Holland | Freeze buying new trucks ??

Double clutching? how many clutch pedals do you have? I've learned to do without although, that left side brake pedal goes damn near to the floor.
I should probably write that up. Along with the right side turn signal. turn that on and the trailer brakes lock up.

Fix at home terminal.

Reactions: ESP
A comment on the Mack M-Drive. I love gear jamming as much as the next guy. My 2013 KW has a 13 speed. But the I-Shift/M-Drive AMT's are very nice transmissions.

I've driven a couple of I-Shift rigs over the years, both of them equipped with an "Eco-Roll" feature. All you had to do was set the Jake to auto and set the cruise control. Then set the auto Jake to engage at higher speed than you'd get to on a hill. Georgia overdrive and you don't have to do anything for it to work.

The Manual mode with shifter buttons is great. Without it, you're just commanding it to hold a gear so it's a waste of time. That being said, the I-Shift isn't as stupid and slow as she Eaton. Volvo packs them into heavy duty 750hp logging rigs in Sweden. If your truck can't pull a hill, it's not the tranny, it's the engine.

According to district 1 (Potter) we are getting new tractors into the system in July. I asked him myself. He is in Memphis trying to hire a TM.
Potter has his hands full trying to get somebody to "APPLY" for manager and hopefully he can hire somebody younger than the "75 year old " Grandpa they brought back out of retirement up in MSP for manager !!:confusion:

Potter has his hands full trying to get somebody to "APPLY" for manager and hopefully he can hire somebody younger than the "75 year old " Grandpa they brought back out of retirement up in MSP for manager !!:confusion:
SL assistant TM got more accomplished the one week he was here than the previous TM did all last year. TShack here this week. Ex Yellow TM has applied. At least he is from Memphis.

SL assistant TM got more accomplished the one week he was here than the previous TM did all last year. TShack here this week. Ex Yellow TM has applied. At least he is from Memphis.
Hope, T-Shack gets you a better one then he got us , guy hates being our barn & tells us that daily !

Rear axle driver adjustable air tag is good, Lead tandem axle automatic adjusting air tag bad.
The old Louisville Ford and later Sterlings were set up with driver controlled rear tag. Best tractors I ever drove on ice and snow. Never used or needed chains in my 16 years there.
Yellow's automatic adjusting lead tandem air tag was the worst. Getting stuck on level ice was not uncommon. No way to manually shift weight to drive axle. What Yellow drivers used to call "the cement mixer truck" Fords were the worst. Single axle cab-overs were next. Treacherous.
tell that to the city guys that spend their whole day not being able to get out of docks and parking lots

tell that to the city guys that spend their whole day not being able to get out of docks and parking lots
I guess some would call that "preaching to the choir" It has always seemed that whoever decides on what to buy when it comes to new equipment, can't figure out that just maybe they should get the opinions on what works and what don't from the people that actually drive that equipment.
But then that would be common sense - something the company big wigs lack entirely.

Problem is the GUY buying & ordering these new junk drive-smart tag axle trucks ,has NEVER EVER DROVE A TRUCK !! rip the good old STERLING'S !!
Amen to that ! Oops, I forgot - saying Amen is no longer politically correct. The Democrats now even object fervently if even a prayer is said prior to a town hall meeting. What's next? No national anthem at NASCAR races, baseball games or NHL games? No flags on Flag Day ? No more Christian crosses or Stars of David displayed at cemeteries?

Amen to that ! Oops, I forgot - saying Amen is no longer politically correct. The Democrats now even object fervently if even a prayer is said prior to a town hall meeting. What's next? No national anthem at NASCAR races, baseball games or NHL games? No flags on Flag Day ? No more Christian crosses or Stars of David displayed at cemeteries?
Back to original subject - When I worked at TNT Holland, (before it became USF Holland), they were running what was called "Louisville Ford" tractors (conventional day cab tandems with rear air tag). These were good nearly indestructible tractors, very good on snow and ice. Ford sold their Louisville based heavy truck division to Freightliner in 1997 and the Sterling line was re-born in Canada. I drove those and liked them until I was forced to take an International (that I did not want) a few years later. That International was brand new (plastic cover still on the seat - factory marking still on the side-glass) having been brought in on a towed "double stack" from the factory. That brand new truck lasted exactly 88 miles before it broke down. Waited over 5 hours before an old Louisville city unit was towed out to me from another Holland terminal. I drove that old city unit for 6 months, dodging the International assigned to me. If I had to peddle in the terminal that the repaired International was sitting in, I'd just do my thing and leave it behind. I hated those Internationals. Finally a foreign driver brought that International to my terminal one night before I left. The dispatcher said "Hey, you got your new truck back". I told him I didn't want it back. I said to give it to a younger guy - I'll keep the old one. He called CD and said, "CD said tough ::shit::, you gotta take it back" I hated that truck till the day I retired.
I hope you guys have got better stuff to drive now.

Last edited:
Back to original subject - When I worked at TNT Holland, (before it became USF Holland), they were running what was called "Louisville Ford" tractors (conventional day cab tandems with rear air tag). These were good nearly indestructible tractors, very good on snow and ice. Ford sold their Louisville based heavy truck division to Freightliner in 1997 and the Sterling line was re-born in Canada. I drove those and liked them until I was forced to take an International (that I did not want) a few years later. That International was brand new (plastic cover still on the seat - factory marking still on the side-glass) having been brought in on a towed "double stack" from the factory. That brand new truck lasted exactly 88 miles before it broke down. Waited over 5 hours before an old Louisville city unit was towed out to me from another Holland terminal. I drove that old city unit for 6 months, dodging the International assigned to me. If I had to peddle in the terminal that the repaired International was sitting in, I'd just do my thing and leave it behind. I hated those Internationals. Finally a foreign driver brought that International to my terminal one night before I left. The dispatcher said "Hey, you got your new truck back". I told him I didn't want it back. I said to give it to a younger guy - I'll keep the old one. He called CD and said, "CD said tough :::shit:::, you gotta take it back" I hated that truck till the day I retired.
Left my volvo in Indy to go to dealer. Gary gave me a cornbinder that rode like ::shit:: did on 59/60 but hey it pulled like a freight train with no shift limiter on 56k on odometer.

Back to original subject - When I worked at TNT Holland, (before it became USF Holland), they were running what was called "Louisville Ford" tractors (conventional day cab tandems with rear air tag). These were good nearly indestructible tractors, very good on snow and ice. Ford sold their Louisville based heavy truck division to Freightliner in 1997 and the Sterling line was re-born in Canada. I drove those and liked them until I was forced to take an International (that I did not want) a few years later. That International was brand new (plastic cover still on the seat - factory marking still on the side-glass) having been brought in on a towed "double stack" from the factory. That brand new truck lasted exactly 88 miles before it broke down. Waited over 5 hours before an old Louisville city unit was towed out to me from another Holland terminal. I drove that old city unit for 6 months, dodging the International assigned to me. If I had to peddle in the terminal that the repaired International was sitting in, I'd just do my thing and leave it behind. I hated those Internationals. Finally a foreign driver brought that International to my terminal one night before I left. The dispatcher said "Hey, you got your new truck back". I told him I didn't want it back. I said to give it to a younger guy - I'll keep the old one. He called CD and said, "CD said tough :::shit:::, you gotta take it back" I hated that truck till the day I retired.
My dad owned 3 Louisville Ford's during the old days. 1993 LTL9000 with the big hood and quad headlights. 1994 LTA9000 daycab with an 11.1L Detroit and a 1997 Aeromax with the bullet sleeper. You couldn't kill those rigs.