ODFL | Freight heavy ?

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
I'm hearing freight is very heavy at some terminals.How is it around the system ?

freight way dow here!

freight is not heavy in hickory nc!!! all of our freight is on UPS trailers around here!! i guess they can have it if they are going to haul it for nothing like so many others!! hopefuly it will get better one day. just have to wait and see!!!

:smilie_132: kevin

freight is not heavy in hickory nc!!! all of our freight is on UPS trailers around here!! i guess they can have it if they are going to haul it for nothing like so many others!! hopefuly it will get better one day. just have to wait and see!!!

:smilie_132: kevin

That's kind of odd.Usually that's just a way companys have of shuffling their trailers around.Big as UPS is I would think they had enough freight to move their own trailers with their own freight.

Hey at least your car is safer. I do not know what the numbers are but I think freight is up one city driver moved to another position a road driver went back to the city they have put a couple of CDL ready dockworkers on full time city and use a couple of CDL ready dockworkers in the city part time. All these CDL ready dockworkers are graduates from OD truck driving school. I have to put a disclaimer in here because really have noooo idea whats going on or why.

Say ODFL4LIFE I don't understand your post# 2 on this thread?

Are you posting that your customers freight is being moved by UPS parcel trailers?
Or UPS Freight?
Or did you mean to post that a lot of your OD customers have gone to UPS to have them pickup,and deliver the customers freight you used to haul?

Now we are getting busy at UPS Freight,but a lot of our past customers have gone with Fedex Freight because their rates are lower.
Go figure,44 years it the trucking industry,I've learned a whole lot about this racket,we are in,but pricing freight rates is something I'll never figure out?
Why some customers only use a few trucking companies,and why they use them?
Yet other customers use everyone around including the truckload carriers?

Yup pricing stays in the sales department,and their welcome to make their living doing it.
I can only say God bless them,they've got a real tuff job thats for sure!

was out at a customer the other day and they said they were going to switch to another carrier maybe OD. Use to use big O but UPS freight was to high. Maybe things are different in that part of the country.

i notice allot of new shipments from new customers sayin that they were not satisfied with there old carriers and i noticed we lost some cutomers sence that price hike in march. theres plenty of freight in philly i just worry about whats gonna happen in the offseason i hope its not like last year. i also noticed otr companys in my area delivers consolidated loads dude from covenant trans was droppin 4 skids at a place i jus deliverd
said he was headin to more places in pa to make more deliverys makes me think that the low baller otr companys under cut ltl when thins are slow? just a thought

I'm hearing freight is very heavy at some terminals.How is it around the system ?

Things have definately reved up in the last couple of weeks. We got increased freight in GVL and most drivers are taking advantage to get some extra miles.

I was in MRT and GBO the last couple of days and both places say it's hard keeping any mty's on hand. MRT is just plain crowded with so many trailers & freight.

Things have definately reved up in the last couple of weeks. We got increased freight in GVL and most drivers are taking advantage to get some extra miles.

I was in MRT and GBO the last couple of days and both places say it's hard keeping any mty's on hand. MRT is just plain crowded with so many trailers & freight.

It changes day to day. Go to MRT Wed or Thurs and the freight gets thin. Went to HAR the other day and pulled empties out of there and the other 2 or 3 in frt. of me heading west had empties.
It's really hard to judge from a drivers standpoint as you don't see the big picture. i just wonder what the freight companies think, again they're having the big hiring blitz with radio ads and all the rest. They'll have them all trained and ready just about the time the freight slows down. Then they'll sit at the house and starve until they quit and then the cycle starts over. I thin they're running out of people that can pass a drug and haz mat test.

Say ODFL4LIFE I don't understand your post# 2 on this thread?

Are you posting that your customers freight is being moved by UPS parcel trailers?
Or UPS Freight?
Or did you mean to post that a lot of your OD customers have gone to UPS to have them pickup,and deliver the customers freight you used to haul?

Now we are getting busy at UPS Freight,but a lot of our past customers have gone with Fedex Freight because their rates are lower.
Go figure,44 years it the trucking industry,I've learned a whole lot about this racket,we are in,but pricing freight rates is something I'll never figure out?
Why some customers only use a few trucking companies,and why they use them?
Yet other customers use everyone around including the truckload carriers?

Yup pricing stays in the sales department,and their welcome to make their living doing it.
I can only say God bless them,they've got a real tuff job thats for sure!

I was meaning that UPS Freight had taken a lot of freight away from us in hickory nc not that we were letting them move it for us or other way around!!! since the frist of the year UPS has took a big white chuck out butts from cutting prices so low sorry guys should have explained myself a little better on that one!!!

Kevin

Thats ok my truckingboard friend,I thought that maybe what you wanted to post,but I wasn't sure if you were saying the UPS small parcel,or their freight division UPS Freight.
But thanks for the up-date.
I wounder where all of this freight discounting will end up?
Your company has lost customers to UPS Freight,and we at UPS Freight has lost customers to Fedex Freight.

These LTL companies have to make some money hauling stuff,because how are they going to pay for their high costs of operating thei company?

I've seen this possibility happen before. several large companies compete strongly for each others business. Finally getting down to one or two. Because of the huge debt and operating cost the winner or winners are weak. Another large company that was associated but not directly competing for the business but has huge national or worldwide influence (a company no one suspected) than uses its influence and snatches up all the business.

I realize Yellow, UPS and Fed X are huge companies but their are much larger corporations than these.

so far this week stl and ind all where heavy with frieght but coh was not im now on my ten in gbo they said there expecting alot of frieght tonight also seen those vst guys pulling our trailors again in ind this week hope they don't start taking runs from us again like last year

Extra work

GBO is asking for an extra 5 hours about every week and already asking for an extra day at the end of the month.Get it while it's there to get.

Just received a Phone call from GVL Terminal.
Have to stay at home this night. Beside me there is another driver staying home this night, and I now that one has taken off tonight anyway.
That makes 3 Linehauldrivers off tonight.

Were hammer down and in OverDrive over here in the Midwest.

I've seen this time after time.Some terminals blown out others sweeping the floors.I wonder how many of the big terminals are working loads that should have went around them ? Also wonder how many trailers were loaded stupid having 1 or 2 shipments in the nose that changed a H/L to one that had to be stripped to the plywood at another terminal then consolidated and moved on.Who knows ? All this was always past my education.