TForce | freight dead?

peteb2006

TB Lurker
Credits
I don't know about any where else but freight in GVL is gone compared to last year at this time.... has anyone heard anything good about when UPS will release some of that "promised" freight?

we're dying in the south.....

The freight is dead up my way in the Mid-Altantic. They have been sending drivers home or calling them and telling them to stay home. I talked to our guy who runs line haul up to Philly and he said it is dead there.

overnite destroyed motor cargo million dollars freight day in the west...now we are all bankrupt....is unemployment starting to sound good? promises of massive amounts of freight, promises of better wages and benefits......hold your breath for the promises because you will be awfully blue or dead before that happens....

webidiot said:
overnite destroyed motor cargo million dollars freight day in the west...now we are all bankrupt....is unemployment starting to sound good? promises of massive amounts of freight, promises of better wages and benefits......hold your breath for the promises because you will be awfully blue or dead before that happens....

I doubt that it was Overnite that destroyed MC. Overnite is no more, MC and Overnite are now UPSF. Unless you are personally banrupt, your statement is untrue. So, you are not making any more money than you were making over a year ago? Your heath insruance is not at a better rate than it was a year ago? Sure, it may not be drastic changes, but it is still better than it was last year.

I know we are much slower in freight volumes in Rochester due to lost manufacturing.

We are the Home of Kodak.
A lot of their manufacturing has moved to Mexico.

Kodak has been tearing down buildings,so they don't have to continue paying taxes on them.

They've also sold other buildings to outside buisnesses.

Kodak is famous for film.

Now days almost all photography is didgital.

We are also the home of many clothing companies that have relocated out of the country.

Baush,and Lomb started here.
Now only the offices ,and one small plant remain.
Almost all their business went south.

We have Xerox also, but they are not the size they were a few years ago.

All these businesses outsourced to other smaller shops in our area,that are either gone,or reduced to much smaller operations.

We used to have two General Motors plants.
We are down to one with a smaller operation,which is working in bankruptcy.

So you see our freight levels are off just because theres a ripple efect that takes place when business,goes away.

The larger companies around here truck with the lower cost truckload trucking companies.
All the LTL is done by LTL companies that offer the best rates.

As long as there is freight to haul somewhere, there has to be trucks that move it.
If you can't haul it cheaper than your competion,you won't have much to haul.

Thats life in these here United States.
Everyone shops for the best price.

Valerie said:
So, you are not making any more money than you were making over a year ago? Your heath insruance is not at a better rate than it was a year ago? Sure, it may not be drastic changes, but it is still better than it was last year.

Nothing really will change where he's from, as far as benefits and pay. Their under a teamsters contract.

webidiot said:
overnite management is alive and well and they are in control don't kid yourself and it will not get better keep drinking the kool-aid and dream on.

You should learn how to read . the statement val. made is very true!!!!! This will continue for at the very least another year..... before we start seeing massive changes there is still alot to do operationally...... As far as the freight is concearned we will not see a rise untill we are operationally sound and UPS will be making that decision.

webidiot said:

It would sound good to me just knowing you will be gone.

Skeeter said:
It would sound good to me just knowing you will be gone.

Skeeter,
Dave has been dead in the water.. Last load he ran was Sunday from Fresno to Medford. took his 30 off now its Thrusday PM and was told he would have a load out tonight at 9:00 hahahahaa!!!! that never happened but then he stoped holding his breath along time ago now he goes about his day and his evenings and when they call and tell him to be in the yard in a hr then he plans his day or evening. He was also told that UPS signed contracts with a few of the companies that have been hauling UPSF and the contracts are up until 12-01-2006, but who in the **** do you believe anymore, for 2 months they have been saying the loads are going to cut loose so many loads everyone is going to be CRYING for days off.... hahahaha!!! I guess they lost the knife to cut those ropes in the take over. He said the BIG BOSS will be in Medford tomarrow we'll see what kinda lies he has now. We just hope he has the transfer papers, Hell atleaset he would be home doing things that need to be done around here, We had started remodeling the house 3 yrs ago and he could be finishing it, most of the stuff thats needs done now are things I can't do by myself. And the checkbook has no more checks in it to pay anyone to do it for me.:wacko:

To my understanding, UPS hall's 72-76% of the parcel volume in the good ol' USA. Now that's a lotta customers. Hopefully the sales people will be out pushing UPSF to those customers at the 1st of the year and yall are overflowing and working under a union contarct when that happens. Yall will be in my prayers.

webidiot said:
overnite management is alive and well and they are in control don't kid yourself and it will not get better keep drinking the kool-aid and dream on.

All I can say about Overnite management being alive and well is, if UPS did not want them there, they would be gone.

Valerie said:
All I can say about Overnite management being alive and well is, if UPS did not want them there, they would be gone.
Too many politics involved for it to be that easy. Wish it were that way (maybe), then this process might go faster but I am sure that when all this goes on they have rules of what they can and can't do while taking over. Like who can automatically be replaced orthat they be given a certain amount of time before changes can be made. Not sure if all that is true but it makes me feel better to look at that way.

webidiot said:

Web...... I will agree with one statement you made. Overnite boss's ran out the M.C. boys :bicycle: They didn't want to listen to what works on the west coast, 80+yrs. of experience down the toilet. No more next day service 500 miles is now two day+ service
{ Now I'm a costumer Phoenix Az. to Sacramento Ca. in three days or San Diego Ca. to Phoenix Az. in two days WOW heck yes I'll stay here with UPSF? NOT! I'm going to FDX,CWX,SAIA,OD they can get it there in two or one and it's in one piece} Like M.C used to do. No wonder we run so many mty miles.

Valerie said:

In some cases it has already happened up here.... And a few more come the 1'st of the year.... Mostly mgnt.'s upper echelon.

I personaly think that all the higher ups had plenty of Overnite stock shares that they cashed in when Ups took us over.

If I had an idea that UPS was going to pay so much for the old Overnite stock, I'd of taken a second mortgage on my house,and made a very large Overnite stock purchase.

All water under the birdge now.
Hindsight is worthless.

But upper management might of had a good idea of what was going down,and took care of their future.

Maybe just my opinion,I think they got laws against having inside info on buyouts?
This is something us regular UPS Freight workers will never now.

So if your in top of company management,and you really cash in on a stock buy out,you won't be counting your profits on a sunny south sea island?

You'll be spending it on lawyers,and bail bondsman?

Than if I had any idea that the Overnite stock was to really pay off in the not to distant future,like it did.
Had I took out a sizable loan against my home equidy,and made a very nice profit I'd be spending some time in the steel hotel.
Well if thats the case.
I'm glad I'm still working for a living.

APO,
Only if you had "insider" information bro.
There's no law against buying and selling on a hunch. There would be a lotta folks locked up if there was