eventually be replaced by a machine.