XPO | Freight firm closes Atlanta unit

brutus

TB Veteran
Credits
Freight company Con-way Inc. says it has closed an Atlanta unit with about 100 employees.

Con-way, based in San Meteo, Calif., said the shutdown of the Atlanta domestic air freight unit followed a review of its "competitive position and its prospects in relation to the corporation's long-term strategies."

The company added that its core business is ground freight and logistics.

Con-way, which has revenues of about $4.2 billion, said it will take an $8 million charge related to leases, asset write-offs and severance payments stemming from the shutdown.

http://www.ajc.com

I work at the Help Desk in Portland. On Friday, we had calls coming in from Con-way Air asking "Why can't we logon?" They had no clue. Neither did we.

brutus said:
Freight company Con-way Inc. says it has closed an Atlanta unit with about 100 employees.

Con-way, based in San Meteo, Calif., said the shutdown of the Atlanta domestic air freight unit followed a review of its "competitive position and its prospects in relation to the corporation's long-term strategies."

The company added that its core business is ground freight and logistics.

Con-way, which has revenues of about $4.2 billion, said it will take an $8 million charge related to leases, asset write-offs and severance payments stemming from the shutdown.

http://www.ajc.com

Was this Emery Air Freight?..........KK

Kennesaw Kid said:
Was this Emery Air Freight?..........KK

No, Emery (Menlo Wordwide Forwarding) was a componant of Menlo Worldwide and was sold to UPS about a year and a half ago. This is Con-way's air freight forwarding company, Con-way Forwarding (recently known as Con-way Air Express).

Craigory451 said:
No, Emery (Menlo Wordwide Forwarding) was a componant of Menlo Worldwide and was sold to UPS about a year and a half ago. This is Con-way's air freight forwarding company, Con-way Forwarding (recently known as Con-way Air Express).

Thanks for the info..........I stand corrected!....KK

My, my, how history repeats itself. This is only about 100 people. Now let us stand back and see how the rest of the story turns out. Business, such a ugly thing when it comes to taking care of our families.